New Aleph Mini PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rabstg said:
Brian-

Thanks for the quick reply.

What is the maximum recommended voltage for the Mini-A?

Better yet, it would prolly behoove you to just put a min/max type chart on your Min-A web page so people don't ask the same question over and over.

On a side note, what SW do you use to design your web pages?

content="Brian Bell, with assistance from Purple Coral www.purplecoral.com"

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Ok, I thought I'd post the P.O. levels and distortion measurements here as well....... There are two rail voltages, +/- 15 volts and +/- 20. The Mini seems to tolerate the 20 volt rails pretty well provided adaquate sinking.

15 Volt rails......

8 OHM LOAD:

9.9 watts Clip Point 8.9 volts .22%

2.5 watts 4.5 volts .079%

.5 Watts 2.0 volts .05%

4 OHM LOAD:

9 Watts Clip Point 6 Volts .92%

5 watts 4.5 Volts .12%

1Watt 2 Volts .13%

20 Volt rails....

8 Ohm Load

18 Watts Clip Point 12 Volts 1.0%

4.5 watts 6 Volts .13%

.5 watts 2 Volts .05%

Mark

Troy,

Here is what Mark posted a while back regarding the rail voltages.. 20v.

Regarding the webpage, Vikash made the chipamp.com webpage for me, and I took the source and modified it (with a couple new graphics) to make the aleph order page.

--
Brian

Mini Aleph PCB order page:
http://www.chipamp.com/aleph

Hey Brian-

I saw that, but that is using the Mini-A to drive loudspeakers.

I will most likely run the Mini-A regulated @ 15 volts but have higher unregulated rails for the output boards. I guess I should have been more specific the first time.

Is there a know maximum for the output boards other than the semi conductors max voltage rating? I was planning 24VAC secondaries with +/- 35 VDC on the output boards..

Joined 2002
rabstg said:
Hey Brian-

I saw that, but that is using the Mini-A to drive loudspeakers.

I will most likely run the Mini-A regulated @ 15 volts but have higher unregulated rails for the output boards. I guess I should have been more specific the first time.

Is there a know maximum for the output boards other than the semi conductors max voltage rating? I was planning 24VAC secondaries with +/- 35 VDC on the output boards..

Aleph 5 uses 3 output devices per bank to make 60w per channel on +/- 34v rails.

I bought a 4x25vac 1kva transformer that I was looking to use to make a stereo Aleph 5 amp with.

I will try eventually try building it with these boards. Have a look at the Aleph 5 service manual:
http://www.passlabs.com/downloads/old product/a4serv0.pdf

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Jean said:
Boards look great as always. I have a question about R3 and R4 on the PSU board. This gives an option for CRC wiring, but am I correct to assume that it would have to be wired externally since it will probably get too hot even if a to220 is mounted in there ?

Great job btw, i'll be ordering soon :D

For the power supply, the default configuration would be to just put a short circuit jumper, instead of using a resistor, as that is the way that the original Aleph amps were built. Since the current draw from the supply is constant, there really isn't a need for a CRC supply.

The pads should accomidate larger resistors, which could also be wired off board.

--
Brian

Hi all
I’m new to amp building, so can someone confirm with all the info buried in the number of pages, if I’ve got this all straight please:

To build stereo (not monoblock) amps: two*each of:
a 30 watt Aleph 30
*and a 10 watt miniAleph, for all pieces needed, is it:

Amplifier (from BGT) & PS boards (- *four sets at $32 + shipping) from BGT *plus register at the Wiki (??) :xeye:

Parts kits from JL not yet for sale, but registration of interest on the miniALEPH PCB Component Kits Wiki by the coming Friday.

(And I will need to source chassis and PS - transformers, caps, rectifiers and fuse(s)).

Thanks
:)

transformer question

Hello,

This is my second project so please correct me if I'm incorrect. Still learning...

I have a 300 va 12-0-12 transformer that sounds like it would be suitable for an aleph-mini. From what I understand, it should be more then sufficient but I was wondering if adjusting the bias allow the circuit to produce more then 10wpc? It seems that increasing the output for class A can be achieved either by increasing the bias or the voltage?

Planning on ordering a set of boards from Brain and parts from Jason so I'd like to figure out which parts to order.

regards

Dave

Joined 2002
rick57 said:
To build stereo (not monoblock) amps: two*each of:
a 30 watt Aleph 30
*and a 10 watt miniAleph, for all pieces needed, is it:

Hello,

1 mini Aleph pcb set can build either 1 mini-A or 1 A30, so if you wanted to build 2 stereo A30 amps, and 1 stereo mini-A, you would need 3 mini Aleph PCB sets and 3 power supply pcbs.

--
Brian

Re: transformer question

rick57 said:
Freight to here (Australia) would alas kill the value on heavy bits like chassis & transformers, but all the rest would be good.

phoneisbusy said:
I have a 300 va 12-0-12 transformer that sounds like it would be suitable for an aleph-mini.

Rick-
Australia is the BEST place to get heat sinks. Conrad is right there and have excellent heat sinks reasonably priced.

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/

Dave-
If you use the output boards 12-0-12 x 300va will get you around 20-25 wpc.

Jason-
I'm signed up on the Wiki for some parts kits but I would like to pay for them if the price is now stable ;) .

Will you be accepting Paypal or first borns only? I'm JOKING. 7:51 AM here... Maybe it's too early to start having fun.. Sorry.

Anyway, I do thank you for doing the parts kits. Really helpful.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: transformer question

phoneisbusy said:

I have a 300 va 12-0-12 transformer that sounds like it would be suitable for an aleph-mini. From what I understand, it should be more then sufficient but I was wondering if adjusting the bias allow the circuit to produce more then 10wpc? It seems that increasing the output for class A can be achieved either by increasing the bias or the voltage?

Dave,

Your transformer will give limit the power output to around
12 W or so into 8 ohms. This is just a function of the limited
voltage swing.

The bias in the original mini-A is about 1A per rail. This is
just enough to give the 10W at 8 ohms. Below 8 ohms,
the output drops because you're now limited by the bias
current. Increasing the bias will help will lower impedence
load. Besides, distortion on these devices drop with
higher current.

In your case, you may consider running the bias up
closer to 2A. Your transformer will be fine. With
adequate heatsinking, the output devices will also be ok.

Cheers,
Dennis

OK... Now I'm confused. I intend to build a 4 channel, 30w/c amp. I ordered 2 Mini-Aleph kits and 2 PS board kits. From what I read above, this is not correct. Do I need to order 2 more mini-Aleph kits?

Brian, have you identified an Avel that's just right for a 30w/c amp?

It would seem that where there's enough VA in their product line, there may be too much voltage.

Thank you in advance for your patience with this nuub stuff.

chipco3434 said:
OK... Now I'm confused. I intend to build a 4 channel, 30w/c amp. I ordered 2 Mini-Aleph kits and 2 PS board kits. From what I read above, this is not correct. Do I need to order 2 more mini-Aleph kits?

It would seem that where there's enough VA in their product line, there may be too much voltage.

One PCB set will make one stereo Mini A or A30.

Regards

Anthony

Joined 2002
chipco3434 said:

Sorry for the confusion. 1 amplifier pcb set = 2 channels, which can be used with or without the outboards.

With regards to the transformer, the A30 uses +/- 25vdc rails, so a 2x18 vac transformer should work well. I haven't decided what VA to use for this. The A30 manual states a power consumption of 200w for 2 channels.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.