Nao Note II RS: CNC cut baffles in UK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another shot showing the rear tweeter mount with tweeter, note this was my prototype piece which as the tweeter hot glued in place and is not one of the finished pieces.

naobaffle4.jpg

Just gauging interest, I have had a few PM asking if I can supply a flat pack kit of all the pannels required, CNC cut i.e main baffle, side pannels, woofer cabinet and braces.

Not including the main baffles, a pair of speakers can be made out of one sheet of 8' x 4' which will mean different materials can be requested, i.e Birch Ply, MDF, Acrylic, Hi-Macs and any hardwoods provided they can be supplied in large enough sheets.

I don't have a price at the moment but I am waiting on quotes from my local CNC workshop.

If anyone is interested please PM me.

JK,

I built an similar design(not a copy) to your design of NaO Note II i.e. Dipole tweeter, Midrange, Midwoofer and Twin woofers mounted in U-frame, Your NaO Note II uses V-frame for the 2 woofers, will this configuration improves the bass response or just sound different?, etc
Can you explain please? BTW thanks for extensive info on your website so that I can design my own system.

JK,

I built an similar design(not a copy) to your design of NaO Note II i.e. Dipole tweeter, Midrange, Midwoofer and Twin woofers mounted in U-frame, Your NaO Note II uses V-frame for the 2 woofers, will this configuration improves the bass response or just sound different?, etc
Can you explain please? BTW thanks for extensive info on your website so that I can design my own system.

The original configuration of the Note II RS and this optional cabinet configuration are both dipole woofers. The change in configuration doesn't affect the sound. It's just a little easier to build the cabinet with the V baffle for the woofer, and there isn't part of the woofer enclosure sticking out the back. More cosmetic than anything else. The U-frame, as used in the NaO II and the original Note, is a little more efficient and also has the ability to pressurize the room a little at lower frequency. Thus the U gives a little more punch. But the U requires correct damping and it's more difficult to get right. That was a major reason to go to the dipole woofer system in the Note II. Does the dipole woofer sound different than the U? Yes. Is it a big deal? No. Does the room and positioning of the speaker make a bigger differences? Yes.

Remember, the idea behind the Note II RS was high performance, simple construction and low cost.

Very smart, was thinking of going over all edges on mine with a 9mm roundover bit but haven't plucked up the courage yet.

I did make a pair by hand but made mini side panels so they could be paired with large 15" dipole bass cabinets, then I changed my mind and decided on building them as designed and had the baffles CNC cut.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I finished mine :cool:
I made baffles by myself ;) All adges on side panels are rounded with 6,3mm rounding tool. I just wired them up and they will play.

First i made a standart frame for nao note II rs, bud now i want to try this optional cabinet design in Johhn plans, to se how they play.

The original configuration of the Note II RS and this optional cabinet configuration are both dipole woofers. The change in configuration doesn't affect the sound. It's just a little easier to build the cabinet with the V baffle for the woofer, and there isn't part of the woofer enclosure sticking out the back. More cosmetic than anything else. The U-frame, as used in the NaO II and the original Note, is a little more efficient and also has the ability to pressurize the room a little at lower frequency. Thus the U gives a little more punch. But the U requires correct damping and it's more difficult to get right. That was a major reason to go to the dipole woofer system in the Note II. Does the dipole woofer sound different than the U? Yes. Is it a big deal? No. Does the room and positioning of the speaker make a bigger differences? Yes.

Remember, the idea behind the Note II RS was high performance, simple construction and low cost.

One last question.

In terms of room placement which configuration is less susceptible to furniture around the speakers. I think the U frame there should be No furniture near the frame, I am right in saying that, as for V frame can I place a piece a furniture on one side(left or right), would this affect the sound in a dramatic way.

One last question.

In terms of room placement which configuration is less susceptible to furniture around the speakers. I think the U frame there should be No furniture near the frame, I am right in saying that, as for V frame can I place a piece a furniture on one side(left or right), would this affect the sound in a dramatic way.

Depends on the size of the furniture. A chair or small table really should not make much difference for either. But overall the dipole is going to be more sensitive to placement. Both systems need some "air" behind the speaker but the dipole will be more affected as you move the speaker closer to the wall behind them. Moving the dipole a foot or two forward or back can make a big difference in bass response compared to the same movement for the U. At least that is my experience with the different woofer systems.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.