• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Uriah,

MKP is WIMA's designation for metallized polypropylene film cap. 4 and 2 designate the package geometry. All MKP2's are 5mm spacing in a square package. MKP4 can be from 7.5mm to 37.5mm lead spacing in an oblong package. FKP2 is a stacked film and foil cap in a square package with 5mm lead spacing, and is a better sounding cap. I believe this would be most important at C21.

Peace,
Tom E

The $34 Fostex input cap from Madisound(copper and tin foil) is not essential, but it is a very good idea to have a cap there. Any DC at the input, even unexpectedly, would prove disastrous for speakers, possibly the entire amp. So, the old argument: spend for a nice input cap or buy new drivers?

There are other film and foil caps available for less money. Dario is happy with the Mundorf ZN (tin foil) at half the price from Parts Connexion. I tried a cheaper film and foil cap of similar construction, Auricap Theta (tin foil) from Parts Express, and wasn't satisfied because it sounded bright to me. Others might appreciate the overwhelming amount of detail and sense of depth.

I think a 1.0uf cap is big enough at this position. I use a 0.68uf, and I still have plenty of solid, deep bass.

The important thing is to use a film and foil cap, NOT a metallized film. It will cost more and be bigger, but it will impart a three dimensionality to the sound that cannot be had with a meatllized film cap, even a very expensive one.

I expect that such a high price item would be considerably cheaper in a large quantity and might even be subject to direct negotiation with the supplier. The problem might be availability of such a large quantity. Perhaps you should add a column to the spread sheet for builders to elect buying an appropriate cap in the kit or buy their own or risk leaving it out entirely. We could still get a nice discount for more than ten.

Peace,
Tom E

Last edited:
Guys,
Whats the difference between MKP4 or 2 and FKP2? Are we basically talking lead spacing here?
There are a few values not available at one distributor in FKP but are in MKP or the other way around and some are available in MKP2 but not MKP4.
Uriah

The MKP4 is the only polypropilene available in 7.5mm Lead spacing (perfect fit to TP boards), an alternative could be MKS4 (505-MKS4.1/400/10)

The MKP4 it's actually available from Mouser (pay attention, with the same code two articles...click the link for the right one)

Where I've specified FKP2 it should be FKP2 because it makes an audible difference.

FKP2 1000pF is available from Mouser (505-FKP21000/100/5 >1000)
FKP2 22nF is available from Mouser (505-FKP20.022/63/2.5 >300)
FKP2 150pF is available from Mouser (505-FKP2150/100/2.5 >600)

I've found an error with the MKP2 100nF reccomendation, I've ordered it and it's too big (could be fitted but not perfectly) so it's problably better to go for a MKS2 100nF (505-MKS2.1/63/10) or 220nF (505-MKS20.22/63/10), both would fit.
The 0.1 uF opamp bypass could be either a MKS2 or a MKP2.

Another if anyone remembers
THE BC546 comes in a few different HFE values from 100mA to 400mA. Does anyone recall if that was specified?
Part number for the relay. I dont have it anymore. I remember this thing was a pain to get enough of.
Uriah

Transistor BC546 (512-BC546), this code worked for me.

Relay OMRON G5LE-14-DC24 (Mouser 653-G5LE-14-DC24 , Digikey Z1013-ND)

From Mouser is available (>3500), no stock at Digikey

I dont think I am going to include the 38 dollar input capacitor unless a bunch of you request it.

The Mundorf Zn is transparent and not harsh at all but probably it could be better to leave the input cap off unless you can get a good discount for it...

Obbligatos are a good choice too and costs only 8$ each.

Uriah, you have mail...

The Mundorf Zn is transparent and not harsh at all but probably it could be better to leave the input cap off unless you can get a good discount for it...

Obbligatos are a good choice too and costs only 8$ each.

Uriah, you have mail...

I quote on the Obbligatos: very good experience with the golden ones (Premium) around 1uF, impossible to beat at this price point. Anyway I would keep this part as optional.

Last edited:
Guys,
Whats the difference between MKP4 or 2 and FKP2? Are we basically talking lead spacing here?
There are a few values not available at one distributor in FKP but are in MKP or the other way around and some are available in MKP2 but not MKP4.
Uriah

Differences from the datasheets:

Cheers

Jon

MKP2

Metallized Polypropylene (PP) Capacitors in PCM 5 mm
Special Features
˜ High volume/capacitance ratio
˜ Self-healing
˜ Increased pulse duty from 250 VDC rated voltage
˜ Very low dissipation factor
˜ Negative capacitance change versus temperature
˜ Very low dielectric absorption
˜ According to RoHS 2002/95/EC
Typical Applications
For high frequency applications e.g.
˜ Sample and hold
˜ Timing
˜ Oscillating circuits
˜ High frequency coupling and decoupling

Capacitance range:
1000 pF to 0.33 mF (E12-values on request)
Rated voltages:
63 VDC, 100 VDC, 250 VDC, 400 VDC,
630 VDC, 1000 VDC

MKP4

Metallized Polypropylene (PP) Capacitors in PCM 7.5 mm to 37.5 mm

Special Features
High volume/capacitance ratio
Self-healing
Very low dissipation factor
Negative capacitance change versus temperature
Very low dielectric absorption
According to RoHS 2002/95/EC
Typical Applications
Sample and hold
Timing
Oscillating circuits
High frequency coupling and decoupling

Capacitance range:
0.01 µF to 33 µF (E12-values on request)
Rated voltages:
100VDC, 250VDC, 400VDC, 630VDC, 1000VDC

FKP2

Polypropylene (PP) Film and Foil
Capacitors for Pulse Applications in PCM 5 mm
Special Features
˜ Pulse duty construction
˜ Close tolerances up to ±2.5 %
(±1 % on request)
˜ Very low dissipation factor
˜ Negative capacitance change versus temperature
˜ Very low dielectric absorption
˜ According to RoHS 2002/95/EC
Typical Applications
˜ Sample and hold
˜ Timing
˜ LC-Filtering
˜ Oscillating circuits
˜ Audio equipment
Construction
Dielectric:
Polypropylene (PP) film
Capacitor electrodes:
Metal foil

Capacitance range:
33 pF to 0.033 mF (E12-values on request)
Rated voltages:
63 VDC, 100 VDC, 250 VDC, 400 VDC,
630 VDC, 800 VDC, 1000 VDC

My two cents: Include what you regard to be the best input cap in the GB. It will bring the price down and the cap will make a nice contribution to the parts bin for the ones not needing it at the moment.

And your teaser regarding price - this sounds so promising! Expect to receive a lot more contenders when the price is set. Thank You.

8200uf Nichicon KG Type II Gold Tune might be an acceptable substitute for the main power supply caps. Mouser has 162 of them now... 100 for $4.80 each? Good for 25 stereo kits?

edit: that was a CAD price. US price for 100 is $4.24 US each. Mouser US

perhaps as an option? Type I kits, Type II kits, Type III kits, with KG's and input caps. Getting complicated...

I used TSHA Panasonic 15000uf 63volt in a total Luxman recap. Seems great to me!

Last edited:
I'd suggest leaving out the bulky components from the kit BoM. These are the transformer, PSU main filter caps, heatsinks and maybe the input coupling cap. Let the kit buyers source those locally as per their taste - there are a wide variety of choices possible, and you can't please everybody. This will also reduce shipping weight and costs.

I'd suggest leaving out the bulky components from the kit BoM. These are the transformer, PSU main filter caps, heatsinks and maybe the input coupling cap. Let the kit buyers source those locally as per their taste - there are a wide variety of choices possible, and you can't please everybody. This will also reduce shipping weight and costs.

Strongly disagree: a group buy means exactly the opposite. And of course the prices would rise in case of personal choices on many parts, same as time spent chosing single parts locally, with risks of chosing parts not so suitable...
Totally nonsense on my opinion.
The only optional parts could be the transformer because of 110/220 issues and because of the shipping weight. And that's already like this, luckily.
Full monty. Otherwise I'm out of the group.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.