need simple preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Particularly with the EI's, you need to be careful about pick-up because of their wide field. You will only get pick-up in parts of the circuit that are sensitive to this. This means inputs, and particularly inputs to your pre-amp. Also, pick-up is much more likely from high voltage cabling, i.e. mains.

Your best bet therefore is to keep the high voltage mains AC away from the signal circuitry. This means putting the transformers in a separate box. The low voltage AC that you take into your amp box (complete with anything this might have picked up) will be rectified and smoothed, hopefully lessening the effect of any uninvited guests.

So, if you have all your transformers together, there is more risk that your low voltage AC lines could pick up radiated interference from the EI, but this shouldn't matter, because:
1) Any pick-up will be rectified and smoothed
2) The low voltage AC is feeding your DC rails, and is not being amplified (unlike signal inputs)
3) Your 3886's have very good power supply rejection ratio.

12V for the soft-start can go anywhere because it isn't involved in the audio path (unless you are going to use this for your pre-amp: if you do, use the same transformer, have a local bridge and smoothing for the soft-start, then a bridge and smoothing [and regulation] remotely in your pre-amp to supply this).

Fans??? Please tell me these are temperature activated and for emergency overheating only. These can be just as bad, if not worse, than EI's for pick-up. My 10 3886's are on 2.5degC/W heatsinks (one each) and haven't got warm yet.

On the op-amp front, I be surprised if you noticed much difference between any of the better devices mentioned above - most of these are alot better than the multitude of lousy opamps that most recorded music passes through in the recording studio.

Jamie

AudioFreak

Obviously the bigger the heatsink the better. But the method of mounting can make a large difference too. I don't use washers on my system, and just have the thinnest scraping of heatsink compound, and assume that my heatsink is at the negative rail.

I guess if you are using these devices full range, this is important.

Jamie

The original power suply I was going to build called or two 4700uF caps. Now it doesn't really matter the value, does it? Because I've only got 8200uF and 3300uF caps lying around, but bigger it better, right? So I should opt for two 8200uF caps, am I right?

Well, I finished off the pre-amp board as well as the power suply for the pre-amp. Now all I need is a case, which I'll be putting together tomorrow or the day after... My question is, is there any way of testing the pre-amp without the power-amp? Could I pass the output of my pre-amp to the input of an integrated reciever (total crap) and see if there is any output (test volume etc, should make me happy enough, just want to test if everything was done right)?

JoeBob said:
Could I pass the output of my pre-amp to the input of an integrated reciever... ?
Yes.

By the way, I have combined my power amp power supply and preamp power supply into the same box. Is that what you were originally asking? It works fine. I keep the power supply outputs electrically isolated from one another for more flexibility (i.e. no common ground between their outputs).
The preamp and power amp are in two other boxes.

Well, I plugged in my pre-amp power suply, just to check everything was done right, before I tried playing music through it, and well, it's almost right... I'm using a plug-pack 16V AC 20VA transformer, and a full-wave voltage doubling circuit using the 7915 and 7815 voltage regulators. But the positive rail is +15V while the negative rail is -17V. I'm using the OPA2134 (or OPA2604, have both will see which is better, heard good things about both) in my preamp, will this be a problem? TI's speck sheat for the OPA2134 says up to +/- 18V, so I don't have too much voltage, but they're not the same, I'm really hoping this isn't a problem, but...

Hi,
Slightly unbalanced voltages shouldn't matter too much; the negative peaks will clip earlier but you shouldn't be running anywhere near clipping. The op-amp doesn't care that it's not quite referenced to the midpoint of the two supplies.
I'm curious why the -ve supply is -17V. Suggest you check everything over carefully. Also try some kind of load (a few LEDs and dropping resistors?) to make sure it's really regulating.

I know it's strange, I've checked and rechecked, I'll try a load. One strange thing is as soon as I unplug the transformer, the - rail drops down to -15V (or would it be considered raises, hmm... oh well). So I'm rather confused, but if you don't think it'll be a problem, I guess that makes me feel a little better.

So at idle, it's at -17, then when you unplug it, it temporarily drops to -15, then it eventually drops to zero?
This sounds suspicious. Yes, try it with a load or preferably a series of different loads to measure the regulation.
I'm signing out, must be getting late there for you!

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, I have 11500 uF on each rail so with no load it drops off after a little bit, but stays at 15V for a while, while it drops down to 15V pretty quickly. I'll try different loads now to see. As for time, getting near midnight...

I tested a couple different loads and they all pretty much give around the same value, -17V or slightly less (again, should it be considered more?). So I'm at a loss, the circuitry looks perfect, I checked and rechecked a whole bunch of times, so I guess I'll just plug her in and see...

Two common reasons for voltage regulators giving a higher than expected voltage are firstly that the device is out of spec (try another device) or secondly that the device is unstable and is oscillating. For the latter, ensure that you have a minimum current draw in excess of 5mA at all times and that input and output bypass capacitors are are connected close to the regulator terminals. The 7915 usually needs at least a 2.2uF tant (25uF electrolytic) on the input terminal if the regulator is more than 3" (75mm) from the main reservoir caps and a 1uF tant (25uF electrolytic) on the output terminal (National Semiconductor datasheet figures).

I've got 100uF electrolytics on the outputs of both chips. As for the bypass capacitors, they're as close as can be, the pins were touching before I soldered... I'll try a different chip and see what happens, and I'll also check if the current draw is in excess of 5ma...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.