need Manifold 2 x 18 cabinet plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Plans....

For fellow Diy'ers here u go....

Attachments

• my manifold 2x18_box.jpg
    my manifold 2x18_box.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 737
I live in Canada and have decided 2 attempt (lol) to build some manifold style bins for my brothers production company, they will primarily running drum n bass / jungle through these so I will need to get the most bang for my buck. I have been having a hard time finding decent plywood locally so I beleive I will be using 3/4" MDF. Weight isnt too much of a problem, although portability rules out the 4x18" units I would love to build. Most of the events they will be utilized at are outdoor parties so I would imagine I will need to use them in multiples.
Thats kinda the background.... now for the real questions.....

1) does anyone know where to find good drivers in Canada ( slightly north of Toronto area ) ? or should I just order from Parts express and brace myself for the shipping costs ?

2) unfortunately my build budget is fairly small for the time being, does anyone have recomended drivers that wont break the bank and could almost be considered 'disposable' ?

3) how hard would it be to modify the plans to be usefull with the drivers I ultimately choose?

4) with the small budget in mind I could even handle the thought of using 15's or even 12's, but to me that translates into a requirement for even more multiples of boxes.... should i stick with 18's (or 21's if I can find them at a good enough price) ?

These things will need to be able to handle huge amounts of almost continuous heavy bass so they will need to handle being essentially run for 12hrs at a time nearing their mechanical and power handling limits (our djs dont seem to be happy unless the bass essentially feels like the ground will open up under you from the earthquake like vibrations )

Any information / suggestions welcome.....

I have primarilly in the past built systems ranging from small studio monitors all the way to competition car audio ( I like to build my boxes from scratch ) so I like to think I have the woodworking skills required for a job this LARGE

"If you need high SPL and heavy duty use, should you be considering a Labhorn or two/three?"

I've looked into the Labhorns and although they look great and would likely be very nice to have, the plans are seemingly alittle to complex and pricey for what I need in the forseeable future. I wouldnt mind building a set of them for our studio, but I would be almost afraid of watching them burn up from abuse of dj's who cant seem to understand that the gains should not stay in the red for the entire duration of their set, lol... And I really wouldnt have the time to monitor the levels constantly throughout a 12hr party, let alone the 72hr one we have comming up in may.

infamousJ said:
I've looked into the Labhorns and although they look great and would likely be very nice to have, the plans are seemingly alittle to complex and pricey for what I need in the forseeable future.
Look at the huge tapped horn thread for several ideas re horn designs that will go deeper and are a lot easier to build, and even design noew, thanks to god's gift to hornies, David mMBean.

I think the LABhorns would be the best bang for the buck.They were designed to do exactly what you want them to do.With their higher efficiency,they will play louder with less power.In the sub shootouts,the LABs and the Bassmaxx left the 2x18 cabinets in the dust...

They are a bit of a PITA to build,though.

A while back,I built a modified version using the same parameters,but only 33" high to allow a larger screen size for my HT.48"long,and 15 1/2" wide.It takes two of these cabinets to equal one LABhorn.One driver in each cab. Each cab weighs 140 lbs(plywood),so they are easier to move.Easier to build,too.

Here is a pic of them next to a LABhorn.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=107745&highlight=time+alignment&r=&session=

And the plans.

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/903/scan00055ao.jpg

Hey there.

I have some questions.

1. Will af driver like Beyma 18G40 do any good in this cabinet???

2. When I hear that it is a 6th order bandpass cabinet, I picture a driver inside a box with ports in front and rear of the driver.
But here, I can't see the port at the rear cabinet(at the magnets of the driver.
Can anyone help me???

I am going to build a set of these cabinets some day. God damn they had a nice sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.