Mystery 'sj74'? jfets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Never measured the physical size of my beloved J74s (or K170s) before now. :D

Can we really be assured that fakes will have a different size than genuine parts? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_9672.JPG
    IMG_9672.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 551
Yeeeeeeesss.... my precious... for the photo session was put in the hard box with anti static padding. :D

I handle these parts with great care and respect. They are NOS after all... ;)

The few hundreds of genuine jets I've are stuck into anti static padding after being measured and curved traced. Just waiting for their purpose in life. :rolleyes:

Well, time runs fast sometimes, but some measurments have been done.

At first I had no current diodes for the Borbely rig. But I hope that I got this right anyway.

The result are as follows (10% measured=4psc each N/P). 10V.
For transconductance 0,1Vpp 1kHz sine was applied and output was measured with Rd 1k at Idss. Gm calculated as in Borbely papers.

"2Sk170BL"
Vp 1,304-1,350 V
Idss 15,27-16,92 mA
Out 1,32-1,34 V
Gm 23,42-25,18

V-grade should have higher Gm so what may they be ?

"2SJ74BL"
Vp 1,929-2,098 V
Idss 7,30-8,20 mA
Out 0,200-0,270 V
Gm 7,51-7,81

One intresting thing is that the current goes down when they get warmer. On my genuine parts the current goes up a bit before stabilizing...

They were bought at Banzai music. I will contact them :(
But the SJ103Y and SK246 GR they sent seem to fit the specs. Sadley they didn't send the same grade, but one can't get it all :rolleyes:

Regards

Figge

the first group of 2sk170BL have too high an Idss.
That makes the markings = fake

The second group of 2sj74BL
have too high Vpinchoff (for that range of Idss) and that leads to a calaculation of the gm that is too low.
That makes the markings = fake.

For transconductance 0,1Vpp 1kHz sine was applied and output was measured with Rd 1k at Idss.
What is this?
Gm calculated as in Borbely papers
Borbely tests are carried out at constant DC, not at 1kHz.

Last edited:
More than 10000 of J74 came through my hands, so I just want to share my experience.
Most of 2SK74/2SK170 has laser marking and the font all the time is the same, marking
is very sharp - I saw some fake J74 with very similiar font and laser marking, but the lines were not so well-done, although most of fakes has printed marking with color similiar to laser, but this making easy removable by acetone. Some items of old production (I had a box of 2SJ74BL 1998 production) has white print marking - but is is impossible to remove it with acetone, alchohol, etc - fake marking usually easy removable.
IDSS of genuine items always according datasheet - I have never seen even one outside the range. During IDSS measuring, the current of GR/BL slowly goes up (till some value, of course) - fake often has idss that reaches maximum at the beginning, then goes down - exception is "V" grade with high IDSS - it also goes down.
All things that people told about the item thickness is right - usually fakes are thinner.
I testednot a long time ago faked 2SK170GR, good laser marking, font a bit smaller than original - this was suspicious, and IDSS is in range(!!!), but curves were different - looked like J310 as I remember.
You can post pictures of your J74/K170, and usually I can say by picture, is it genuine or not.

Dear Alweit,
Thank you, that confirmed my observation about diametre!
Last batch SJ74BL I've bought, seemed to be original, according to Idss measurement.
Also it have a shining surface with laser marking, quite good font types and colour,
Although line of 7 is straight, rather than curved a little.
But they didn't behave well in my Sony VFET amp.
BTW, I would like to thank to you for 2SK2013/2SJ313 I've bought from you, at EBAY some time ago.
Also, I must ask, can I buy some 2SJ74BL?
Reguired Idss range is 8-11mA.
Kind regards,
Gyuri

Last edited:
I have now mailed Banzai support.
Waiting for their answer, but it has already been taking longer than when I contacted them about buying some parts, then the were fast as lightning :snail:

I will contatct Paypal tomorrow if there's no response, or wrong response :mad:

Anyone knows where to get ~8 matched J74/K170BL pairs ?
There seem to be a couple of reliable sources :confused:

Regards

Figge

More than 10000 of J74 came through my hands, so I just want to share my experience.
Most of 2SK74/2SK170 has laser marking and the font all the time is the same, marking
is very sharp - I saw some fake J74 with very similiar font and laser marking, but the lines were not so well-done, although most of fakes has printed marking with color similiar to laser, but this making easy removable by acetone. Some items of old production (I had a box of 2SJ74BL 1998 production) has white print marking - but is is impossible to remove it with acetone, alchohol, etc - fake marking usually easy removable.
IDSS of genuine items always according datasheet - I have never seen even one outside the range. During IDSS measuring, the current of GR/BL slowly goes up (till some value, of course) - fake often has idss that reaches maximum at the beginning, then goes down - exception is "V" grade with high IDSS - it also goes down.
All things that people told about the item thickness is right - usually fakes are thinner.
I testednot a long time ago faked 2SK170GR, good laser marking, font a bit smaller than original - this was suspicious, and IDSS is in range(!!!), but curves were different - looked like J310 as I remember.
You can post pictures of your J74/K170, and usually I can say by picture, is it genuine or not.

Hi alweit,

Genuine or fake from the pictures?

Attachments

• 2sjkjfet.jpg
    2sjkjfet.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 464
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.