Need help with Analogmetric TDA1541 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh sorry, what in your opinion is the best dem clock frequency to run at?

could I build the Grundig circuit and connect it to the BCK so the DEM clock would run at 2.8MHz?

I'd personally stick to 352 -705 KHz - (the spec sheet says 250KHz max forr what its worth)

That's what I'll be trying with the circuit on post 29 using the HC02 but I will also try other frequencies.
I think the important point is that the dem clock is locked to bck by the dem circuit and going way too high can produce distortion especially if the decoupling capcitors are increased.
You will have to try some experiments and let your ears be the judge.

Hi

I guess this all applies to me too.
I was about to do the Grundig method of DEM using ws to pins 16 and 17 via resistor ,caps and diode.

I have a spare 2.8 feed on my clock I can use directly instead of using ws @ 2.8
I also have 11.2 and 5.6 on my clock too.

ecdesigns advocates 2.8 as OK for DEM it's just implementing it properly that
is slowing me down - I only want to do it once and get it right first time.
Are you saying then that Grundig method might not perform correctly ?

Any suggestions go right ahead

Andrew

Hi

I guess this all applies to me too.
I was about to do the Grundig method of DEM using ws to pins 16 and 17 via resistor ,caps and diode.

I have a spare 2.8 feed on my clock I can use directly instead of using ws @ 2.8
I also have 11.2 and 5.6 on my clock too.

ecdesigns advocates 2.8 as OK for DEM it's just implementing it properly that
is slowing me down - I only want to do it once and get it right first time.
Are you saying then that Grundig method might not perform correctly ?

Any suggestions go right ahead

Andrew

The Grundig circuit needs no ICs so is simpler to implement and so worth trying.
Whether using a lower frequency derived from dividing bck is audibly better is down to either trying it, or taking someone else's word for it (as with any mods)

BM

Benproiii

Just applied the Grundig - it works well - just as the drawing that I posted that no one endorsed or commented on.
No matter - just do it straight off WS - very nice step.

Glad I did

Andrew

Andrew, the way you drew the schematic is wrong as you are not connecting the zenner to -15V, so if you built it the way you drew it, you are not properly saturating the oscillator circuit. See attached ammendment to your drawing.

Attachments

• PICT0039.JPG
    PICT0039.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 322
  • dem-from ws.gif
    dem-from ws.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
I have just bought a Nos/Os dual tda1541a (parallel) kit from rainbow_hui on ebay.
It uses a WM8805 & 26c32 front end, + SAA7220 which can be bypassed with a couple of jumpers and has onboard psus. (discrete)

I was going to build my own from scratch but with this kit I can make my own mods and use different components. eg Wima MKS4 220n, & 470n for the DAC decoupling.

I will omit the I/V and output stage and reconfigure it for differential and connect to my Sowter I/V transformers possibly by an LC Tee filter.

If you are going to change parts on this Hui Raindrop DAC be very careful as he uses poor lead free solder and his via's pull out very easily .

Benproiii

Just applied the Grundig - it works well - just as the drawing that I posted that no one endorsed or commented on.
No matter - just do it straight off WS - very nice step.

Glad I did

Andrew

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go when my kit-that's-not-a-kit* arrives from China next week.

*Its from Ebay seller raindrop_hui. The dual 1541a 'kit' is supplied ready assembled which is annoying as I was intendng to change the decoupling caps etc.
DAC Kit WM8805 + TDA1541A 2.0C parallel output OS/NOS )

Erin Hi

Thanks for the heads up on my other attempt - which astonishingly worked very well:confused:

New pics attached and your drawing for anyone wanting to have a go.
Sounds very nice - too early really - just fired her up half an hour ago.
No gremlins though or odd sounds - just clean music:D

Much appreciated

Andrew

Attachments

• PICT0066.JPG
    PICT0066.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 307
  • PICT0065.JPG
    PICT0065.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 296
  • PICT0039 PLUS.JPG
    PICT0039 PLUS.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 291
Erin Hi

Thanks for the heads up on my other attempt - which astonishingly worked very well:confused:

New pics attached and your drawing for anyone wanting to have a go.
Sounds very nice - too early really - just fired her up half an hour ago.
No gremlins though or odd sounds - just clean music:D

Much appreciated

Andrew

Hi Andrew, yes you designed your own circuit - and it worked. Kudos to you :)

I think I came across a bit blunt in my other post so sorry about that. Was just trying to help. Glad its all sorted out now. Thanks for testing the Grundig circuit for everyone and letting us know about it.

Erin Hi

No need for an apology - and no offence taken;).
If I drop a bollock I want someone who sees it to tell me straight away !!
It prevents that burning smell that I'm all too familiar with :D

It's a worthwhile tweak - I just wish I'd ' got it ' sooner so I didn't have to ask so many stupid questions in the first place.

Thanks for your valuable help

Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.