• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need help to determine 3 12AX7 tubes for my vincent amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Haha awesome, you are going all in now with the solder iron. Just take care when you start experimenting with electrical components like capacitors. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I've had a semester with base theory of electronics and circuits thus I know a little about AC circuits and phase shift. Capacitors are one of the components which impacts the phase shift between voltage and current, so you could in theory change the phase shift for the whole circuit by changing the capacitors. I can't tell if it will give better or worse results though, but it will have a impact on all the other components on the circuit, if the new capacitors is faster/slower or has another capacitance.

I've tried a new setup: tung sol - 12ax7lps - tung sol. This is the setup I keep for now, it has the benefit from the previous setup I had with: tung sol - jj 5751 - tung sol but it sounds more bright and with more texture in the highs. So overall the sound has become more dry, a little bit bright with many fine details in the top and midrange. I haven't had a chance to test the bass at loud volumes.

Right now I'm considering to try with 2 DIY class-D monoblocks from hypex (ucd700hg or nc400) where I use the preamp from the vincent amplifier. That should give some control in the bass and hopefully still the nice tube sound from the vincent amplifier. It looks quite easy to assemble with the hypex switching power supplies. And it is cheap when taking the power and quality into account.

I'm now contemplating on embarking to moding the capacitors. I'm hoping to gain clarity, midrange punch and better sound definition like they did in my SET amp. I'm looking into replacing some of the WIMA caps into exotics like <a href="http://www.soniccraft.com/index.php/mundorf-silveroil-c-301_45_46" target="_blank">Mundorf supremes or silver/oils.

That's snake oil!

Unless they are - obsolete by a very long time - paper capacitors like Tropydur or Durolit, WIMA capacitors surely belong to the best you can buy woldwide. No need to waste your money on Mundorf or something like that.

Best regards!

I had the chance to borrow a monster for my speakers, a combined Class AB / H amplifier (2x1200 watt @ 4 ohm with a Capacitor bank on almost 200.000 mf for each channel). This is the amplifier I'm testing: Ground Sound.

I've tested it with my DAC as a pre-amp (Arcam irdac2) and I finally got the control that i wanted, I can really hear now the my vincent amplifier is distorting at high volumes. I do also notice that details gets lost in the smooth and soft tube sound, my speakers are already quite soft, so the new amplifier setup suits them better. My speakers gets the power they deserve :eek:).

It seems to be the end of tubes for me for now, but it was been fun to play with different tubes and exchange experiences with you ferdz :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.