NAD 2600 speaker output relay replacement

I followed guygo's recommendation and replaced the relays on my 2200 with IMO units. Works great. Here's a video detailing the process...

NAD 2200 Protection Relay Repair - YouTube

Relatively easy fix. Most difficult part is drilling the PCB to support the IMO relays but it's really no big deal if you're careful. I had one pad lift during desoldering but that's because my vacuum pump is on its last legs and I had a problem getting a good seal.

The punch-through effect as well as some high frequency attenuation in the problem channel is gone. Amp sounds brand new again!

Hi Teleman,
I just replaced the output relays in my NAD C740 with small footprint (24mm long) 24V DPST from this seller 2 Slim Power Relay 24VDC 3A DPST Non Latch Flux Resistant Aromat ALA2F24 | eBay
If that's the type you're looking for they're working really nicely.
Cheers

I need to replace the DPST relay in my NAD 7155 receiver, and I'm tempted to use this part as a replacement since it appears to have the correct mechanical footprint and coil voltage. However, according to the datasheet the max current capacity is 3A. Can that possibly be sufficient??

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/316/ala-catalog-462024.pdf

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread! My NAD 2600A started having some break-up on the right channel, so I searched the www for information on what might be wrong, and came across this thread. Diagnosis, instructions, replacement part numbers, and even a video. I ordered relays from amazon, trimmed the wide posts with clippers, soldered them in place, and the amp works perfectly again.

I'm with Ellm here. Thanks for all your recommendations and ideas. Not done yet, but at least new pots and relays are on the way.

Link to the relay I found on a german forum: http://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/C300/FRA2.pdf

And the shopping page (hope this is allowed): FRA2C-S2 24V: Hochstromrelais FRA2C-S2 24V, 1 Wechsler 30A bei reichelt elektronik

Quoting myself as I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to edit. Sorry.

Anyway. - NAD 2700 is sitting on the kitchen table and playing - for what I guess will be happily ever after. The new relays measures 400 Ohm across the coil vs. 500 Ohms on the PXSs. 20% up in power drain, but fingers crossed it won't be a problem long term. They engage with a nice solid click, so it looks like all is well in the world again.

You have to cut one pin on the new relays, then they're a straight drop in - see picture.

Again - thanks for all the pointers to helping sort this.

F4BIfpJ.jpg

The IMOs take a bit more current to solidly toggle so I replaced R413 with a 240 ohm, 2 watt carbon comp resistor. Each relay now has a solid 22VDC across their coils, it is all working marvellously, and they make a very nice "click" when they energize.
These are definitely an excellent choice for replacement relays in this amp. Thanks for the clue, swinnea.
The IMOs also have a lower coil resistance, 362R versus about 515R, so changing the resistor was probably unnecessary. I just did one without changing it and it works perfectly.

Having said that, if I had it to do over again I would definitely just clean the contacts in the existing relay. They are very easy to get at.

Hello,

I have a 2600PE and facing the same bad relay issue
Having said that, if I had it to do over again I would definitely just clean the contacts in the existing relay. They are very easy to get at.

I've done that three time and the last time I even sanded gently the contacts but after a few months the problem arise again, so I've ordered the FRA2C-S2 as well with the hope this will fix it for good :)

Cheers
Benoit

I did ordered the FRA2C-S2 from Reichelt (fast nice delivery) and payed with paypal.

Installed them into a 2200 but i pins where slighty off and i drilled all the holes a bit bigger and it went in quite smooth.

Nice click but amp takes a bit longer to energize the relays so delay is now maybe 4-5sec. I also changed caps around this area so can be that too. This area and the 470R /2w is going hot!
Thx for the tip about this relay. Seems solid.

The IMOs also have a lower coil resistance, 362R versus about 515R, so changing the resistor was probably unnecessary. I just did one without changing it and it works perfectly.

so did this work out for good? I have the relays but not the replacement for the other part. id like to not have to change more if not needed.

appreciate any info on how yours worked out long term.

thx

I put this job off for too long so finally ordered the IMO relays from Newark and installed them into my 2600A today. If you have one of these amps with the original relays don't hesitate, replace them. I had cleaned mine several times and the issue always came back and it's as much work to clean as it is to replace. I left the original resistor and the relays activate nicely with a nice solid click. I had a 330 ohm ready but after testing with the original 470 I didn't bother. It works great and has actually improved things. It used to be a bit weak on the left channel, that is now better.

I put this job off for too long so finally ordered the IMO relays from Newark and installed them into my 2600A today. If you have one of these amps with the original relays don't hesitate, replace them. I had cleaned mine several times and the issue always came back and it's as much work to clean as it is to replace. I left the original resistor and the relays activate nicely with a nice solid click. I had a 330 ohm ready but after testing with the original 470 I didn't bother. It works great and has actually improved things. It used to be a bit weak on the left channel, that is now better.
Much like you I have also been putting this off forever because it's so much easier to just buy more gear than it is to fix something. I do very much miss this amplifier though. So I'm extremely grateful for your updates in this thread. I'm gonna ahead and buy those parts tonight and get mine back up and running as well. I just registered to say thank you.