New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi

Yes ! alot ! Nonesense !

It's sound to be "more" or let's say "warmer" - but thats only the un-precise transient response.

Yes. Note the question-mark in my suggestion.

I did test this on my own speakers... and I agree with you. There is a perceived "darker", maybe more bass, change but it also effects the clarity and openness. So maybe not a good advice.

//

Yes I would prefer too.

Better to keep the driver without adding anything on it.

I think that's the idea to make full rage speaker.

But maybe this driver SOVEREIGN 12-250TC is for guitar use?

Or I should say for professional systems to play loud and does it have the same sensibility when playing in low volumes?
Which Full range driver would you recommend?

I have read this thread with interest. I am a fan of WAW/OB speakers, and since I recently retired have time on my hands to build some more speakers. I am thinking of something like the Martin King OB project (15" woofer in H Frame plus full/wide range driver on OB on top).

I already have the woofers sorted I got 2 of these PRV drivers on local eBay for $120 AUD :D

Now I am looking for a full range and I like the look of these Fane drivers. Sadly there is no local dealer and I will have to buy from a UK dealer. But that is OK given they seem to do a good job based on what I have read here.

15W700 - PRV Audio Brazil

One question - there was a lot of discussion back in 2015 about phase plugs but I don't think that anyone has actually cut out the dust cap as yet - if someone has actually done this please let me know as ideally, i would do this and put in a phase plug. If you have the 12-250TC and haven't cut off the dust cap - does it seem possible to do this without damaging the whizzers?

Regards, Hazard

I meant the "cutting off dust cap and adding phase plug" thing.
Have1 FC152/15-300TC + 2 Fane 15-400 per channel in a sort of waw setup. Pardon the crap picture, just got in the door after driving all day.

My personal assumption is that removing the dust cap may reduce support for the smallest whizzer, and adding a phase plug will reduce the cooling through the vent going through the magnet. Sound can also escape through that same vent, do not think "can resonance" is a huge problem with this driver.

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_193318.jpg
    IMG_20180520_193318.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 575
Most phase plugs are just solid extensions of the pole piece, so you can expect some response changes. They may be beneficial, or they may not -depends on the plug & driver design. For the Fane, I'd probably be a little cautious, at least until somebody experienced at working with drivers in this way (e.g. DaveP10) has had a crack at it. As has been suggested above, given the intended use I doubt there is a significant cavity resonance issue, although it's possible (as in 'possible') a solid plug may alter the response in a way that would be advantageus to some, in some circumstances.

I meant the "cutting off dust cap and adding phase plug" thing.
Have1 FC152/15-300TC + 2 Fane 15-400 per channel in a sort of waw setup. Pardon the crap picture, just got in the door after driving all day.

My personal assumption is that removing the dust cap may reduce support for the smallest whizzer, and adding a phase plug will reduce the cooling through the vent going through the magnet. Sound can also escape through that same vent, do not think "can resonance" is a huge problem with this driver.
Ahh gotcha, I misunderstood but all good now. Nice set up. Have you ever thought of putting the FR driver in the middle in a MTM arrangement? I like symmetry (its the engineer in me) (or maybe I'm OCD) (like most engineers) and I worry about lobing in a MMT array. But maybe this is not a problem with a low xo point.

Most phase plugs are just solid extensions of the pole piece, so you can expect some response changes. They may be beneficial, or they may not -depends on the plug & driver design. For the Fane, I'd probably be a little cautious, at least until somebody experienced at working with drivers in this way (e.g. DaveP10) has had a crack at it. As has been suggested above, given the intended use I doubt there is a significant cavity resonance issue, although it's possible (as in 'possible') a solid plug may alter the response in a way that would be advantageous to some, in some circumstances.
Thanks Scott. Let's hope that Dave chime in.

Ahh gotcha, I misunderstood but all good now. Nice set up. Have you ever thought of putting the FR driver in the middle in a MTM arrangement? I like symmetry (its the engineer in me) (or maybe I'm OCD) (like most engineers) and I worry about lobing in a MMT array. But maybe this is not a problem with a low xo point.

I've been trying it for lengths of time in various positions, there are some significant sonic differences to every way you stack the setup. Stacked with max height and the FR in the middle they almost reach the ceiling. It sounds relatively similar to the way the speakers are right now, but now it's like the sound is coming from the screen. Very difficult to locate the speakers with a blindfold.
Best "impact" so far is with all bass boxes standing next to each other like a long tall bench on the floor. Will probably set it back this way after I get around to finishing them up, have to work through some points off my list first before going back to audio related things, so probably sometime later this summer.

I have settled for a 209hz LR4 xo for now, but this will inevitably change many times. It is impossible to discern when the subs take over, the transition is very smooth.

Edit:
And response in listening position is within a few db's down to 14hz. More than expected, was aiming for ruler flat to 27hz.
This setup is overkill, If I had this knowledge before starting, I might have made a setup with the 12-250TC and 2x12" for bass per channel instad. But then again, overkill like this is quite entertaining.

Last edited:
Gug42.
It can work down to 35-40hz in a relatively small box. 130 liters simulation, see picture.
External dimensions: 40cm wide x 43,7cm deep x 96,6cm tall if using 18mm material.

Since the port will be at the floor, the boundary will most likely help increase bass a little bit.

Edit:
LM3886 should be a great match for this speaker, it will have a little bit of headroom and you get to exceed 105db's before reaching xmax.

Attachments

• 130 liter Fane 12-250TC.jpg
    130 liter Fane 12-250TC.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
I've worked up a large (in terms of what many would call 'large', rather than acoustically) bass reflex design for it; F6 = 38Hz as it's a fairly well-damped rolloff to make it reasonably flexible in terms of room positioning. Down side is, as noted, it's not small, though not ridiculous either. I haven't had chance to draw it up, or get Dave to do so yet though; if you want me to do so though, I'll try. That said, given the amount of abuse I'm getting in another quarter, I'm starting to wonder whether any of this is worth the effort.

Last edited:
I've worked up a large (in terms of what many would call 'large', rather than acoustically) bass reflex design for it; F6 = 38Hz as it's a fairly well-damped rolloff to make it reasonably flexible in terms of room positioning. Down side is, as noted, it's not small, though not ridiculous either. I haven't had chance to draw it up, or get Dave to do so yet though; if you want me to do so though, I'll try. That said, given the amount of abuse I'm getting in another quarter, I'm starting to wonder whether any of this is worth the effort.

I am sure that your effort would be appreciated by owners of this driver,
who haven't a clue what do do with them?

This driver likes large boxes, I understand that people want to have something that they can actually place in the room, but all these small boxes is just compromising.

Here's a small thing just for you, I thought of just now:
When life gets rough
And the going get's tough
Something else comes along
kicks you in the face
All of it goes wrong
Takes much space to get bass

Get back up again
Happiness is fleeting
Working hard for acclaim
Then the wife comes tweeting

Not a quality piece, but then again it's not something I've spent time on.

I would be very interested in seeing what you got going for the 12-250TC.

I would appreciate that.

Joined 2016
Paid Member

Very interested too. These full range drivers are very budget friendly and seem a good start for my first speaker build (novice in speaker), your effort is highly appreciated.