Naim (split from Blowtorch)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
x-pro, you have seen the point I am getting at.

I guess you could make a Naim clone that was actually "better" than a Naim but it would still not be a Naim.

Arthur, I have a 32 preamp with a SNAPS power supply I use for phono. For cd the line stage is not as good as a passive attenuator.

sp

stoolpigeon said:
I guess you could make a Naim clone that was actually "better" than a Naim but it would still not be a Naim.

Suppose you go and buy a NAP250. You audition both channels and find they sound the same. You take all the parts out of one channel and set them aside. You then replace them with the same make and part no. components which you have bought yourself (and therefore are chosen at random from batches). You flow-solder the board to keep the joints in good working order, like Naim do.

Now you audition the two channels again. Do they still sound the same?

stoolpigeon said:
x-pro, you have seen the point I am getting at.

Arthur, I have a 32 preamp with a SNAPS power supply I use for phono. For cd the line stage is not as good as a passive attenuator.

sp

Mate you need to seriously think about upgrading. I mean buying something completely different ;)

Suppose you go and buy a NAP250. You audition both channels and find they sound the same. You take all the parts out of one channel and set them aside. You then replace them with the same make and part no. components which you have bought yourself (and therefore are chosen at random from batches). You flow-solder the board to keep the joints in good working order, like Naim do. Now you audition the two channels again. Do they still sound the same?

why would anyone do that?

Roar Malmin said:
Thanks. Looks peculiar, I seem to remember that John mentioned earlier that one of the virtues were a lack of protection? BTW, nice scheme for tailoring the distribution of distortion artifacts, the 22K in the LTP.
I can see where DS got one of his ideas now. In this particular constellation, with almost nonexistent heatsink, it is a must.

Regards
Roar

Why tailor the distortion ?? Why not get rid of the distortion all together and know that your amplifier is not adding stuff to the original signal in any way ;) Isn't that what it's all about ??

Snoopy, I fully agree with you on that topic, but this is an old amp, and it is VERY simple. It is almost impossible to make one with fewer parts, so you are forced to make sacrifices in the distortion department. The loading on the VAS is far too high, and factor after factor can be mentioned, but JV deliberately choose to make it like this, so your comments doesn`t really apply.
I made power amplifiers from approx -83. I used mainly 2SA1227 and 2SC2987, lovely NEC ring emitters. Of course, these amps were not QC, but PP. During that period I used almost five thousand pairs. JV, if he wanted, could also have converted his amps to PP, but he elected not to do so, so he must have been satisfied with the fruit of his looms, so to speak.
BTW, do you remember the ad with this chap standing rubbing his chin, looking at a NAIM amp on a crushed floor. "Sorry I didn`t catch your NAIM". Just fantastic.

Regards
Roar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.