New 15" full range - FANE

Oh!
I was looking at the bottom of the front. The front itself was similar to veneer, I was just guessing the stuff at the bottom was the same material. Have seen 3 layer "ply" in some countries, with just one thick board in the middle sandwiched between two layers of relatively thick veneer.

Not a bad idea to make it modular.

There is very little that seems to influence the big FR's in terms of vibration, they hardly move at all even during quite loud passages.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but has anyone tried these in an omnidirectional setup?

Through a series of events I ended up with my eminence beta 12lta's in a horizontal/Omni setup and then placed a dome tweeter vertical over the pole piece. Think Siegfried Linkwitz Pluto speaker with a 12" full range and tweeter. It seems to work well with the rising frequency response. Nice big and open sound and pleasant highs. Adjust tweeter to taste.

Thought it was worth sharing.

Do say more kind sir!

I've got me ol' beta12LTs and was wondering what I could try with them.

Cab size / shape? Pic?

Cheers

GP:
I was just being stupid. On purpose actually. I am quite good at it.
Thought it was better to be very slightly more direct: go buy them, and after achieving a certain degree of smugness, keep feeling smug, and tell the other kids you are finished with the little toys.
Grownups are just bigger children with a little bit more money, so we are entitled to bigger toys. And permanent smugness.

Are you getting your smug on Jazzfan? :)
Did you get what you wanted?

Last edited:
GP:
I was just being stupid. On purpose actually. I am quite good at it.
Thought it was better to be very slightly more direct: go buy them, and after achieving a certain degree of smugness, keep feeling smug, and tell the other kids you are finished with the little toys.
Grownups are just bigger children with a little bit more money, so we are entitled to bigger toys. And permanent smugness.

Of course.
But anyway I think the Fane FRs/WBs have a lot of potential of being the last speaker one might buy.
With all it`s shortcomings it does so much so well.

Do say more kind sir!

I've got me ol' beta12LTs and was wondering what I could try with them.

Cab size / shape? Pic?

Cheers

I brought this up because so many people mentioned how good the Fane sounded off axis.

Disclaimer: This is a Garage system and it is in development. Alway. I guess that goes without saying.

It was by accident that I came up with this. I hooked this up so I would have something to listen to while I worked on another speaker box in the garage. It is a five sided box open on one side and this is the left box. It is stuffed with polyfil and has some on the side. ~1ft3. It is on top of a sealed 15" woofer per channel. The right speaker is mirror image. And tweeter has first order xo. 1uF cap.
The combination of horizontal driver and open box has a nice open yet full sound. And I can put it near the wall which is important for floor space.

My wife's comment "it sounds musical". A good endorsement.
Now I need to tweek the concept and make it look better which should not be hard.

Photo attached

It ain't pretty, yet. But it sounds good.

Attachments

• IMG_6114.jpg
    IMG_6114.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 456
Scott: do you have a picture of your setup? Pictures are good. :)
If you have a system you are content with, then all is well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

GP:
Hmmm. Shortcomings.
They are a bit harsh on brass without any kind of eq, and there is a bit "too much" treble, but that is the obvious rising response. Auto eq'ing sucks all the life out of it, but that happens to other speakers as well. With the eq dips on 4khz and 8khz I like them a whole lot more on classical recordings, much more versatile than without, but a small portion of the "snap" impact is reduced.

Todd:
Do you have any measurements of the drivers after modifications?

Last edited:
Kaffimann,
The modifications to the beta 12lta were done by Legis in one of the 12lta threads. He had measurements before and after. I tried some and trusted my ears.

But my question is has anyone tried the Fane in an Omni setup? It may work well with the rising response plus a tweeter to help.

My tweeter is 99db at 2.83v. It does fine for the top octave.

Last edited:
Scott: I've never had much issues with room modes in OB. Maybe something else is "off".
Tried placing them closer to back wall instead?
Sometimes bass in OB sounds better close to walls, depends on the room.
With qts 0.33 and fs 27hz I guess you use some EQ down low.

Todd: I do not know if anyone has tried the Fanes in omni setups, I could probably point them upwards and suspend a ball or a cone or something over the units. Do not find it lacking any treble, do you really think I need a tweet up top? Isn't proper omni about dispersion?

Yes, I think there may be some differences in terms of defining "omni".
I think a driver on it's back, pointing upwards can work reasonably well in the right room. But that does not make it omnidirectional. To make an "omni" speaker, I would think you'd need either many drivers pointing in all directions from the same center, or a single driver helped by a cone-like "waveguide" or whatyoucallit, to disperse sound in a "rings in water" pattern from the speaker. Feel free to correct me.
I think the reflections of the cone, or whatever shape the waveguide may be, should reflect all higher frequencies in a reasonably even pattern in all horizontal diredtions. Why do you need extra tweeters for tyat on the Fanes?