New Doug Self pre-amp design...

5532 replacement, ON SEMICONDUCTOR MC33072

Hi,

just have put together the parts list for the Elektor Line Preamp 2012 on the Farnell website.

For the 5532 op amp the ON Semiconductor MC33072 is listed as 'recommended' replacement.
(not 33078...)

On first glance: 1/2 the bandwidth, but higher slew rate.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/78609.pdf

Interesting operating voltages from +/-3 to 44V.

Any experiences, comments?
Price is about the same as the TI NE5532

Thanks a lot.
Thomas

@audiothomas

I wish I had the experience to answer your specific question.

For myself, I was able to obtain an ample supply of ONSemi 5532's for my build. But they were hard to find.

I look forward to your build. Please show your work.

I have been collecting the materials (piece by piece as my budget will allow) for my own build. I have enjoyed viewing other members work. It keeps me motivated toward my own build.

Hi,

took a closer look at the data.
Apparently this is a very noisy op amp.

The value for input noise voltage is 32 nv /root Hz.
A typo?
The 5532 has a value of 5 special low noise design even less. 5534 at 3,2.

The input current noise is low at 0,2 pA/root Hz, which is a pretty low value for a bipolar transistor based op amp.
Still far away from FET based op amps.

So, I stick with the 5532.

Mouser stocks NE5532APs but why to use dual op-amps in DIY audio when even somewhat better single op-amps are available allowing for better channel separation. We are not running commercial operations which might require some cost cutting. Besides, costs of electronic components going into our equipment are marginal comparing to hardware costs and costs of PS in PAs.

cheers,

Mouser stocks NE5532APs but why to use dual op-amps in DIY audio when even somewhat better single op-amps are available allowing for better channel separation. We are not running commercial operations which might require some cost cutting. Besides, costs of electronic components going into our equipment are marginal comparing to hardware costs and costs of PS in PAs.

If you use the 5534A single then you will get less noise, and in some places in the preamp it can be lightly compensated for more than unity gain which should give a linearity advantage.

The dual-package/crosstalk is not an issue because you would never run both channels through the same dual package unless you were looking for trouble. It's easy to assign the opamps so that the channels can be kept quite separate.

Once again, there is more on this in Self On Audio 3rd edition, which should be hitting the shelves just about now.

Last edited:
Since Elector 2012 is not available anymore in EU, where can I find the schematic of this pre amp?
Think about it, you are asking someone to make a copyright infringement right in front of the author, so why would I be crazy enough to do that?
I am a Elektor green member, these articles are available on line, if you are a member. Yes that means spending some $. It is worth while imo and the only one I subscribe too.
I can even download the gerber files and get my own pcb's made. It seems only the
110650-1_vol_bal_bas_tre_v120 is available. Not sure why the phono amp is not available.
The use of our Gerber files is provided under a modified Creative Commons license. Creative Commons offers authors, scientists, educators and other creatives the freedom to handle their copyright in a more free way without losing their ownership.
So you have a free pcb with no schematic :)

Last edited:
You are right. I am not interested in the pcb or the gerber. I just collect such schematics for analysis purposes.

Think about it, you are asking someone to make a copyright infringement right in front of the author, so why would I be crazy enough to do that?
I am a Elektor green member, these articles are available on line, if you are a member. Yes that means spending some $. It is worth while imo and the only one I subscribe too.
I can even download the gerber files and get my own pcb's made. It seems only the
110650-1_vol_bal_bas_tre_v120 is available. Not sure why the phono amp is not available.
The use of our Gerber files is provided under a modified Creative Commons license. Creative Commons offers authors, scientists, educators and other creatives the freedom to handle their copyright in a more free way without losing their ownership.
So you have a free pcb with no schematic :)

If Doug or anyone else wants to post the article that is up to themselves, they can deal with Elektor, if it comes to that.
I respect Elektor and will not break their copyright, since I have no permission from them. Others have their own opinions, I am stating mine.
Ask a moderator, Mooly for instance, to post the Elektor article, see what he has to say in the matter. Might be breaking a forum rule too, I'd have to check.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If Doug or anyone else wants to post the article that is up to themselves, they can deal with Elektor, if it comes to that.
I respect Elektor and will not break their copyright, since I have no permission from them. Others have their own opinions, I am stating mine.
Ask a moderator, Mooly for instance, to post the Elektor article, see what he has to say in the matter. Might be breaking a forum rule too, I'd have to check.

I wouldn't even pretend to understand how the laws of copyright would work here, but if I was simply asked then I would say rsavas is correct.

What I do have is Elektor 2012 in front of me and it says:

...all drawings, text, articles etc are copyright Elektor and may not be reproduced in any form without written permission from Elektor...

So as to hosting/posting the circuit details here we would have to say no.

If Doug wished to host the schematics on his site and provide a freely available link then it would be fine to use that on the forum as it would be reasonably assumed that as the author, he had permission to host the material.

Hope that clarifies things.