Mystery 'sj74'? jfets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I agree that they look like GR parts. What I was thinking was that if they
are in fact not 2sj74s at all, then we have a pretty impressive imposter
since both Idss and Yfs are within the GR spec.

Given jackinnj's comment in post #46, it would be interesting to see what
the noise is like.

BTW, I neglected to mention that the parts I traced are supposed to be 2sj108V.

Cheers,
Dennis

Last edited:
I agree that they look like GR parts. What I was thinking was that if they
are in fact not 2sj74s at all, then we have a pretty impressive imposter
since both Idss and Yfs are within the GR spec.

Given jackinnj's comment in post #46, it would be interesting to see what
the noise is like.

BTW, I neglected to mention that the parts I traced are supposed to be 2sj108V.

Cheers,
Dennis

I am going to build a low noise amp for testing parts like this. It's really the only final way to rule that they are genuine Toshiba process parts. I can almost hear the sellers comeback - "I bought them from a supplier". Actually, these are great compared to total FAKES I got from componentsMAX a couple weeks a go. It was just a sample lot of 10 they agreed to send. Idss of 8mA, with Yfs of 8 to 10. Something not right about that, and not at all Toshiba.

I also bought 8 linear LSJ74GR type. Now these are a bit low for an Aleph-J as they are grouped around 4mA. However, since I'm designing my own PCB's for the amp, I'll design the PCB for 2 in parallel at the input so that GR types can be readily used.

Here are 2SJ74BL's from Spencer, Woody (group buy few years back), and eBayer janeh2100. The Spencer and Woody Fets are 36mS & 32mS, but the janeh2100 Fet is obviously counterfeit at 6mS.

Attachments

• sj74.jpg
    sj74.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 622
Thanks Mr. Pass.

Regarding the boxes on those pictures, one of them (2SJ74) says "Assembled in Thailand" on the label while the other (2SK170) "Assembled in Japan".

Just curious, is there any quality differences between these Toshiba parts made in Thailand and parts made in Japan?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Mr. Pass.

Regarding the boxes on those pictures, one of them (2SJ74) says "Assembled in Thailand" on the label while the other (2SK170) "Assembled in Japan".

Just curious, is there any quality differences between these Toshiba parts made in Thailand and parts made in Japan?

The package should say "Diffused in Japan" and may say "Assembled Somewhere
Else" Where it's diffused is the important part.

:cool:

Well, now it was my turn to get some crap J74/K170 Jfets :(

I checked them for IDSS when I got them and it was a bit low for a BL. Today I tested Gm the fast way but the results looks like what others have seen.

Gm is very low and it decreases when it warms up and/or with increasing current.
Both N and P's are the same s**t. Some numbers:

J74. Id 7,2mA ~in 148mV out 120mV !?
Genuine J74 Id 6,04mA, in 98mV, out 897mV !

I will check further tomorrow about complains. I got them from a German company some months ago, I hope it's not to late.
Maybe I can use them as *@#$$*@ expensive current sources ?

PS: It may be intresting to others to know where I got them, but is it Ok to tell ?

/Figge

Photo

Here's a picture of a genuine part, the upper one, and what I belive is a fake, the lower one.
They don't look the same. The cut on top look different to.

I'm no expert in Gm-testing but this is what happened:
With 0.2VAC 1kHz sine wave to the gate, and 10V D-S with 1k in series, it first had higher Gm but when it got warmer and ID got up it fell like a rock. When I tested the genuine parts they behaved totally opposite.
They also had higher IDSS than the bad ones.

I also tested SJ103/SK246 that i got in the same order. They measure a bit better but behaved similar to the others. I wonder if they are ok. One is marked GR and one Y ? It don't seem right :confused:

So, as some people point out - there are mostly fakes around :(

Figge

Attachments

• 20170110_164427 (800x450).jpg
    20170110_164427 (800x450).jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 392
Fakes are definitely in the market! :mad:

My genuine J74s looks similar to your genuine one.

I can offer to measure and curve trace your JFETs if we are not talking about hundreds of JFETs... and send you the data (via e-mail) and JFETs back. PM me.

Attachments

• IMG_9669.JPG
    IMG_9669.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_9670.JPG
    IMG_9670.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 306
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.