Nelson X3 arrival questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thank the diy gods

I was afraid this thread was over. It has turned into the most entertaining part of my week.

I'm still not entirely convinced that the jumpers are in correctly because I have a hard time believing that someone at pass didn't know how to correctly set up one of the multitudes of their products.

Yes jumpers in

And I never said the volume was really low, just that I noticed that I had to turn the volume up on my theta more than the Krell or the other amp that I had used in between,and so I wondered what if anything possibly in the design could contribute to that.

The Krell had much more wattage in 250 into 8 versus 150, so with that example, I don't know if that could be a factor, but I do know that the ADA 150 watt amp that I was using in between my primary amps is jacked up on output, and so I expect that one to be louder at similar volumes.

I just have to isolate this humm I have going, because it always drives me nutts, and I will probably be upgrading my Theta dac quicker than I had planned, because I love this amp so much on music I want to maximize it's benefits. I have eliminated the cables that were possibly still producing the sound from when I took out cable, but after talking to Kent at Pass today, he wasn't really surprised that other amps with the same other components didn't have such humm, and felt the most likely reason was increased gain on this amp over many, and that I needed an isolation transformer or two, and I was hoping for another path. The gain on this is 30db, which is pretty high compared to the krell 3250 which was 25.7. Kent represented that because of this extra gain put in to help overcome components that come in with a low line level. I have this with my CD player, but it does make for a nasty hunt when it happens never the less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.