New 3 Way project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
I'm unable to find frequency response in any form for Monacor SPH-165.

Did you do any simulations?

Edit:
I have found it: http://loudspeakerfreaks.com/datasheets/monacor/sph-165c.pdf
I would choose Dayton DC160 since it is much cheaper and they even provide *.frd file. Monacor may be better, but not 3x and frequency response graph provided is useless.

Indeed, Monacor says it is 33hz to 5000hz, but what I found really suspecious is that they say the vas is 36l which is impossible for a 6.5inch woofer !! however it looks better build with more than 2kg weight

AFAIK, Monacor, sell a software package called CAAD-4.2 which has a database on their drivers.
Monacor CAAD-4.2 Loudspeaker Design Software Solution from Monacor 41.34

The SPH-165 is a polycone with a powerful motor, hence Qts 0.21 and VAS 36L. Fs 33Hz. Efficiency 89dB. Le must be about 2mH (not 1.1mH) for correction purposes looking at the impedance curve.

Not unbelievable at all. The 87dB 1.2mH Le W 170 S - 8 Ohm is not a million miles away, but more closed box at Qts 0.52 and Vas 38L. In practise, you'd usually use about 20L with a 6" bass. Big cabinets get a bit flabby on bass, and power handling is reduced.

Visaton provide a freebie called Boxsim, which can also import non Visaton files with some effort.

Usually with high inductance woofers you add some resistance in the capacitor shunt arm to keep them smooth. A simple LC often gives a peak at crossover, especially as you take crossover higher when inductance becomes significant. A bit of impedance correction, in effect. High inductance woofers generally roll off better than low inductance, and sort of have a bass bafflestep coil built in.

Attachments

• Monacor SPH 165 FR.PNG
    Monacor SPH 165 FR.PNG
    20.9 KB · Views: 285
  • Visaton W170S FR 1.2mH Le.PNG
    Visaton W170S FR 1.2mH Le.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Hello all,

Just an update:
Final design is mtww :
• Tang bang w5-1161 saf
• vifa xt25gt30
• 2 x monacor sph-165 (or may be just one not decided yet, I've bought 2, need 2 more)
Enclosure thoughts:
• Crossover(s) will be placed outside the enclosure
• three direct terminals : 1 for the tweeter, 1 for the TG, one for the 2 monacor (in parallel)
• Medium compartment will contain the TG w5-1611 + the vifa tweeter in bass reflex setup
• Bass compartment will be in Transmission line
Thus :
I would be able to use the enclosure in many combinations :
• Only TG in full range
• Only upper 2 way system vifa + TG
• Only Vifa with Monacor
• All the speakers in 3 way
• Passive/active crossovers

how do that sound to you ?

Yes, 6.5" is not that big. Maybe you could have them in different enclosure like this. One in smaller closed box and one in transmission line. Than you could make smaller closed box (boomy, but bass reflex would probably be to boomy) for Tang Band to compensate baffle step. You can try in simulator.

Hello Lightbit and everyone

I am as much excited as frustrated actually … because I want all I can get, lets begin with my constraints:
- I live in Tunisia and this is my all first project (no one around did it before, and no way to find raw speakers for diy around)
- I’ve been reading for months subjective feedbacks trying to find same points in as much reviews as possible to have a closer idea of what each driver is capable off and its weaknesses
- And for sure Cost $
So resulting from this constraints here is the project main goals:
- Being as much versatile as possible (a design capable of delivering all type of experiences: full range, 2 way, 3 way, active/passive filtering…)
- Drivers are selected from reviews to be compatible with first goal :
- full range driver Alpair 7 is one of the best full range drivers in all feedbacks, it can be place in the upper compartment with the tweeter in a kind of bookshelf horn that will be attached to the woofer TL in bottom
- Vifa xt25gt30 is one of the best tweeter even if reported to be not easy to crossover
- I have a Philips ribbon tweeter, I think of placing it also in the speaker to be able to listing soft/metal tweeter (as the crossover will be placed outside the cabinet)
- The Monacor is one of the rare woofer to go as low as 33hz if it will be dedicated to very low frequencies I am convinced that it will deliver very decent and dynamic bass ….
I know TG W5-1611 will be louder, but I think with the alpair 7 I will not need more than 1 woofer (2 will be two much for it) ….
I know some of the diyers will love to kick me out for this non sense, but this is a kind of lab test for me, maybe I will do better next time, maybe I will split this to one full range horn + 2 ways bookshelf (monacor + xt25) … but I will be able to do it anyway using this design

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi !
The "reports" say that the MA/Alpair is good without the tweeter.
It is engineered to be a good fullrange, thou, so good balance but no overwhelming bass nor treble.
So a simple woofer + FR would suffice. Keep the Philips for treble aid, just in case.
A separate box for each driver would be good, so you can move 'em in space in your room.

I'd swap the position of the woofer and the FR, as I like the woofer to be away from the pavement ( and the ceiling too), and of course very near to the FR.
Still thinking that the SPH165 needs 3rd order to behave well...

hello picowallspeaker

what made me decide to go with the A7, is one diyer saying many good things about it and then moved it to medium to another project. The main idea is what can make more can make less ;) so If wont to test this configuration in a 3 way setup (even if it just for fun/test) the A7 will be good doing only med if needed ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.