Naim (split from Blowtorch)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: quacks

Steve Eddy said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why audio geeks never get laid.

No. You forget about your silly creations, throw on some Barry White, and show her some body language of your own.

se

;) We just past the 32 year mark last week and I know I'm doing good with my silly creations when she sits down and tells me, after listening, not to change a thing (more to the point, don't touch anything, leave it alone for once). Which of course I don't.

This, of course, doesn't mean I'm not a geek... A good woman can be discribed as one who can hear and has no hesitation with telling you your past two months of work sounds like crap. The upside is when she says it sounds good.

VivaVee said:
Snoopy, you will be searching in vain for 'scientific evidence'. It is the equivalent of demanding scientific proof that I prefer brunettes. I really can't be bothered to explain my preference. I would rather that spend the energy/time to enjoying the company of my wife.

This is a straw man.

The proof being asked for has nothing to do with simple subjective preference.

If all anyone ever did was simply say "This amp/whatever sounds good/better/whatever..." and left it at that, then everything would be groovy. That's because no on is making any objective claims. They're just relating their subjective experience which needn't be proved to anyone.

However when one goes beyond this, and starts making claims of actual audible differences, then we're no longer in the realm of subjectivity but of objectivity.

And when one makes an objective claim, not only is that claim open to question or challenge, but the one making the claim has the burden of proof to substantiate it.

It's really very simple. If one doesn't want their objective claims to be questioned or challenged, and/or they can not or will not substantiate it with something more than ego an vanity, then DON'T MAKE THE CLAIM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

That's not so difficult now, is it?

se

To treat an audio chain as a system cannot be totally wrong. I always found the NAIM solution, to incorporate the inevitable cable as a part of the amp, very clever. If you can get rid of a possible sound deteriorating output coil with a few meters of cable which you will have to use anyway, why not?
As an audio pro I know that cables are important but less so when the equipment is well designed for the purpose and impedancens are matched accordingly. In todays studio practice it is completely common that microphones "incorporate" the phantom power line split resistors (normed to 6k8 with high precision) as a vital part in their circuits.
NAIM use for a very long time a simple 3-core power cable as the connection between the preamp-powersupply and the power-amp as a signal cable. Three strands!! One for each unbalanced channel and one for ground. Period. They also used (professional) DIN plugs and sockets for that reason. And everybody found that old-fashioned. But it was and is a simply better approach - than the completely unnecessary doubling of the ground line with unbalanced lines, making the system much more open to hum loops and other influences.

lohk said:

NAIM use for a very long time a simple 3-core power cable as the connection between the preamp-powersupply and the power-amp as a signal cable. Three strands!! One for each unbalanced channel and one for ground. Period. They also used (professional) DIN plugs and sockets for that reason.

They used DIN plugs for what reason? To keep people from using more readily-available XLR-terminated cables?

se

lohk said:
All this NAIM-Bashing is totally ridiculous and unnecessary. Some of you probably have never listened in an unbiased way and/or have no ideas why the used technique was chosen.

red herring and Argumentum ad Hominem fallacies :(

NAIM amps are a very clever example how systems synergies (grounding scheme for example) work and how basically simple and humble "textbook" applications can be turned into something special. NAIM amps were - in contrary to what is claimed here by somebody - never unreliable nor unstable; they always - in their heydays at least - proofed to be more powerful and musical than some many competitors. The fact the NAIM still exists and prospers not only shows clever marketing but also clever engineering, if you like it or not.

If you had read this thread properly then you would have realized that these amps were potentially unreliable and were only reliable when use with their own speaker cables.

Clever marketing Yes but engineering No !!

NAIM never claimed that theirs amps can be used without the equivalent preamps, cause they obviously knowed about the possibilities of simple tweaked circuits. The idea to use very fast selected transistors (custom made by Semelab, quasi complimentary with diode) in common with phase corrected drive was admittedly not invented by Mr. Vereker himself but used with a very good result.

It was a common or garden variety circuit used by nearly everyone at the time. However clever marketing allowed them to charge a premium for it. Phase corrected drive that still couldn't correct for a poor phase margin !!! In other words meaningless drivel !!!

I have sold many of these amps in the eighties, only very few customers had problems, failures of amps were very rare. Mostly because people used the small underpowered NAIT for parties etc.
Why NAIM amps sometimed did not work so well with some "special" loudspeaker cables? Simply because the design of these cables was essentially flawed (high capacitance etc). They could tailor the sound of the odd exotic amp brand, but that does not prove anything.
NAIM amps set standards in musicality - until today.

And you say that other people are biased !! I knew there was an angle to this post !!! First you said that it was a reliable product but now you are stating the external conditions for it to be reliable. It's funny how those "flawed cables" worked quite well with other amplifiers ;)

The schematic showed some postings before was NOT the original schematic, neither of the NAP140 (which used Sanken output transistors) not of the famous NAP250 - parts of it resemble to the very first NAIM amps from the mid-seventies, when they were developed as prototypes. This schematic was without mentioning the original source copied from the HP of Avondaleaudio, a tiny british company who survives supplying a tiny group of tweakers.

If the original designs were so good why did they bother to change it ??

The NAIM preamps use technologies which are well known and well respected (single ended ClassA with CCS) - any criticism should criticize also other manufacturers (Like PASS/Threshhold). This technology also showed that the quality of the power supply cannot be rated high enough. Instead of searching a possible unreliable technique which was too expensive maybe they decided to select humble LM317s - and it worked, so who cares.
I - and I am repeating myself here on DIYaudio - have listened to many NAIM clones, no one was bettered the original ones.

Nothing original that couldn't have been knocked up from a Mullard applications book.

NAIMs recipy very often was to modify and develop basic techniques until getting something special: Isn't it what we all are doing to get better sound (if possible)? That probably also make their CD Players so special. Have you ever been listenind to the CD555? If you have, you will never say anything stupid about this company anymore. Well, it definitely IS very expensive, maybe too expensive, but nevertheless...

Please explain these modifications in detail and why they do what you claim them to do ?? Please do not resort to fallacies in your response !!

Most NAIM amps used (and still use?) tantal capacitors, something which is an absolute NoNo in audiophile communities. But their sound prove that if correctly biased even these items can sound perfectly well. This is just one example.

That's absurd !! Either they are good or they are not. You can't be half pregnant !!

I could go on - but this should be a enthusiast and devellopers forum. Please use the search button for more discussions and statements.

It is. My advice to DIYer's is to stop wasting time with mediocre amplifier circuit topologies, and either spend more time learning about the fundamentals of circuit theory and/or learn from other respected designs which have been designed by knowledgeable people in their fields.

I really get angry when people make clever statements out of no knowledge at all, judge sound qualities by looking at the (wrong) schematic or by laughing over possible design faults. Do inform yourself a bit better before making bland statements.
You said you have no scientific evidence that these amps are anything better than ordinary ones? Then you are either deaf or you talk about something you have never seen nor listened to.

You're entitled to your subjective opinions. But that is all they are. Please back up your claims with evidence rather than your opinions based on your emotional state of mind.

I always wondered why NAIM amps sound so good, although they textbookwise shouldn't. I always wanted to start a discussion why this is so, and what could we learn from that. But mostly just ill-informed bashing occurred.
Why this company rises so much hatred? Is it because most tweakers must learn that their results were simply inferiour to the original?

Again just your opinion rather than a statement of fact.

Is it why we do not like to admit that engineering alone does not necessary proof good sound?

That's because you have no engineering knowledge so you try to make up for it by dismissing it as having little relevance.

To compare NAIM from inside with cheap Japanese technology is not only uninformed but shows how stupid and blind textbooks and prejudices can make.

Sounds like you buy on price alone irrespective of the technology employed. Please explain why these Naim amps were superior to their cheaper Japanese ilk ??

Are or were these amps expensive? Yes, but you do not have to buy them if you do not want. Prices never really showed anything about the inherent quality, the so-called highend market is full of quality wise overpriced items. For the calculation of the shop-price of a piece of equipment the technical side is only partly important.

That is true ;) Just have a look inside a Naim amplifier and you can see mediocrity with a high price tag.

Julian Vereker was a man with verve and vision: He wanted to get somewhere - and he got it. He was using all his abilities for that, in that way or another. Why are we not doing the same instead of grumble about others ideas or results?

Nothing more than an opportunist who saw a great opportunity to extract money from the technically ignorant :xeye:

lohk said:
NAIM use for a very long time a simple 3-core power cable as the connection between the preamp-powersupply and the power-amp as a signal cable. Three strands!! One for each unbalanced channel and one for ground. Period. They also used (professional) DIN plugs and sockets for that reason. And everybody found that old-fashioned. But it was and is a simply better approach - than the completely unnecessary doubling of the ground line with unbalanced lines, making the system much more open to hum loops and other influences.

That's why nobody uses those DIN connectors anymore because they are just too good !!! :xeye:

VivaVee said:
The tradeoffs MUST, in the end, be decided by the human ear
That is the crux of the issue here. The Naim amplifiers were designed and built to sound a particular way. Production testing involved a listening test on each and every amplifier after a minimum 24 hour burn-in period.

If you believe that all amplifiers sound the same (to misquote Peter Walker) then such a design goal is heresy. And you can get all hot and bothered about people who do listen to amplifiers (as opposed to music! ':)').

And which 'way' is that ?? Is it your way, the next door neighbours way ?? Which 'way' is it ??

Snoopy, you will be searching in vain for 'scientific evidence'. It is the equivalent of demanding scientific proof that I prefer brunettes. I really can't be bothered to explain my preference. I would rather that spend the energy/time to enjoying the company of my wife.

Well I'm not interested in your preferences either so don't waste anymore time on this forum and instead talk to your wife about it or maybe your dog might be interested as well ;)

If you are prepared to accept that an audio amplifier is designed for the purpose of listening to music then, as in my logical realm, the acceptability test procedure requires a human being using said amplifier to listen to music, then... you might find a discussion about the Naim (and other amplifiers with similar design goals) useful.

An amplifier is supposed to scale up the signal that is fed to it so that it can drive a suitable loudspeaker load in order to accurately reproduce the musical signal fed to it. It should do nothing more and nothing less !!! To say that an amplifier should purposely introduce extraneous artifacts into the original signal based on your own subjective preferences, should in no way be used to measure the worthiness of a particular piece of amplification equipment as everyones subjective preferences will be somewhat different !!!

An amplifier is supposed to scale up the signal that is fed to it so that it can drive a suitable loudspeaker load in order to accurately reproduce the musical signal fed to it. It should do nothing more and nothing less !!! To say that an amplifier should purposely introduce extraneous artifacts into the original signal based on your own subjective preferences, should in no way be used to measure the worthiness of a particular piece of amplification equipment as everyones subjective preferences will be somewhat different !!!

OK pal, build an amp with sub-ppm distortion, field it into the markeplace amongst discerning audiophiles, and see how it sells.

Your high 'straight wire with gain' ideals might take quite a beating......

I'm beginning to believe that you know it all. You are clearly terribly clever. Do you really think you are smarter and better educated than most here? You say things behind the keyboard you would never say to people's faces.

I don't believe your approach is necessarily admired amongst moderate, conservative engineers at all. If it were, everyone would be buying Halcros, which measure damn well. Examine NP's posts; he is not so hung up on low distortion figures. Care to disagree with him?

Hugh

AKSA said:

OK pal, build an amp with sub-ppm distortion, field it into the markeplace amongst discerning audiophiles, and see how it sells.

Your high 'straight wire with gain' ideals might take quite a beating......

I'm beginning to believe that you know it all. You are clearly terribly clever. Do you really think you are smarter and better educated than most here? You say things behind the keyboard you would never say to people's faces.

I don't believe your approach is necessarily admired amongst moderate, conservative engineers at all. If it were, everyone would be buying Halcros, which measure damn well. Examine NP's posts; he is not so hung up on low distortion figures. Care to disagree with him?

Hugh

Not everyone uses your amplifiers either so what's going on here particularly when you claim they sound soooooo ggoooood ??. Surely if they sound soooooo ggoooood then everyone should agree with you and everyone should be using them ?? What's going on here. How can this be so ?? Hmmmm maybe the subjective evaluation process is not that a reliable indicator of the worthiness of a piece of audio equipment ;)

And don't look at me when you talk about people who know everything. I never said I did. I just don't like people who make ridiculous claims and are not willing to back it up with evidence. Instead they resort to fallacious arguments and reasoning that only paranormal science can explain.

There is another one here that regularly posts that won't let you forget that he claims to know everything and you'd better watch out if you disagree with him as he doesn't take prisoners.

Snoopy, I am one of the few people who has contributed any factual material to this thread. I both knew Julian Vereker, heard his amps in his own system, and am experienced enough to see fine points in a schematic, such as appreciating higher F(t) power transistors, in fact were 5 times higher than the ones that I was using at the time. You just don't see the 'trees' for the forest, as I said before.

john curl said:
Snoopy, I am one of the few people who has contributed any factual material to this thread. I both knew Julian Vereker, heard his amps in his own system, and am experienced enough to see fine points in a schematic, such as appreciating higher F(t) power transistors, in fact were 5 times higher than the ones that I was using at the time. You just don't see the 'trees' for the forest, as I said before.

And I told you that Luxman and many other Japanese manufacturers were using high fT power devices years before Naim did and all of the "audio gurus" like to slag off Japanese equipment for no valid reason at all except that they had a much lower price tag and hence were a lot better value for money.

And for the 100th time can you please explain these finer points in the following format :-

1. Point Number 1.....
2. Point Number 2.....

N. Point Number N......

john curl said:
Hugh, this engineer does not understand how both our preamp designs are appreciated throughout the world, especially in Japan. He is apparently, clueless.

That statement proves nothing because there is a lot of equipment from all around the world including exotic Japanese equipment that is appreciated in Japan. You need to get your head out of the sand and stop living on your past glories.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.