'New' 3 ways, p13wh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lady Lambo style diffraction killer.

Sharp edges.......:nownow:

I decided to do something about the problem while I had some time on my hands. In the past I have simply routed a rounded bevel, but, lets face it, it looks pretty bland.

(The answer to this problem, has been around since Adam, and more importantly Eve. Lamboghini have used the shape for years, to make their cars, (even) more appealing to men, (and women alike, so it seems)).

The spouse acceptance factor went up too, so bedtime up, sleep time down:p. So far, so good.

Armed with my trusty small angle grinder, a flapper disc, and a bit of sand paper, I had a moment or two of sanity, and , did this.....and the missus loves the look!;)

I then used both, poly fluff and long fibre wool, in the main chamber, too, to improve the overall sound of the bass.

The second photo, if you look closely enough, you will see pencil lines, below the tweeter hole. This will be the parking place for a polished piece of river red gum. Will post pics when I get that far.

Thanx, Mick.

PS. They do sound better with that work done, by a good margin.:cool:

Attachments

• 3-ways 028.jpg
    3-ways 028.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 3-ways 029.jpg
    3-ways 029.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 3-ways 030.jpg
    3-ways 030.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 72
Thanx Ted,

Yes, The midrange chamber is also well stuffed. From the back, It has a layer of wool, then a layer of polyfill then a piece of thin open cell foam directly behind the driver. The walls of the midrange chamber also have a 6mm thick closed cell foam covering. Standing waves and reflections would have a hard time living in there.

The bottom half of the main chamber, (from the bottom, up), is long fibre wool, then polyfill, then another layer of wool. The bass driver has a piece of thin felt between it and the polyfill. The top half is foam lined.

The effect on sound quality... The bass has tightened up a bit, and has also become more tonal as well, the mid is a little smoother, and the 'hips' really cleaned up the top end quite a bit. There was a slight harshness there before that has completely dissappeared. Overall, is a smoother, more focused and open sound than before.

The look is not getting justice from the photo's IMHO, they do look better in the flesh. By breaking up the lines, They now look a couple of sizes smaller than they really are, and I guess thats what the photo's don't show. They got the nod from the missus, so thats a big bonus!;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.