NAD 3020i MJ15003/MJ15004 replace MJ2995/2N3055

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should probably start a new thread but I'll post here anyway.

Thought the volume pot might get better with use but it's not so it's time to replace.

The schematic suggests that there should be a 50k pot but it's a 20k that's fitted. A quick search for 20KAX2 brings up some Alps pots but none that look the same.

There’s an Alpha 50k that looks similar here -

Alpha 50K Type B stereo potentiometer | Hifi Collective

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20170922_125204_1.jpg
    20170922_125204_1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 274
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Tagging leads to the replacement should be easy (resistor leads are good for that kind of thing) and they can also be bent to shape to fit the PCB holes.

I can't guarantee its the same size but it looks like you have enough wiggle room in there.

Just a note for others. The volume pot on the earlier 3020 models have a tap on the volume pot connected to the loudness control, and it's not a centre tap. The chances of finding a replacement are roughly zero, except robbing another amp, so a standard pot would leave the amp with no loudness control. No big deal really. It is best to try and clean the original if possible. Thankfully NAD gave up on the loudness switch with the 3020i.

I'm not keen on 'upgrades' for these amps, they're very finely tuned circuits. Different o/p trannies and emitter resistors will change the feedback loop characteristics. I've got one here, failed o/p trannies but only because there's no heatsink compound on them. Duh!

I've also had to fix a headphone socket on one of these. It was horrible, I cried. I'd recommend bypassing the speaker switches on this if you don't use headphones much. Or use the switches to operate a speaker relay like the later NAD amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.