Need Help on Denon DCD-S10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Quan,
Only you can tell, so try one. The DCD-S10 doesn't do anything bad stock, and it's repairable without too much trouble, unlike any Philips transport. I like the ability to tune the servos in the Sony systems.

The earlier NEC transports used in the Nak OMS-7 and Alpine units where the best transports I had ever seen. The Sony KSS-151(?) used in the Denon DCD-XX60 (eg 3560) and some Tascam (CD-401) types where fast and good (linear tracking motor).

Just look at the RF pattern. The most stable one with the clearest pattern is the best of the bunch. It is that simple.

-Chris

Hi Noak,

I have a Denon DCD-S10 and interested to know how you're pogressing with the upgrade of the S10?

I know you wanted to keep your upgrade simple but coming thus far, have thought about adding kit upgrades eg: LCaudio and others?

If anyone is kind enough to e-mail me the service manual for the Denon DCD-S10, would be much appreciated.

Thanks and cheers
Pasadena.

anatech said:
Hi Pasadena,
Those two transports are identical. Heck, why not fix up the 3000 while you are at it? You would then have a pair of excellent machines.

The laser pickup is the standard KSS-240A.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been thinking for a while about getting rid of the S10 due to the fact that it has this tendancy to be very particular about what disc it plays.

There are a couple of discs where it will not play ball with and sometimes it takes a while to scan the disc for TOC. It also presents itself to, at times, to taking its time to play the to scan and play the last few tracks on a CD but I have been adjusting the pots to improve laser pickup and reduce read errors, with some success.

My S10 was made in 1996 but I don't know if the lens is on its way out. The sound, to me is excellent but I may try some tips from this thread and get my cousin to use his oscilloscope to align the laser. Hence my thought about acquiring a DCD-3000 for parts.

I'm more than happy with the S10. I used to have a 3000 and then replaced it with the S10 and it sounds warm and sweet sounding. Very underrated as already mentioned.

I do believe with careful modding and upgrading, the S10 can be made to match top class CD players out today, at a fraction of the cost.

Modding the S10 has always been in the back of my mind and have contemplated on buying the LClock XO 3 module from LC Audio but am a bit wary as to its outcome and that it may degrade or significantly change the uniqueness of the way the S10 sounds.

I'm not the best solderer and not an electronics expert so I would be the type to go for the module upgrade. Both my cousin's are electronincs experts so I can always get them to do my mods/upgrades.

Cheers
Pasadena.

anatech said:
Hi Pasadena,
Those two transports are identical. Heck, why not fix up the 3000 while you are at it? You would then have a pair of excellent machines.

The laser pickup is the standard KSS-240A.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I found a KSS-240A laser on e-bay located in Australia. He goes on to say it's a Sony KSS-240A and suits either a Sony, Kenwood and AIWA model CD players.

I assume that this would also suit the Denon regardless as long as the part number suits?

I'm not sure whether or not to buy the laser off this guy or take my S10 in for a service to have the Laser, drive motor and belt changed.

I know from another thread "Newbie needs help with Denon DCD-3000", Gretsch6136 sent his 3000 into repair to a service agent in Adelaide with success. I'm wondering whether or not I should send my player to this guy as he's a reliable source or to take a chance and find an agent here in Perth. I realise the sizeable costs of shipping the S10 to Adelaide and back maybe unfeasable and better off pursuing a Service Agent here in Perth.

Anyone in Perth know of a good, honest service agent for Denon gear? I may ring around and get some quotes on the parts and having them replaced.

Thanks and cheers
Pasadena.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
I can't stress how important a good service guy is. They range from terrible to excellent. I can tell you that the tech Gretsch6136 found did a proper job and charged in the right ballpark. A really good tech also enjoys his work, and his pride of his work will ensure a good job. I was very happy that another good technician was found.

So how important is the tech? It matters whether your machine plays, or plays great, lasts or breaks down all the time. A good tech will reject an iffy head, a bad tech will install it and it's now your problem. There is no way you can tell a tech how to do his job either.

Ask around. You want a great CD tech, and he will generally not be found in a TV repair shop, or a sales outlet. Not in Canada anyway. Often this same tech will be very good with most things audio.

BTW, the head type is correct, and there is more to do than just replace parts.

-Chris

Hi Pasadena,

It's Mark (Gretsch6136) here. Boy its a small world isn't it?

Regarding the S-10...... when I read that you thought you might sell it, I thought "I would like to buy it". So if you do wish to sell, please let me know what you want for it.

If on the other hand you want to keep it and get it fixed then I would recommend you go and see Clifford DeSouza at Audio Synergy in East Perth. He is a cantankerous asian man who runs a high end audio shop. He also builds some amazing valve amps and speakers too. If he is not in a position to fix it himself he will put you onto someone reliable I am sure.

Tell him Mark (who looks like Elvis and moved back home to Adelaide) sent you!!!

Otherwise if you want to use the guy in Adelaide, I can work as an intermediary for you.

My email is markandanniatbigponddotcom

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes I did get your email. Sorry that I have not yet responded. I just got a couple of major bills in the mail, so that's put the kibosh on buying that particular player at this time.

What are the differences between the s-10 Mark 1, 2 , and 3??

By the way, have you ever seen an S1 transport and DAC in the flesh? If so, was it as awesome as it seems in photo's?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

That's Ok. I just thought that you might have jumped at the opportunity but I can understand when money is tight.

I have the S10....pretty damn good if IMHO. I have heard the S10MKII at Frank Prowse Hi-Fi in Mosman Park and it was interesting to note that he preferred the S10 to the MKII as he said the top and mids weren't as sweet and detailed.

I have never heard the S10MKIII which has the AL24 processing and supposedly another step up again overall.

As for the S1, I heard that coupled with Denon's S10 monoblocks output to Mirage's OM3 speakers and it was pretty unbelieveable but then who's got the money to get one, even now.

I reckon if you can score an MKIII over the S1, I reckon you can't go wrong. I was told a few weeks ago that there's on three s10MKIII's in Australia with happy customers. Darn it but you never know when the chance may pop up.

Another option, which may not have been mentioned and talked about the circles is to source Denon's out of production DVD-5000 DVD/CD player. Video wise it's supposed to be good but is supposed to be excellent CD wise asthis player has the AL24 processing, another advantage.

The debate is whether or not the S10's outperform the 5000 and just reading last night that people say the S10 still sounds better than the 5000 and even the Denon's current 1500AE SACD player. Must say something about the 'S' series!!! :)

Food for thought!

Cheers
Mark.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
Yes, the S-10 is and excellent performer that was bested only by the next one up (S-2?). The S-1 was produced for those who just had to have separates. The S series was designed with upgraded components throughout. The Asian models were supposed to be spruced up just a little more. The manual seems to confirm this.

I haven't heard a CD player that I like better yet. That doesn't mean this is the best, it only means I haven't heard one better.

-Chris

Im thinking of buying one of these and I expect it will go for around US$400-450.
Given its around 10 years old I would expect that it needs a good service and imagine I should factor in the cost for a new motor and laser profesionally installed. Any idea what this will cost and is it worth paying this much for one?

cheers arthur

Hi Luke,

A DCD-S10 recently sold here on e-bay in Australia for about AUD$450 plus shipping. I was going to bid on it and the owner offered me the CD player for AUD$400 inc shipping before reposting the second time. I declined the offer but on second thoughts I was thinking maybe I should have bought it.

There's someone else here on this thread that said the laser and motor could be replaced for AUD$150 all up, including the servicing.

I guess this could serve as a guide as to what you may expect to pay. Make sure you look out on e-bay for the laser pickups - KSS-240A. You may find a good buy somewhere along the way.

The prices of the S10 have dropped dramatically over the past year. I sold mine for AUD$1100 about 6 months ago and as you can see they're now going for the AUD$400-500 mark. They are a great buy and if you're lucky enough they may not yet need any servicing.....depends on how well the previous owner kept it in.

I've been hunting around for the Mark III version of the S10, very hard to find and still probably somewhat expensive but it sported the AL24 processing and good step up from the stock S10.

Anyways, good luck.

Cheers
Pasadena.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.