Need Help on Denon DCD-S10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have replaced the I/V stage with OPA2227, the adder stage with AD826 and output stage with AD827. Reason being that's the dual opamps I've at hand now. Improvements in the bass definition, slam can be heard but the upper-mids got really harsh and a bit unbearable.

is this machine by any chance the same as a DCD-1650AR with selected/better parts? I don't know for sure ... I think the DCD-1650AR is still available from Denon if that helps.

I always thought the DCD-1650AR was a nice machine. I wanted one but could never find one at a price I was willing to pay. Does the S10 have remote controlled volume?

mlloyd1

edit:
oops, i see you guys already got the manual you needed.
good luck and please comment on your progress and findings!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mlloyd1,
I have a DCD-S10. :D It's the best sounding one I have. Standard KSS-240A transport and Sony chip set. The DAC uses a pair of PCM1702 per channel. :cool: It does have a fixed and variable output as well as XLR, digital out and digital in. I bought it as a bench signal source. Now it's in my living room.

One day I'll have a peek at the audio section. I think the DCD-3000 was the closest model (in black).

-Chris

I don't know from your post whether you love the champagne s10 or the black 3000.

When I bought my S-10 I thought the Champagne finish looked old fashioned. I would have bought the 3000 if it weren't out of stock.

(The truth is, I thought the S-10 looked really "Harry" but I doubt that the meaning of this phrase can be translated from norwegian to english)

But as the S-10 grew on me, I learned to appreciate the looks of the player as well. It's not in my main setup anymore, but I still get a good feeling just looking at it. And it serves me well in the living room.

True quality always seems to please my eye.

The perception of aestetichs works in funny ways.:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi BerntR,
I immediately liked the champagne colour. I'll take it over black any day. It will look good with my Marantz SC-9 if I can fix it.

There is something missing from black coloured gear. It doesn't rouse my interest at all. Shiny champagne does. The blue display looks great.

A Luxman M-02 / C-02 is another nice looking combo, I'll go for the new Marantz stuff as well. But, to each their own.

-Chris

Re: Any progress ?

Cucalambe said:
Any progress modifying the output stage.?

hi Cucalambe,

I've done the following but I still think that the sound is not as good as my modded Pioneer PD-S802.

List of Mods:
Change opamps to 627 biased in class A via CRD.
Change Silmic to Cerafine/BGs
Change Film Caps to Wima MKPs
Change Power Supply Caps

I may perform the following to see if it gets any better:
Discrete I/V and Buffer Stage
Fully Separated Power Supplies

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Noak,
Get a hold of a Nak OMS-7II manual or OMS-4. They use discrete I/V and output stages. In these OMS units, there is a sharp filter due to their age. The basics are applicable to what you are doing. A good starting point.

Gmail may accept that file actually. Try sending it to docfin and myself at the same time. My email is bhomester at gmail dot com. As another alternative, you could post it at www.sharefx.com/ . You would have to register (free) first. They have all kinds of stuff flowing across there.

-Chris

Noak said:

hi docfin,

The file is 28MB in size so I can't possibly send it to your email account.

Hi Noak ,
I received this manual, thanks to Jorge F. Moreno.
It's 6.5 Mb only and seems to be completed. Why your file is much more bigger?

Note the GMail account accept very large files (gigs), but not an archives or executables. Pdf, text, pictures, movies, etc.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Noak,
Stick it on ShareFx. Gmail accounts will take it too.

Your file is large because it was done at high resolution. Best to leave it that way. This is very important for teh board layout and schematic sections. The rest could have the resolution reduced with no ill effects (unless you go too far!).

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Quan,
It has a Sony / KSS-240A transport with a heavy shield. The player itself is heavy as well. So it's a good transport.

I haven't found an external D/A that sounds better yet either. The internal one is about to get an op amp and cap upgrade to the Asian model. I doubt there will be a big difference. I may even use the DRV134 for the balanced out instead of the uPC4560 that is there.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.