'New' 3 ways, p13wh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
From a finance point of view lets just cross active off the list. At least for the time being.
I can always go back to it further down the track.

Dave, your idea is a good 1 i think, but I then still need to cross the p22s and without an active filter still expensive, or am i reading your post wrong?
Why woofers on the sides as opposed 1 front 1 rear firing?

Mick.

Actually when you price out the parts to XO that low, active can be cheaper... particularily if you can get away with PLLXO and have a spare amp icking around -- i have a big 70s Marantz receiver i often use for this kind of thing. Pulled it outta the tip & replaced the fuses. On/off switch is perma-on, but that isn't a real issue.

dave

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Mick from a purely financial point of view active could well be cheaper, it depends on whether or not you have an amplifier with pre-outs, as the CX2310 is only $159- at the moment and even winding your own coils that is line ball with the cost of that much copper.

I only have sub out (mono) on both amps, the two amps sound COMPLETLEY different, is this of any consequence?

CX2310, Jaycar? (Looking into it, sounds like a good idea, although i do consider active cheating a bit, steals from the art a bit, in my eyes, but I'll try anything once).

Thanx, Mick.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also, having the woofers xo'd into the midrange forces them to be mounted on the front baffle, and then you can't take advantage of Dave's (Planet 10) great idea of having the woofers push-push on opposite sides (and the styling opportunities that config opens up).

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I honestly have never listened to an AV amplifier that sounded as good as a dedicated stereo set-up; Bi-amping is easier with a separate pre-amp.
That said you could possibly set the subwoofer out to a reasonable level and frequency, separate the signal with a splitter ( or 4 ) run the P13's on the small setting so they get little below 120Hz and just develop a 2-way XO

The 797 appears to have pre outs.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The way I would do it is like this.

Feed the Pre outs of the 797 into an active crossover. The volume control of the 797 would act as the primary volume control.

Then feed the mid/tweeter output of the active crossover into the 'Main In' of the 797.

Finally feed the bass output of the active crossover into one of the line inputs of the Pioneer.

This way you can set the relative level of the bass with the volume control on the Pioneer and control the overall level with the volume control on the Yamaha.

Of course you can always use the Yam for the bass and the Pion for the mid/tweet.

O.K. All,

The zone two outputs on the Yamaha do not operate off the main volume, but off a second remote. I did at one stage have my speakers 'bi-amped' with this configuration, (pioneer-bass, yamaha-mid/top), but again, every time i wanted to adjust the volume......

The yamaha IS a pure stereo amp, it just happens to have a radio built in.
Although it doesn't seem to have the right connections happening for an active cross setup, which kinda takes me back to square 1.:)

In retrospect, I should have bought an amp i can use for this purpose.:t_ache:

Its not that i don't want to go active and bi amp, its just not that simple ATM ya see.
I just can't see a way around it ATM, and not for a lack of looking, but if i bi-amp ATM
I'm still adjusting two volumes all the time, Have you any idea how annoying that is?:mad:

Thanx Mick.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The zone two outputs on the Yamaha do not operate off the main volume, but off a second remote.

Mick,

Not what we are talking about. Is the amp you have the one 5th Element posted?

It sure looks like it can be sepatated into a pre&power...

dave

Attachments

• pre-main-yama.jpg
    pre-main-yama.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 161
Again, great use of the net!

I completly over looked those (guess I just plain didn't realize, thats what they're all about! d'oh!). WHAT A DOUGHNUT!!!!!

O.K so it can be done, I still don't think the pioneer is the man for the job, so I shall have rectify that first, but at least i'm on the right track now!

Thanks guys for pointing that out to me, just as well those jacks arn't a brown snake, I'd be a dead man by now!!!!:eek:

Mick.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I'll tell you what: give me your address, I'll post you my spare CX2310 and some cannon plugs, use it and play, if you are happy you will know which way to go.

If it breaks while you are using it we can talk about some sort of deal but in the industry they are considered disposable items, too fiddly to fix and only $160- to buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.