Need Transport Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tralala,
Amazing!
You know what? There is still no clue as to what the actual problem is, and yet you have diagnosed a weak laser assembly.

Why is it that people without the knowledge, experience or equipment continue to attempt a service when they know nothing about it? This never ceases to amaze me.

Simply "popping in" a new assembly may give you an operating CD player - or not. One thing is for certain is that if there are any adjustments, the unit will definitely not be working up to snuff. You may be further ahead to buy a cheap DVD player at Costco if you are going to do this. I'm not kidding!

A couple questions you need to ask yourself now. Is this an expensive machine that you bought for sound quality? Does it look really nice? Can you afford to replace it with the same quality machine? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then trying a DIY repair is not reasonable. I don't even know how it makes any sense either.

There is an important fact you need to know. Poor alignment will always affect the sound quality in a negative way. So, unless you are a trained technician on these, and have the required equipment and knowledge, you have no business working on the unit at all.

I'm not trying to be mean or dismissive. Look at the facts and assess your abilities and resources honestly. Good technicians who really know what they are doing, and do proper, neat jobs are worth a lot of money. So is the stuff on their test bench. To be honest with you, I am tired of getting hacked stuff in for service. It's a waste of everyone's time, and the owner of the equipment is always the loser. Sometimes, they bring it upon themselves by attempting a repair, or my favorite, having a neighbor "fix" it. Engineers tend to be the worst here, they don't know when to stop and are generally very sure of their beliefs no matter how incorrect they may be. Speaking in general terms of course.

Find a good technician local to you if possible. Do not take it into a stereo store that offers repair service. They either do not service well, or they farm it out to a hack working in a dark place somewhere. They will at least double the charge from that service person / company. Do not expect to get your money's worth in that situation. Find a good technician, they are valuable more than you know.

DIY really is about doing something that you have a real chance of properly completing. Many can put together an amp kit, some can not. Many can order a PCB and parts from here and there and still succeed. More can not. Then there are the people who can do everything, lay out the board, create it and put it together. Finally, we have those who can design from scratch and complete really nice things. Building a CD player is a bit easier than troubleshooting and doing a good service job. There are reasonable limits to what a person can do. Part of that is knowledge and another part is having the resources required to do a job.

Lastly, for goodness sakes, do not start adjusting controls!!! It worked at one time set up that way. As soon as you start twisting controls, all is lost unless you do know that good technician. For the unit to stop working, something changed. I doubt someone opened it up and messed with the controls. No, something has failed to work properly.

For what it's worth, Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.