Need advice : Two way with RAAL 140-15D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what i don`t really get is your positioning of the Drivers (raal with the twi neo s) on your open baffle..

A traditional MTM layout would have been even worse in terms of driver integration at Xover AND would have made the speaker taller than I was willing to accept.

I did play around with several prototype layouts and this one won. I also tried an odd approach of laying the Raal and the mids all horizontal, but stacked as an MTM. Some things about that were better, but not enough to go that route for the final design.

I was sold on using two Neo10 per side to help handle the low end EQ needs of OB and that much worked out spectacularly. I also follow the Legacy Audio/Bill Dudleston school of thought that more surface area in the mids is good.

Greg

Last edited:
I would go with a small midrange such as a ScanSpeak 10F, 12MU, or even Eton Symphony 3-400_a8. Then a pair of 6.5" or single 8" or 10" for the bottom end.

Now I have those speakers, based on Edgars and Tony EVE II (ss2904/18W8545/21W8555) and for me thay are big and that's why I would like to do some nice 2way.

I still need to veneer them and I need some more power/control amp for 21W8555

They do realy sound nice...but the amp that I have now (some old pioneer receiver) don't have control for 21W8555

So that's whay I dont look for another 3way ;)

josipkatalinic-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Now I have those speakers, based on Edgars and Tony EVE II (ss2904/18W8545/21W8555) and for me thay are big and that's why I would like to do some nice 2way.

I still need to veneer them and I need some more power/control amp for 21W8555

They do realy sound nice...but the amp that I have now (some old pioneer receiver) don't have control for 21W8555

So that's whay I dont look for another 3way ;)
So why not dump the Pioneer?

Yoke, music preference? Any idea of your average listening level? Neighbors? If you tend towards audiophile, light chick singer and jazz trio or chamber music, then I'd go towards Scott's suggestion. If you like "bigger" music and a wide dynamic range, I'd go towards a larger woofer.

Greg

Yoke, music preference? Any idea of your average listening level? Neighbors? If you tend towards audiophile, light chick singer and jazz trio or chamber music, then I'd go towards Scott's suggestion. If you like "bigger" music and a wide dynamic range, I'd go towards a larger woofer.

Greg

HaHa...well this is difficult one as I like different stiles of music
my favorite artist are aphex twin and squarepusher :D go figure where that belongs :D
but I like what I like, and it can't be place in one group...as I like songs, from pearl jam, radiohead,bjork,portishead,sia,jill scot,old like lykke ly (as little bit/untill we bleed)...adore songs like Keith Jarrett-Tokyo Encore, Coltrane-my favorite things or Clark-black stone...Bessey-Never/never/never...
I can go on&on (just remember - erikah badu) for hours about the song and artist that I like and listen...

So no, my taste in music can't be placed into jazz, or classic, or dance music...

I liked the sound of sonus faber stradivari, i like the sound of focal scala utopia or ATC SCM100...(those are high end loudspeakers that I heard and like)...as you see they all are different in character...sonus have that warm, with ATC I head a feeling that am on live concert, focal was, don't know, precise and fast...(maybe I would end up with focal...)

So I guess I need something neutral...but with great mid range and heights...bass should be well defined, but doesn't have to be too deep

And I don't go loud with music...whell sometimes, i do :D...

Last edited:
So I guess I need something neutral...but with great mid range and heights...bass should be well defined, but doesn't have to be too deep

And I don't go loud with music...whell sometimes, i do :D...

Stick with the speakers you have. :p (..and they look quite nice! :) )

Honestly though, your currently speakers are pretty "small". A smaller cabinet would likely end-up requiring almost as much floor-space (..when factoring-in a stand and your requirements with bass).

One of the ways "around" this is equalization, and enough excursion from the midbass driver. Cranks-up non-linear distortion though.. And really, if you are going "active" - it is a possibility (particularly with something like the minidsp). If you want to go this "route", and have the amplification to do it, then this driver should do what you are looking for as long as you utilize a lower-freq. crossover for the RAAL:

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=538

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/EX-Anarchy-FR.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/EX-Anarchy-HD.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/EX-Anarchy-CSD.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/EX-Anarchy-TS.gif

Scott, I do not believe the Anarchy drivers, or any driver for that matter from Exodus are available. I could be wrong, but I thought they closed down last year as an active business. I remember all of the posts on the AVS forum saying goodbye to Kevin when he made the announcement. Are you certain he's back in operation?

I did have a pair through here several years ago and they do kick, but I was less than impressed with their sound quality used anywhere over about 800-1000Hz. They'd make a killer woofer for a compact three way though or paired with a really low reaching dome tweeter.

Greg

Yoke it sounds like you need something like this for your purposes. Large, very capable 2-way, with amplification, so it takes care of that issue too. And since it's a pro monitor, there are some EQ contour controls to adjust the tonality to your liking. Seems like a great deal for what you get. Pick the Stealth series 6" or the 8".

Emotiva Pro — Products

Maybe you could sell of the Raals. They'd pretty much pay for the Stealth 6!

Greg

Scott, I do not believe the Anarchy drivers, or any driver for that matter from Exodus are available. I could be wrong, but I thought they closed down last year as an active business. I remember all of the posts on the AVS forum saying goodbye to Kevin when he made the announcement. Are you certain he's back in operation?

I did have a pair through here several years ago and they do kick, but I was less than impressed with their sound quality used anywhere over about 800-1000Hz. They'd make a killer woofer for a compact three way though or paired with a really low reaching dome tweeter.

Greg

Here is a recent thread on this subject (..note that while the purchaser/thread-starter couldn't contact them, they did get their Anarchy's):

DIYCable

Yeah, as far as absolute sound-quality is concerned, I think it's a mistake all-round. :eek:

Still, the linear decay is pretty good on these drivers - they should still sound good.. just not really excellent. Of course that pretty much goes for most larger drivers as well - the higher you run them, the worse they sound (in that upper bandwidth when compared to a good smaller driver). :eek:

Last edited:
The SB17NRXC35-4 cost about $60 US. It has very low inductance and the 4 ohm load is similar to your RAAL. 92db @2.83V sensitivity. I have used several SB NRX series midranges and found them to be excellent. I also like the SB29RDNC dome tweeter, and I believe there are Xovers for these two speakers.

The AES Lambda TD6M was discussed earlier because the T/S parameters look like a great marriage to the RAAL ribbon. If you lived in the USA it would be worth the effort to go to the aespeakers.com forum and ask John if new SPL measurements are available. You could ask about a 4ohm version, but I believe the SPL/watt remains the same.
TD6M-8 T/S Parameters
Fs: 83hz
Qms: 3.1
Vas: 10.3L
Cms: .45mm/N
Mms: 8.2 g
Rms: 1.38kg/s
Xmax: 3.3mm
xmech: 7mm
Sd: 127 sqcm
Qes: .46
Re: 6.1ohm
Le: .044mH
Z: 8ohm
Bl: 7.5 Tm
Pe: 100W
Qts: .4
qW SPL: 93.5dB
2.83V: 94.5dB

Attachments

• SB17NRXC35_4.JPG
    SB17NRXC35_4.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 424
I do think this RAAL 140-15D tweeter is crying out for a D'Appolito arrangement.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Like this Gryphon Mojo which uses a pair of SEAS CA15RLY 5" woofers along with a Mundorf ribbon.

It's easy to cross over at 3kHz, and the tweeter dispersion matches the D'Appolito design and you've got a good chance of getting the time alignment spot on. You could of course, spend anything you like on the woofers. Scanspeak or SEAS Excel?

WAY out of my price league really. :eek:

Yoke it sounds like you need something like this for your purposes. Large, very capable 2-way, with amplification, so it takes care of that issue too. And since it's a pro monitor, there are some EQ contour controls to adjust the tonality to your liking. Seems like a great deal for what you get. Pick the Stealth series 6" or the 8".

Emotiva Pro — Products

Maybe you could sell of the Raals. They'd pretty much pay for the Stealth 6!

Greg

No :D those looks like party monitors, if I would making rave inside my living room, maybe I would buy them...but...for now...i'm stick with RAAL's

The SB17NRXC35-4 cost about $60 US. It has very low inductance and the 4 ohm load is similar to your RAAL. 92db @2.83V sensitivity.

The AES Lambda TD6M

For me, newbie, fr of SB17N looks like satori 16P...o.k. satori is 90.5db
but if satori is ''beter'' driver I will go that way

AES Lambda TD6, would have to order from USA, and shipping would be costly...i think like 100$

I do think this RAAL 140-15D tweeter is crying out for a D'Appolito arrangement.

It's easy to cross over at 3kHz, and the tweeter dispersion matches the D'Appolito design and you've got a good chance of getting the time alignment spot on. You could of course, spend anything you like on the woofers. Scanspeak or SEAS Excel?

WAY out of my price league really. :eek:

The thing is that with MTM configuration I will get really ''tall'' speakers...70-80cm in high...I have to think about WAF :D
edit: aaaggggrrrggghhhh...now I start to like that look of gryphon...will read more about that...

I think I could pass with something like this in my living room, but...thay would have to be slimer then those...or I will and up with something that I already have...pffff...

MS-overview%5B1%5D.jpg

maybe I should listen to ScottG and stick with what I got :D...but, where is fun in that :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.