"nanoTower" - Tang Band W3-881SI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I might have to give Linux another try. I used Red Hat Fedora Core AGES ago and was just not computer savvy enough to get it up and going right.

If you kill the LED definitely document it! I'm sure its not that tough but I always like more pics :)

Scott

Ubuntu is great. It "just works". Just make sure to avoid the "Unity" desktop environment. The best way to do this is to install a slightly older version, such as 10.04 and then you have the option of selecting "Ubuntu Classic" at the bottom of the login screen before you log in. "Ubuntu Classic" gives you the standard Gnome desktop, which is loved by millions. "Unity" is despised by millions. :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The hack we used on the over-bright blue LED on the KingRex was a small piece of black electrical tape.

dave

:D

One of the best tools in the box is electical tape!

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes the simplest hack is the one I overlook.

Just out of curiousity, would there be some negative impact if I was to simply snip one of the LED leads (other than the fact that reversing the process is much more involved than peeling off a piece of tape)?

Ubuntu is great. It "just works". Just make sure to avoid the "Unity" desktop environment. The best way to do this is to install a slightly older version, such as 10.04 and then you have the option of selecting "Ubuntu Classic" at the bottom of the login screen before you log in. "Ubuntu Classic" gives you the standard Gnome desktop, which is loved by millions. "Unity" is despised by millions. :)

Oh ok good tip! Maybe I'll try a dual boot, see if I can figure that out. Its been a while since I've tried but I'm sure there's good tech out there.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I'm looking for a good amp for this same driver except that i will have 4 or 6 of them per speaker. Do you think this amp would be adequate given the high efficiency of using multiple speakers or were you already nearing the max output of that amp with your 2 drivers?

I'm not sure. I guess that all depends on what your SPL goals are. I can turn this amp to about 2 o'clock, with the bass knob at roughly 2 o'clock. Much beyond that and I'd be pushing the driver excursion farther than I am comfortable with. On top of that, these little amps will tend to start to clip well before they reach their rated output (which is 20 w/chan. into 4 ohms or 12 w/chan. into 8 ohms). Distortion increases dramatically at high/max output as well. It is really probably better to think of them as a 4 or 5 watt (into 8 ohms) amplifier. In the video, I am probably pushing less than a watt through the drivers, perhaps a bit more, and that is much louder that I plan to run the system on a regular basis. For TV/movies and easy listening music, I might have the volume knob between 9 and 10 o'clock.

With the efficiency advantage of running multiple drivers, and a scenario were you don't need ear-bleeding SPL, it might be enough amplification for a main system. There are just too many factors and I am too inexperienced to say much more on it...

Last edited:
In my experience they are a bit lacking for spl for far listening or high levels. If you like it quiet then one per speaker will be ok but if its gonna be used for parties or anything then use two per speaker. I'm going to get a few more and do that. At this point I've used like 14 of them

Oh yeah these will be used for bedroom or office use so SPL isn't much of a consideration on these ones. I appreciate the info though!

Scott

If your budget can support it I would suggest doing it anyway just to keep the drivers excursion in the linear range, added bonus of increased sensitivity too.

But either way it will sound good

Yeah I'm really leaning towards two and doing this "cap trick" that Danny discusses over at AC: Best Sounding Single Drivers

Now time to model and find a suitable tower to do it all with :D

Oh so its like a low order crossover to reduce hf comb filtering? Looks like a good idea. Most of the needed support is on the low end...

I advocate the needle, I'm going to do one soon with a second driver angled back on top for spl

Exactly. I will have to look at the Needle, I don't know if it was ever modeled for this driver or if something would need to change or not :confused:

Just got my drivers and built some VERY crude OB "housings" for them to get them broken in. I've got them wired in parallel for a 4ohm load and my Onkyo isn't having any issues with it. There's obviously no bass and they've only been breaking in for about 20 minutes but they're already imaging pretty well. I'm planning on building simple BR towers like what the OP built except I'm going to have one driver facing upwards and one forward and use them as surrounds in my all FR HT. If they don't work well I can easily build another enclosure for them. Think it'll be a fun project. When I start construction of the cabinets themselves I'll start my own thread so as not to high jack this one.

Scott

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    896.5 KB · Views: 714
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    692 KB · Views: 666
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.