Necessary tools for diy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bob:
Thanks; you have answered both of my concerns:
Throat depth and quality.
I have a thought on solving the depth problem which requires a drastic modification to the drill press; however, since you are only risking about $50 for the cost of the drill press it may be worth it for the benefit gained. Here goes.

Cut the vertical column in half (+or-) and reinstall it in the base.
Cut a hole aprox. 4" in the center of the base.
Discard the table.

Now you have a drill press without the throat distance restriction. To use simply place it directly on the material to be drilled. To line up you rotate the bit down to the spot that needs drilling and center it on your mark.

You give up the angle drilling feature when the table is removed but you gain the portability of a hand held drill with the vertical boring accuracy of a drill press. It is a little heavy.

What do you think?

Ray

I get a sore back thinking about that idea.

you may be able to get a spare column so you can have it both ways.

Realistically, there have only been a couple of instances in the two years I have owned the press that the throat depth was a problem. Maybe I have just started designing around it without realizing it. Do you really have to have the binding posts there, or would it work just as well nearer the edge?

BobEllis said:
I get a sore back thinking about that idea.

you may be able to get a spare column so you can have it both ways.

Realistically, there have only been a couple of instances in the two years I have owned the press that the throat depth was a problem. Maybe I have just started designing around it without realizing it. Do you really have to have the binding posts there, or would it work just as well nearer the edge?

Just about anywhere in the US you can purchase a good, used Delta drill press -- the stand up variety. I have a table-top Delta press which can be adjusted for various speeds.

Speaking of Chinese machines -- I have the Grizzly mini-mill -- it is great for drilling the through-holes in PCB's with carbide bits, milling parts. One of these days I will CNC it so that I can cut designs on panels. The device is pretty small, however, and uses MT3 collets.

Thanks for the input Jackinni; However my problem is one of space.

Attachments

• my worpshop.jpg
    my worpshop.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 387
I apologize for the double reply; I am just beginning to get the "hang" of participating.
As you can see my golf cart garage doubles as my workshop so space is at a premium. This dictates the use of benchtop power tools. Any suggestions for a store-and -retrieve shop system will be welcomed and appreciated.
I am leaving in a few minutes for Augusta.....it's Masters Weekend! I will rejoin the discussion Sunday evening or Monday.
Have a good weekend!

I'm a retired RIO - F-14 back seater. It was a lot of fun while it lasted, but I'm sure it contributed to my needing two cervical disc fusions. I can't find enough time to fly enough to stay proficient these days so I don't.

The resemblance I saw was to my Dad 10-15 years ago - not saying you look like the father of a 48 year old.

I too am a pilot but strictly civilian. Mostly sport flying and building. With no time to remain proficent, I have also given it up.

The comment about your dad and I was funny. Most who play golf dress as I appear complete with the golfer's feet.

I purchased a new circular saw yesterday.....a Milwaukee 6390 which replaces my $39 Skil. The skill had been in service for 6 years but it had no adjustments and the blade was not parallel to the base. It cut with a slight bevel as well as plowed a little. It will be relegated to carpentry work and rough projects. I will need to make all new sawboards this weekend as well as new crosscut jigs. This is the penalty for having my shop religated to the corner of the golf cart garage with no room for a table saw. It could be worse.

Aren't new tools great?

Because I was careless, I apparently gave someone the right to permanently borrow a good chunk of mine that I am now replacing. It hurts inside but some of the tools were getting a bit long in the tooth so having the new ones:

The new circular saw cuts oh so smooth and straight.

The jigsaw just rips through the wood.

The belt sander is great.

The cordless holds a charge forever.

The hammer drill has plenty of hammer.

The angle grinder is sparky.

The reciprocating saw tears through things.

and the scroll saw is a useless POS.

Not sure how I ended up with a scroll saw. Note to self: Don't go to the tool store after beers.

Cal,
Outstanding stable of new tools!

UPS delivered my new circular saw about 10 minures ago. Since my wife is at the beach with her daughter and granddaughter for a few days, I will conduct a sawdust baptism tonight.
Yesterday I received the DeWalt 421 sander but the sanding discs did not arrived. Maybe later today?
Currently I am researching jig saws; so far the Bosch 1590EVSK appears to be the winner.

I bought a pair of banquet table legs at Lowes last night for the cutting table and plan to finish it tonight or this weekend. The cutting table is a great companion to the circular saw and makes handling full and half sheets of plywood a breeze.

Regarding the scroll saw.....I agree. I was offered one by a friend who purchased it without a specific need and never used it. It is still in the box and probably will remain there. After trying to set it up as a mini band saw I determined it was for making items to sell at arts and crafts festivals. :smash:

cotdt said:
what is the purpose of a jigsaw for?

A jigsaw is a vertical blade motorized saw for cutting holes or other than straight cuts.

Here is a picture I linked to at Google images.

http://ryan.skow.org/church/construction/jigsaw.jpg

Tenson said:
Where can I get one of those guides for cutting off corners at sloped angles..

Those are a couple straps of wood that you can nail to the cabinet and then fill the holes later. Or at least that's how I do it.

Ray,

It makes doing the work fun again.

Ray, if you are looking for a jig saw look at

Thats the best one there is.
Ray Collins said:
Cal,
Outstanding stable of new tools!

UPS delivered my new circular saw about 10 minures ago. Since my wife is at the beach with her daughter and granddaughter for a few days, I will conduct a sawdust baptism tonight.
Yesterday I received the DeWalt 421 sander but the sanding discs did not arrived. Maybe later today?
Currently I am researching jig saws; so far the Bosch 1590EVSK appears to be the winner.

I bought a pair of banquet table legs at Lowes last night for the cutting table and plan to finish it tonight or this weekend. The cutting table is a great companion to the circular saw and makes handling full and half sheets of plywood a breeze.

Regarding the scroll saw.....I agree. I was offered one by a friend who purchased it without a specific need and never used it. It is still in the box and probably will remain there. After trying to set it up as a mini band saw I determined it was for making items to sell at arts and crafts festivals. :smash:

Festool Jig saw

Thanks for the tip eapavant; I am going to Woodcrafters after golf Saturday for a hands on evaluation of the Festool jig saw. It was highly regarded by several of the reviewers and appears to be an excellent unit.

I have gotten comfortable using my new router (DeWalt 621) but the plunge mechanism has gotten stiff. I think the problem is that the plunge columns need to be lubricated. I cleaned them (as recommended in the owners manual) which helped but they are still notchey. Does anyone have a suggestion for a suitable lubricant? Silicon, oil,WD-40, graphite ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.