Need advice : Two way with RAAL 140-15D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, for advices...
so, SB Satori would be nice choice, and I think I will go that way...
will write email to Bendor as Scott sugested and see that option also...

Thanks once again, I will get back for some more advices once I buy drivers as am like newbie even as I have build one pair of loudspeakers (but newer fineshed them).

Because you are going active.. there is another potential solution.

I'm not sure if it will be better than the Bandor driver for your application either.. but it does sound pretty special (..having both high transparency and tone):

http://www.expolinear.de/images/stories/expolinear grlich tt 130 g.pdf

They are only showing the "T" & "S" version here:

hifisound eShop*-*Goerlich

The "T" version is midrange-only. But the "S" version is largely comparable to the "G" (..in fact without looking real hard I'd be hard-pressed to say there is a difference):

Here you can hear one of these drivers ("G" or "S") on the Ensemble Primadonna:

Ensemble Primadonna 4 - YouTube

..not bad, eh? ;)

Because of the smaller diameter it will be a better match for a higher crossover freq. for the RAAL. You will need to take care of that "peak" between 1-2 kHz though..

Unfortunately, not exactly in-expensive. :eek:

Because you are going active.. there is another potential solution.

I'm not sure if it will be better than the Bandor driver for your application either.. but it does sound pretty special (..having both high transparency and tone):

Goerlich

Because of the smaller diameter it will be a better match for a higher crossover freq. for the RAAL. You will need to take care of that "peak" between 1-2 kHz though..

Unfortunately, not exactly in-expensive. :eek:

yes those Goerlich a little expensive...and they are out of budget...plus, as I'm newbie, I think it will be a too much for me to get rid of that peak around 1-2K...

The simpier the better ;)

Do you have any subs? If not, how about a three way?

I don't have plans for sub, not for music...have one, low qualiti yamaha for HT, maybe would build one more but only for HT...
dimensions of room are 3,5mx6m...listening position would be like 2.5-3m from loudspeakers
loudspeakers would be on 3.5m side...
So I think that there's no nead for sub

@scottg

seriously? you want to recommend Driver via a bloody YouTube Video Sound sample.
hell! you are brave.

and the next Thing. a 13cm Driver for the raal 140?

Minimum would be two 13cm Driver as a d`appolito

in my expirience a big 6 1/2" Driver or a 8" Driver works super nice. the 8" Driver even a bit better Dispersion wise.

best

t

in my expirience a big 6 1/2" Driver or a 8" Driver works super nice. the 8" Driver even a bit better Dispersion wise.

best

t

Dynamically a larger driver would be a better match, but dispersion? MAYBE vertical, but certainly NOT horizontal. It's a trade off and I would personally go larger and more dynamic as well, but it certainly does not "match" dispersion.

Greg

i guess 8" do fit. :)
raal 140-15dam with w22 seas excel 0°-50° horizontally.
measurement is windowed, so 500/600hz and up.

Attachments

• Dispersion.jpg
    Dispersion.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 522
@scottg

seriously? you want to recommend Driver via a bloody YouTube Video Sound sample.
hell! you are brave.

and the next Thing. a 13cm Driver for the raal 140?

Minimum would be two 13cm Driver as a d`appolito

best

t

Yup.. Having heard earlier ensemble designs using this (or a very similar) driver. Also looking over the spec.s. ;)

A 6.5" driver usually starts having more significant pressure loss off-axis around 1.7 kHz, an 8" is closer to 1.4".. There are however some exceptions to this (based on cone profile). A 5" driver is usually closer to 2 kHz.

In contrast the RAAL is pretty much "omni" horizontally, getting the crossover right is just easier with a smaller diameter driver.

An MTM also has some problems - midrange combing, and the RAAL's 7" or so of spacing wouldn't be doing that design any favors.

Still, a 5" driver with modest xmax isn't going to produce low bass at higher volumes. What that particular driver can do is produce reasonably low bass from a smaller enclosure, just not loudly.

If you have a larger driver and crossover combo with the RAAL that works really well - :cool: Please share! :) EDIT: Thanks!

Last edited:
i build some speaker with raal 140 with for example hm170MN0 (6 1/2) in a 3-way. nice, but not perfect horizontally dispersion.

with 7" focal audiom midrange,

8" peerless, accuton and paper or magnesium Excels.

chose the 8" magnesium in a 16/17 litre sealed enclosure, with a 680uF cap in front. goes down to 44/45Hz -3db

sorry, can`t share the crossover.

but it`s a symmetric 24db LR acoustic filter, but electrical it`s a 18db highpass and a 12db lowpass with notch for the resonance.

Yes, but "near" what freq.? To be less specific - is the filter below 2 kHz?

Also, have you done any higher power distortion testing with that RAAL + filter? (..Say a db range 1meter of: 85db, 90db, 95db, 100db.)

yes, it`s below 2k.

of course i did distortion measurements. :) but they are fine.
remember, you get a bit of a SPL drop above the xover frequency, so lower THD and the deflector pads reduce THD, too.

so why are some People getting their period when it`s used under 3khz?
i don`t get it.

yes, it`s below 2k.

of course i did distortion measurements. :) but they are fine.
remember, you get a bit of a SPL drop above the xover frequency, so lower THD and the deflector pads reduce THD, too.

so why are some People getting their period when it`s used under 3khz?
i don`t get it.

I can only speak for myself, but it just didn't sound right. It sounded strained playing at high levels. For me the lesser of two evils was to cross higher than proper dispersion would allow. Also, instruments like a close mic'd snare drum just didn't have the same crack to them through the Raal as they did through the Neo10. The decision was unanimous from other engineers at the studio who helped me tweak them.

EDIT:

I have to add that I may be particularly sensitive to tweeters low range. I find that I prefer a crossover point about an octave above what the manufacture specs as the lowest possible choice. This goes for the Beyma TPL-150 as well as numerous standard domes and even compression drivers. The OEM Raal has surprised me though. There is something else going on with it, because I am crossing it at 2.5KHz and find the sound quality just fine. It has a third less radiating area than the 140-15, so I was shocked to like it that low.

I'm not following how the pads give lower distortion....can you help me there?

Greg

Last edited:
i would like to, but i cannot find the measurements on my hd.
but what i can say the distortion are lower with the pads on than off.

well, the snare, if it`s so with your Speaker, it is so for you.

what i don`t really get is your positioning of the Drivers (raal with the twi neo s) on your open baffle..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.