Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator)

BMR arrays

Hiya mirekti,

Yes the BMR is patented, although it has less than 4 years left out of the original 20 year patent.....Reckon there might be more commercial versions in a few years!

Re BMR arrays, in my experience the biggest difference between full height floor to ceiling arrays and half or quarter height arrays is that each time you double the Sd (cone area) you half the cone movement and therefore half the distortion.

All the secondary line array benefits such as reducing (half height) or eliminating (full height) floor & ceiling reflections or smoothing vertical dispersion patterns are much less important.

Also, I can highly recommend designing broad & shallow cabinets to facilitate on wall or in wall fixing (owiw).
Owiw is an absolute no-brainer for domestic line arrays, in fact I would say its equally important compared to the multiple driver advantages.

Once our website is completed I will be covering all this in much greater detail.
Regardless of which BMR you use I think you will find the attached interesting.

Hope this helps and all the best
Derek.

Attachments

• BMR design guide April 2015.pdf
    81.2 KB · Views: 319
Time frame....

Hi Mirekti,

The DSP is the hardest part to get right, its really dragging on.....We have spent nearly 18 months working with Manchester University on the DSP and its still not finished.....
Still it could be worse, Hypex have passed the 5 years point and still not finished their DSP DCLP product!

We have the speakers, amps, DAC's & A to D ready to launch so its incredibly frustrating that the last key component is holding everything up....

To get things going for a Sept 2016 launch we are now in discussions with a third party to OEM an existing solution. Its a tried and tested design which is very well respected has superb performance.

Hope this helps and all the best
Derek.

Dedicated BMR thread

Hi Snickers,

This is a dedicated BMR thread and there is a lot of good stuff on it over the last few years.

Lots of folks have contributed and I think most of the Pro's and Con's of BMR Vs conventional cones have been well covered.

We ( CustomInstallAudio ) have ended up diverging away from pure BMR design and developed a hybrid driver called Rapid Energy Decay ( RED ) which is what we will be using in all our DIY kits as well as finished commercial designs.

Its been a long road but a fun journey and the destination looks like a fab place to stay for a while...!!

All the best
Derek.

Just finished very interesting project: the customer asked to make new speakers based on Cambridge Audio Aero 3. I gladly accepted because long wanted to try a 4.5 inch BMR. And this is the result:

Attachments

• IMG_5104_cr.jpg
    IMG_5104_cr.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_5107_cr.jpg
    IMG_5107_cr.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_5102_cr.jpg
    IMG_5102_cr.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 623
Looks good Alvipet. What driver did you use?
It is original CA Aero3 4.5 inches drivers

I've heard the mbl speaker and have to say if you managed to equal or better it then you have produced a pretty remarkable speaker. I'd love to know more of your design if you care to share. Of course if it's a proprietary product design I completely respect that.
You can read more about my design here http://www.tornadoacoustics.ru/publ/2-1-0-22 http://www.tornadoacoustics.ru/forum/11-914-17

Last edited: