Negative feedback and distortion

there are many proposals to apply an order weighting factor to traditional THD measurements which somehow haven't been adopted. Probably because a single THD number is so conveniently measured (and understood).

Besides Lynn Olson, show me someone else who really understands THD... ;)
No salesman does and I'm not sure any hi-fi journalists understand it either..

As for phase distortion being audible I'm not sure what you mean. No one will hear a time delay, but you will quickly hear it mixing in when you start adding feedback: one reason the 741 op-amp didn't do very well as an audio amp.

Do you know amps that display such awfull level of THD ?...

In most amps , high range harmonics are lower than
low order ones...

That said, we want neither of these THD , be it even order...

In most amps, high range odd order harmonics are far more audible than low order ones. High range odd harmonics may look smaller on the FFT but your ears hear them better - so they are just as loud.

THD is meaningless, I want to see the FFT, or at least a table going out the the 20th harmonic of a 1kHz test tone.

Chapter 24 looks interesting. Two questions:
1. what is SGD?
2. as many amps (both SS and valve) don't actually apply the feedback at the input point but somewhere nearby (such as the other side of a LTP), do you say anything about common-mode gain/distortion?

SGD stands for Spectral Growth Distortion, which is the term I use to describe the effect that Baxandall discussed. It denotes the additional higher-order harmonics (or IM products) that can result under certain conditions when negative feedback is placed around an amplifier stage or an amplifier (e.g., distortion resulting from the re-mixing phenomena).

I actually focus largely on amplifiers where the NFB is applied to the "other" side of the input LTP, as it is the most common approach. I do cover common mode distortion and ways to reduce it in some depth.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Fireworks !

Last comparative test was between a Technics SU-V8 (very good, no crossover distortion, but lots of feedback) and an Electrovoice EV1177 (germanium outputs, interstage transformers, low feedback). Seems an unfair match, 110x2 against 18x2, 0.00000... THD against 1% THD. Same souce (CD) and same speakers (Wharfedale).

Main difference is in the attacks (mostly with jazz and rock), I can understand words more with low feedback, get more 3Dimensional effect and... it's much more like being there !
Had the same comments by several friends, to whom I made the same test, just to make sure I was not biased ...
Ciao !

Orit

Thanks for the comment.
Did you notics "harshness" with the high feedback amp ?
What about the attacks: how where they better in the low feedback amp ?
What about the music itself, did you find it better sounding on the low feedback amp ?

Bear with me as I am quite curious about personal experiences with different amplifiers.
Anyone else who has done such comparative listening, please post your impressions here.

SGD stands for Spectral Growth Distortion, which is the term I use to describe the effect that Baxandall discussed. It denotes the additional higher-order harmonics (or IM products) that can result under certain conditions when negative feedback is placed around an amplifier stage or an amplifier (e.g., distortion resulting from the re-mixing phenomena).

I actually focus largely on amplifiers where the NFB is applied to the "other" side of the input LTP, as it is the most common approach. I do cover common mode distortion and ways to reduce it in some depth.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, since you have a lot of experience with amplifiers, would you tell us what you hear different with a high feedback amplifier ? In comparing the sound of different amplifiers, did it ever happen to you to like less an amp even though it measured better. I'm talking about amps with THD<0.1% such that their distortions are inaudible, at least on paper. I'm not talking about amps that introduce distortions beacuse they are considered "musical", like some tube amps.

Thanks for the comment.
Did you notics "harshness" with the high feedback amp ?
What about the attacks: how where they better in the low feedback amp ?
What about the music itself, did you find it better sounding on the low feedback amp ?

Bear with me as I am quite curious about personal experiences with different amplifiers.
Anyone else who has done such comparative listening, please post your impressions here.

I have compared several amps.

I do not think however that you can lump together 'high feedback' amps together as a group, the effects of feedback vary dramatically between amplifiers and it is impossible to generalise.

For instance my current tube amp has a triode/pentode section with a feedback of 37dB around it, and it sounds better than most amplifiers I have heard - some with less and some with more feedback. It just depends on too many factors.

The reason feedback (and SS/transistor amps) get a bad press is because many high feedback SS amps sound awful. This however is not because of either the SS or the feedback, rather of appalling design involving throwing lots of non-linear components in there and tying it all down with lots of negative feedback. Then you get a wonderful servo, but a soulless tiring harsh sound with a compressed polite 'hi-fi'ness to it all.

These days you can walk into most hi-fi stores and listen to any SS amplifier and it will sound the same. Tube amps survive and sound much better for the simple reason that tubes are more forgiving and so not punish a poor designer so hard.

A good rule of thumb is that feedback can move the distortion for you, so if you start with lots in the first place (at open loop) you'll end up with something sounding like cr*p no matter what you do with the feedback to make it measure better. And yes - the more delay or lower the slew rate the worse it will sound too ;)

You tell me that phase distortion increases with frequency, I say to you that it is a fixed time delay.
I didn't tell you that. If there is a dominant pole then phase distortion reduces with frequency. This is not equivalent to a fixed time delay. It is a variable time delay, with the delay being highest where it does least damage - at low frequencies. That was my point; it is not a time delay, it is an integrator. It does create problems, but not in the way that you keep saying.

I didn't tell you that. If there is a dominant pole then phase distortion reduces with frequency. This is not equivalent to a fixed time delay. It is a variable time delay, with the delay being highest where it does least damage - at low frequencies. That was my point; it is not a time delay, it is an integrator. It does create problems, but not in the way that you keep saying.

A variable time delay?

Phase margin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Nelson Pass article ... but he seems to get a bit confused in his comments relating to Fig 9. he doesn't mention that R4 in the source also provides negative feedback, so he is actually comparing an amplifier stage with one type of feedback to a stage with two types of feedback.

I am not confused, although I could have been clearer for the
benefit of the reader.

Like its inventor Harold Black and my favorite text Horowitz
and Hill, I regard negative feedback as "the process of
coupling the output back in such a way as to cancel some of
the input".

I don't see the two as the same, although some of the effects
are the same. Some aren't, for example degeneration does
not particularly alter the output impedance, nor does it suffer
the same sorts of bandwidth stability issues as loop feedback.

:cool:

spice jockey makes quick sim check:

degeneration in a ce transistor amp increases and linearizes input impedance, reduces and linearizes gm

the output Z is increased over some frequency range but there is competing internal Zcb feedback holding down output Z improvement

the gm(s) shows increased phase shift with degen

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's easy to get into a semantic argument over this. I think
clarity is achieved by referring to the two differently, such as
"Degeneration" or "Degenerative feedback" versus "Loop
feedback or "Negative feedback"

Of course if you want to get really picky about it, there's no
such thing as "no feedback", since real devices have a finite
Source/Emitter/Cathode resistance. Real devices also have a
finite Drain/Collector/Plate "resistance" which emulates loop
negative feedback.

Not to mention capacitances....

exactly - "no feedback" is a marketing invention

why should people understanding feedback theory application to circuit analysis give a rhetorical "pass" to the ones coining gobbledygook such as "no feedback amplifier" and allow them to continue to push it onto the uneducated buying public as a marketing tool?

As taught in accredited university engineering courses, as used by circuit designers in Blackman’s theorem, analyzing distortion products, ect. – degeneration is local negative feedback

Clearly the marketing war has been lost in the glossy mags but why put up with this market driven distinction with no engineering justification in this forum?

the real question in amplifier design is where to apply feedback, as local, nested, multiloop, global... for what result and at what cost in attaining circuit performance goals

Cherry summed up the options to linearize a circuit as

increasing bias vs operating range (using less of the nonlinear transfer curve)
distortion cancellation as in diff pair or Class A complementary outputs
or negative feedback (in all of its forms)

Like its inventor Harold Black and my favorite text Horowitz
and Hill, I regard negative feedback as "the process of
coupling the output back in such a way as to cancel some of
the input".

I don't see the two as the same, although some of the effects
are the same. Some aren't, for example degeneration does
not particularly alter the output impedance, nor does it suffer
the same sorts of bandwidth stability issues as loop feedback.

Degeneration raises output impedance I think (link).

I also thought degeneration was transparent until I read this, which showed that although the phase shift/delay was not an issue the multiplication of harmonics was.

Ref post above:
So zero-feedback in marketing terms means just zero global negative feedback. It is however a big and important difference because local feedback does not have the multi-stage delay and consequent phase margin issues (and associated audible defects) of a long loop. My own preference is for local feedback only - although with some tubes you do not even need that - they are linear and quiet enough on there own, the D3a even for phono amps. In fact my current tube amp has a no feedback (not even degenerative) input driving a very high feedback driver/output tube stage which then passes on to the output transformer with no feedback. The difference between this design and the old global negative feedback loop design that was used on that amp is that now the people and instruments sound like they are in my room - not just some hi-fi sound in the speaker.

For SS I would suggest the correct way to engineer the amp is to choose some very linear very high gain devices and treat them like gold (i.e. sparingly) and run them at high voltage so you end up with a design that requires no global feedback. I also think the latest high voltage mosfets allow one to do this because tubes have another trick - for instance when you run a 1V signal through a tube sitting on 300V or so - so the transfer curve is only used in a tiny portion which again aids linearity.

the real question in amplifier design is where to apply feedback, as local, nested, multiloop, global... for what result and at what cost in attaining circuit performance goals

While I largely agree with this there is scope for no feedback (of any kind - except the parasitic emitter/cathodic resistances in the device) designs too - like the late 1930's western electric designs for instance. To mimic them completely however you will have to travel back in time 70 years to wind back the hi-fi clock ;)

While I largely agree with this there is scope for no feedback (of any kind - except the parasitic emitter/cathodic resistances in the device) designs too - like the late 1930's western electric designs for instance. To mimic them completely however you will have to travel back in time 70 years to wind back the hi-fi clock ;)

We can conclude that checking a Ford T will help
improving a Mercedes SL...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

And remember that at the time neg feedback wasn't known - Harry Black needed many years (7, IIRC) to get his nfb patent accepted by the patent office because they didn't believe it worked!
So the WE no-feedback wasn't a concious decision not to use fb, it's just that they didn't have any choice. Who knows how good it would have been if they had had a choice ;) !

jd

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So zero-feedback in marketing terms means just zero global negative feedback.

I don't think it even means that insofar as many amplifiers
with zero global negative feedback have internal loops over
one or more stages.

I think the marketing term for zero-feedback allows for
degeneration only. Zero global negative feedback means
that there is no loop over the entire amplifier.

I also thought degeneration was transparent until I read this, which showed that although the phase shift/delay was not an issue the multiplication of harmonics was.

I read the paper you linked to: it's quite interesting but what I was most interested in is the idea that negative feedback creates a kind of "noise floor" that might sound bad to listeners.

Any more studies on that idea ? I'd especially like to know if someone tested this assertion experimentally, i.e. that this kind of effect is indeed audible and unpleasant to the listeners.