New enclosure design- Vortex by Flare Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ports which are too small can give that behavior once called "port rectification" which can offset the cone from center (I've seen that outwards under sinewave testing of reflex) Their approach may more more mysticism bragging rights than result (?). Wheezy small vents tuned high can exhibit horrific vent velocities, high harmonic distortion when driven with pure tones. Input impedance would vary under drive. I once ran a 3.6 cubic foot reflex tuned with 42 - 3/8" holes (~40Hz small signal fb) in a half inch thick port board - at 10 watts and sine at fb - it felt like a window fan :D and would have worked pretty well since the Peavey speaker had a 4" voice coil.

I'd still like to see an Akabak sim of that Flare 12" box and love to see someone tackle a Karlson with ABEC.

@ chris661 & NATDBERG

I just don't see how swirling the air gives any benefits to audio ?

That's good! We're hopefully here to learn - both if it does or if it doesn't.

The premise is that the ports releave the driver of the pressure of a box like an OB, and that the vortexes prevent the pressure wave from interfering with the pressure wave from the front of the driver (isn't that why we use a cabinet in the first place, to separate the front and rear pressure waves?).

It seems quite possible in my mind that such disruption to the shape and direction of the pressure wave by creating a vortex could easily prevent it from interfering with the one from the front of the driver.

When I imagine the air flowing into the chamber, I see only part of the air passing out, the rest swirling around again and then exiting on a second, third revolution inside (depending on the frequency of the presure wave I guess). Just that thought if correct, to me, suggests the pressure wave is attenuated (by being split into smaller parts) and then also delayed (by part of the air being split and released later). This delayed pressure wave could now be out of phase by 180 degrees and so cancelling .

Thinking about this aspect, there surely could be also other ways of splitting air flow and causing deliberate out of phase cancellations from the rear of the driver?

For a give chamber size, the phase shifts will only be around 180' for a small range of frequencies and hence, I guess, why the 4 or 5 driver line up for their full range hifi speaker? Definately in the PA world, you'll be using a multi-driver array of about 4 different drivers.

It's a shame this thread was opened in the "full range" part of the forum. I don't think it would work well for a full range driver at all, only multi-way speaker.

Were the speakers out in the room or closer to a wall? Would you say they have a polar response similar to a dipole?

The ones I checked out were up high but at least a metre from walls, at the bar for instance.

I don't think there would be much from the back either but I didn't actually get to put my head behind - could have done as a smaller set were used for DJ monitors facing away from the bar area.

So polar-like but not dipole.

Look like they were the V12C models and V8C for the DJ.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Never measured a speaker from the rear, but remembering all those PA systems I've heard from the back, the muffled and boxy voices sounds like there might be sounds "leaking" through the cabinet walls. Much like how you can hear the people in the next room through the walls in a cheap hotel. So the rear dispersion might just be cabinet resonance and sound leakage. Side dispersion I think is just wavelength and speaker diameter related.

Last edited:
That's what I presume is going on, disrupting the organised presure wave into something more chaotic and phase canclled.

I am quite enthusiastic about it too from a DIY perspective - really not too difficult to implement other than work out the size of the vortex bits for each driver's range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.