• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have found another distributor with some interesting things, for all of you who are looking for a chassis.I think I will go with 3U rack size, but I need to know the exact assembled board size.
Rack Enclosure Black, 3U :: 19 Inch Rack Enclosures :: Enclosures / Boxes :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music
440x290x120, 2.75kg. VAT is included, plus EU shipping it will be 58€.

Having another look at modu, they are not as expensive as I thought :p
What are the differences between Slimline and Pessante?
modushop.biz
435x300x120, 4.4kg. 45.36€ (VAT incl.) plus 30€ shipping (VAT incl.), makes a total of 75€.

But the modu weights near 2kg more, which presumibly will be better.

Go for the Galaxy Maggiorato in the big size, much asier to work with and great look with the extra 10mmm frontplate in black color.
These are great, great cases, ideal for diy projects.

Fair question. Of course.
PCBs have been ordered but take a minimum of 2 weeks then they get shipped to me.
I am moving into our new house on the 5th and will be trying to get settled in for a short time. My wife's father is going to help us with that. Sonidos will be helping me to kit everything together. Looking at the calendar the best weekend for me to work with him on that after the boards arrive is April 19,20,21 so I should be shipping the week of April 22-26. Its impossible to ship now or anytime soon even without the move or a good day to meet with Sonidos as only now is money coming in to finish paying for parts that I didnt have the money to buy and also consider the PCBs being manufactured then shipped and the input caps being shipped. Plus kitting 100 kits that have this many parts is not fast or easy.
Uriah

Uriah,

Thanks for all your hard work in putting this GB together.

I have a couple of quick questions before I place my order:
1) Which (160 VA 2x24) transformer are you offering?

2) Is the ordering ratio for the LDRs (1) LDR kit per (1) MyRef Kit or (1) LDR kit per (2) MyRef Kits?

3) I plan on trying the LDRs alone with the MyRef amps and also using the LDRs with DCB1s and MyRef amps together. Are the LDR kits offered here set with a higher impedance for the MyRef Amps than they are for the DCB1s (i.e. 100k vs 25k)?

Thanks,

David

Thanks David
Sure
1: Its from Steven Dunlap, the man behind the Krill amp, the little amp that could. He has hundreds of them. I forget the name they have on them but a google search turns up a document for the toroid manufacturer and their phone number is on the document. Ends up the phone number is the number for either Avel or Plitron. I forget which one, but either one is a great manufacturer. Is that an ambiguos enough answer? I dont have one anymore, maybe one of the guys from the old buy remembers? Chime in if you do. They work well with these amps.

2: One LDR order will be good for 2 MyRef Kits.

3: You have the power :) to change the impedance of the LDRs. Voltage regulator will do it, just make sure to use a high enough series resistance with each LDR to keep the current low enough to not burn them. At 5V that works out to about 100R. If you want a lower impedance than you get at 5V dial down the voltage and the reverse is true. You can also stick a very small series resistance right after the 5V if you want higher impedance but dont want to change voltage.

There's an issue with my PayPal (US) account and doing an international order from your ordering site. I have my international address on file with my PayPal (US) account. I filled the shopping cart, filled out my international address and email on the billing page, confirmed the the order (minus shipping costs) and then logged in to PayPal using your link. Everything was fine, except that my international address was greyed out in the PayPal payment confirmation page and it would only allow me to select a US ship-to addresses. At this point, I decided to cancel the PayPal transaction.

I have received an e-mail invoice (minus shipping costs). Could you provide shipping costs in due course, and I'll pay the entire amount by PayPal directly? Would you prefer that I pay the invoice amount (minus shipping costs), and then be invoiced separately for shipping? The main issue is that I do not want the order to be shipped accidentally to any of my US ship-to addresses on file with PayPal.

Go for the Galaxy Maggiorato in the big size, much asier to work with and great look with the extra 10mmm frontplate in black color.
These are great, great cases, ideal for diy projects.

It looks great, the bad side is that I can't attach heatsinks in its sides because it already have little ones. The other one is bigger, so I am thinking in putting in the same case my pair of MyRef_C and one chipamp.com LM3886 kit I already have built, but without case. I think that there clearance enough inside for 4 monoblocks inside one "Pessante". With the 4 heatsinks. It is 3U tall, 12cm, while the other is 8cm.
It even have some sort of "fake floor" so the screws are not seen by looking at the underside:
http://www.modu.it/piastra_interna_pesante.jpg

I can order it with 10mm front plate for 10€ more, but I cannot find any practical advantage in using a thicker and harder to work front plate. Less practical to attach switches, leds, connectors...

3: You have the power :) to change the impedance of the LDRs. Voltage regulator will do it, just make sure to use a high enough series resistance with each LDR to keep the current low enough to not burn them. At 5V that works out to about 100R. If you want a lower impedance than you get at 5V dial down the voltage and the reverse is true. You can also stick a very small series resistance right after the 5V if you want higher impedance but dont want to change voltage.
I didn't knew that you could tweak your lightspeed impedance by adjusting the regulator. Now it seem a better idea to put a pot on the regulator we designed. But I need to know in between wich ranges the impedances are adjusted, to select an appropiate value for the onboard pot. something like, at 5v you usually get 10k, at 6v you get 25k, at 8 you get 50.... Just something approximated.

I am just going to put my order for the amps, great website you built!

Thanks so much for the exciting offer going here. Your Karma should be off the chart for your efforts, supplying the prospect of nice sound to the people.

I think I read somewhere on the other threads that some people posting here are running preamps with balanced outputs. This will be my situation, as well, so I am looking for ways to convert balanced to unbalanced in a manner that will be fitting of this highly tweaked, superior sounding amp.

Here is a link to a jensen white paper on the topic:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

Their best solution is an input transformer. Here's the spec on that transformer:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/10kbd.pdf

So what do you think? Is this a suitable transformer that won't degrade the sound?

Are there other recommended transformers available?

If one uses this, could one then not use a coupling capacitor to block DC?

What are other 'high end' solutions to this problem?

TIA,

rick

There's an issue with my PayPal (US) account and doing an international order from your ordering site. I have my international address on file with my PayPal (US) account. I filled the shopping cart, filled out my international address and email on the billing page, confirmed the the order (minus shipping costs) and then logged in to PayPal using your link. Everything was fine, except that my international address was greyed out in the PayPal payment confirmation page and it would only allow me to select a US ship-to addresses. At this point, I decided to cancel the PayPal transaction.

I have received an e-mail invoice (minus shipping costs). Could you provide shipping costs in due course, and I'll pay the entire amount by PayPal directly? Would you prefer that I pay the invoice amount (minus shipping costs), and then be invoiced separately for shipping? The main issue is that I do not want the order to be shipped accidentally to any of my US ship-to addresses on file with PayPal.

Linuxguru
Go through the order process but dont check out. Just get the total and the items.
Then go to paypal and pay udailey@yahoo.com.
In the comment line of paypal tell me what items it is for and give me the address I should use. They only allow 250 characters in comment line so try to keep it short.
Also shoot me an email at diyldr@gmail.com and tell me what you did. I will print out both but the extra email is just making double sure that I catch it.
Uriah

I didn't knew that you could tweak your lightspeed impedance by adjusting the regulator. Now it seem a better idea to put a pot on the regulator we designed. But I need to know in between wich ranges the impedances are adjusted, to select an appropiate value for the onboard pot. something like, at 5v you usually get 10k, at 6v you get 25k, at 8 you get 50.... Just something approximated.

I am just going to put my order for the amps, great website you built!

The LDRs must be matched specifically for the reason that you cant say at X amount of volts you get X amount of resistance. I really wish they did a better job manufacturing them. Maybe laser trimming of the resistive surface or maybe the LEDs they use are inconsistent. Either way this is why I have to do the matching. So you could put a pot in there as R2 on the LM338 or like I said a small resistance in series with +voltage on output of regulator. Like 10R-30R which will increase impedance. All this is fine but what bothers me is that they are real easy to burn if you give them to much power and with a bunch of newbs dialing away on their voltage regulator with only one size protective resistor in front of the LDRs all of a sudden I get a bunch of complaints that they burnt their LDRs. So this is why I am always a bit hesitant to propose messing with the voltage when we know 5V plus 100R in series with each LDR is rather safe.
Uriah

Heatsink rating

I'm currently using two blocks of aluminium about half inch by two inches by four inches for each chip in a Peter Daniels LM3875 kit. Would something similar be suitable for this amp? Really looking for some idea of heatsink rating required per chip for a stereo amp.

Excellent job Uriah, payment sent!

Thanks, Mark

Albrerta: No problem.
Markblun: Thanks man :) I am running super efficient speakers so I never had the amps under much load but my Pentium 4 heatsinks barely got warm. I have to say that with no fins those seem to me to be to small. A guess of course as I have not used solid blocks before but for sure you would have plenty of time to try them out as they would heat up rather slowly. I just wonder if they would stop heating up. I would use the Nelson Pass method and if its to hot to touch for 5-10 seconds its way to small. I like my chip amp sinks warm, not hot. Recommendation would be 3x3x2 with fins.
Uriah

AndrewT,
Thanks for your kind words.
I will put an option on the site for extra chips. $4 each. They are a little cheaper from ApexJR's site but since I dont know how many we are going to sell I will have to meet his minimum order, plus shipping, plus paypal for a second order and the additional 50 cents will cover that.
Uriah

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.