Name that song from a line or two of lyrics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isn't it funny how music triggers memories

I had a DIY record shelving unit in the house in Florida where I lived for 37 years. All my vinyl was visible, and in semi-chronological and alphabetical order. We had to leave on rather short notice, so all the records went into boxes, which have been moved a few times, but never opened.

When this thread seemed to head in an early "prog" direction, I cracked open the two boxes from the 1968 to 1972 era of my life. A lot of those early records were stolen in two different events, and others trashed by room mates. I had forgotten a lot of the details, but it took me just a few minutes to find a few records that I had used to make a few mix tapes (OK, 8 tracks) in 1971 and 1972. Playing those records brought back memories of the old Pontiac that had the Craig Pioneer quadraphonic 8 track deck, and all the events that took place in and around that car.

Now if I could only find "Shootout at the Fantasy Factory" that collection would be complete.....I think that one got stolen.

nania, those lyrics don't ring a bell at all.

I think it's time to crack open another box of records.....just to see what I will find.

Tubelab_com
I would have thought you would have hit mine 'out of the park' (yet another hint). What other British band of that era in the prog rock genre had a female front with a funny "J" name? You know it's not Fairport Convention. Really, this should be easy. It was even made into a disco smash club hit 10 years later with the original singer.

turk182
meh. People are people.

Really, this should be easy.

Maybe, but I still had no clue, so I asked the one that knows all. There is a reason that I had no clue, I have never heard of that band before. After watching the video on YouTube, I have never heard that song, or any of their music.

Like I said before, in the 70's the only path to find new music was the radio, or hanging out at a record store, but by the mid 70's the small "hippy" record shops were all gone, eaten by the big chains. There was a lot of music that never got played in conservative (at the time) Miami Florida.

In the early 80's I got MTV via a DIY satellite dish. Cable TV wasn't available yet. MTV brought me a few bands that I had never heard of.

South Florida has always been a unique radio and music market in general. The last remaining rock music station went off the air about 10 years ago. Dance music, 4 or 5 different radio stations. Pop, maybe a couple, Spanish, Creole, several. Prog, what's that. Even when the internet blossomed, how do you find what you never heard before if you don't know what to look for.

Yes, that's what these threads are for......finding new stuff, or remembering old stuff. Oddly enough I had never heard of Porcupine Tree, or Steven Wilson until he popped up as a suggestion on YouTube a few years ago. Now I have several CD's....How would I have known?

Another old one.

I have heard this, but can't remember much except a song about a gun on a bright red record.

Sometime in the early 80's there was a rocking song on MTV called Cum On Feel the Noise by Quiet Riot. We were blasting it out of the stereo in my van at a beach gathering when one of our coworkers explained that Quiet Riot did not write the song, it was a cover of a 70's song by a British metal band. Later at his apartment he would play us the original and several other songs from the band that originally did Cum On... I can not remember the band or the song names. I think there was also another song that was covered by QR.

The lady front woman of "Babe Ruth" was Janita Haan. Here is the link for the original and here is the link for the disco remake that was responsible for the floor support repair at the Funhouse dance hall in NYC. Ahhh, those were the days :)

Here's another one with high creep factor lyrics from the next 'wave' in music:

It's no use, he sees her, he starts to shake and cough,
Just like the old man in that book by Nabakov

Last edited:
turk 182
With all the music PHD level submissions, I thought I'd lighten the load :) By the way, I got yours too. "Runaway" by Slade. You know the Scottish band "Big Country" studied that song big time. I wouldn't have bought that record used from any of its members.

Kay Pirinha
Yep, Morricone, one of my favorites. Have you ever heard that German artist who plays the Ennio piece on the theramin? It's remarkable and really good too. Check it out. Kind of like the disco version above :tongue:

Seriously, by a show of hands, who thinks the disco version of "The Mexican" sucked? I can tell you that weekend after weekend, it brought rooms full of hormonally charged young adults and teens into a frenzy. I still feel like getting up and dancing to it and that's saying something. To quote Chris Kattan, "it made me dance so hard" LOL.

Since I took Kay's spot earlier, I waive my submission right to him.

Last edited:
disco music from about 1974 on is low level crap throughout

Disco was a big thing in south Florida. It also coincided with another big thing in south Florida, cocaine. There seemed to be a big correlation between disco and cocaine, also hard rock and marijuana.....you were one, the other, or neither. You couldn't be both! Disco people and rock people did not associate with each other for several years in the late 70's.

chrisb
Don't you mean Teddy Boys vs. Mods? :)

Tubelab_com
Yep, I remember having to choose a side. I retired my gabardine trousers, spiked my hair and got a leather jacket circa 1979. It didn't last for me, the disco/new wave crowd was more fun so I went back. Then I got married and became a dad...
I remember visiting some friends around Gainseville, Florida in the 70's and I saw neither disco nor punk. Tom Petty, Lynnard Skynnard and chiba ruled back then :)

Don't you mean Teddy Boys vs. Mods?

I thought it was Mods VS Rockers?

I remember having to choose a side

My choice was easy. I grew up annoying my neighbors with my guitar and the loudest amp creation I could build. In the 60's it was surf music, the 70's brought rock, and employment at the rapidly growing Motorola plant in a Ft. Lauderdale suburb. My jeans, flip flops and T-shirt fit in....until they put the mirrored ball in the Mirage lounge at the Holiday Inn across the street from the plant. I walked into that place exactly once, stayed for about 5 minutes, and never went back. I clearly didn't fit in with the polyester crowd. The $100 outfit crowd did seem to grow larger and larger in the factory where the average wage was about $5 per hour though.

There was another large electronics plant about 25 miles northeast of Motorola. They had been working on something top secret for a year or two with our engineering staff jumping ship at a growing rate. In the late 70's the migration spread to management and even manufacturing jobs. For some reason a disproportionate percentage of the disco crowd was part of the migration, including my soon to be ex-wife.......the secret got out, the other company was IBM and by 1981, the PC was born in that plant, which at the time employed about 10,000 people there. Motorola employed about 6000 scattered across 6 facilities.

Disco all but died at Motorola, the Mirage took down the ball, and started playing rock music again. It was too late the Mirage died, the Holiday Inn itself died, and became a budget hotel.

Today, the hotel is gone, the Motorola plant is a medical park, the other facilities all closed, the IBM plant is now a huge office park, occupied by a couple of online universities and an insurance company......but Disco never really died in south Florida, it's just called EDM, and Miami is home to the Ultra Festival, one of the premier EDM events in the country......Rock however IS pretty much gone.

70's and I saw neither disco nor punk. Tom Petty, Lynnard Skynnard

Tom Petty started out playing in the bars and small clubs around the University of Florida in Gainesville. Country rock as it was called was pretty popular across the whole southeast for several years, but it's pretty much gone now. I never heard Skynyrd on the radio for the last 10 years or so that I lived in south Florida, but Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama still gets air play here.

My mind started wandering back in time to the days before I had records. My music came from a monophonic reel to reel tape recorder that was connected to an AM radio. I would record a song at 7 1/2 IPS then play it back at 3 3/4 IPS so that I could figure out the guitar parts.

By the late 60's I had 3 working stereo tape recorders, a Garrard SL72B turntable and a DIY tube stereo system. We made tapes of some of our own music. Sadly none of those tapes survived the test of time. Attempts to play them in the late 70's left chunks of oxide all over that place, because it literally fell off the tape.

Were talking Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, The Surfaris and the Ventures here, then move forward in time just a nudge, and psychedelic stuff started flowing out of the radio. Even before the country boy, Kenny Rodgers came up with What Condition My Condition Was In, there was this:

You're gonna wake up one morning as the sun greets the dawn.
You're gonna look around in your mind, girl, you're gonna find that I'm gone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.