My_Ref Fremen Edition RC - Build thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OT

O.K. I know I'm breaking my own rule here, but I couldn't resist.

Last night I stumbled across a a great track for my test group. It has the following outstanding features - IMO:

1. The general balance and blend is exceptional.
2. Piano is one of the hardest to record. Note the pads falling at the intro and the final run.
3. The guitar shines through where it should on both comping and arpeggios
4. May have to listen a few times, but the individual horns in the sax section are easy to distinguish - specially the bari.
5. When the bass is prominent along with the brushes it's clear the full spectrum is being presented. There is a crystal clear soft cymbal crown hit if you can find it.
6. The brass is smooth, warm and still resonant.
7. Most important !! - on my system the entire room is filled with with ambiance and presence - almost holographic. That's what made me get out of my chair and investigate.

Bonus - Listen for the air leaking into the sax mouthpieces at the beginning of the last chord....

It's a keeper for sure. It can be played online but I hope some other FE builders will download it to play on their systems.

Please don't post/respond here on the thread, but I'd appreciate comments via PM and/or email.

Test Track CB

P.S. Just finished setting up the BLAT (beta builds) with standard air cooling. Now turning back to FE RC hum.

Last edited:
Hey, It is between PGND and Safety/Earth ground. You can measure both but what is most disturbing is the AC voltage shown there.

Attachments

• hum.jpg
    hum.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 248
Thanks

Yes, probably only the transistor but to be absolutely sure I'd change also the LM317

First of all Thanks to Dario, Bob and everyone. As mentioned I changed transistor, zener and regulator. Now I have a completely working amplifier. Bass is good from the beginning. I expect more change after a long run. During connecting everything I by mistake shorted the faulty board's speaker terminal at that time smoke came from regulator, but i think its not from regulator. Did I again damaged the board? Even the sound is coming and did the measurement in Power supply section. Reading is as mentioned by Dario in Transistor, Zener and the cap section. After a half an hour run I heard a hum noise from right speaker. So I take the PGND and hum gone. I didnt ground the input properly. Could it cause hum noise? No noise, very dark and running good so far. The DC Offset is

Right = 5mV
Left = .6mV

Once again thanks all.

Badri

First of all Thanks to Dario, Bob and everyone. As mentioned I changed transistor, zener and regulator. Now I have a completely working amplifier.

You're welcome Badri :)

Did I again damaged the board?

I can't understand... your're talking about the past or the present?

I didnt ground the input properly. Could it cause hum noise?

Sure, a bad input ground connection can cause hum.

The DC Offset is

Right = 5mV
Left = .6mV

Very good values.

I can't understand... your're talking about the past or the present?

Present. Now When I am connecting the speaker I left the faulty board speaker output floating. Smoke came from regulator side. But I dont know where exactly it is from. May be LM318 [My guess]. I didnt want to remove everything and I left it like that and measured the values. It is expected values. Any suggestion.

Thanks
Badri

:up: That's the happy answer:) The only thing I would suggest is playing a mono track through each amp, one at a time and determine if you can hear a difference. I might even keep the bulb tester connected for a few days just to be safe.

Congrats on you perseverance and let know how you like the sound.

Edit: Usually when something smokes there is a blemish or some residue left on or near that component. When you get the time, use a good magnifying glass and try to find it.

Last edited:
keeping the bulb tester in circuit achieves very little.
The energy stored in the capacitors is likely enough to damage any semiconductor if there is a mishap. The bulb will light AFTER the mishap. Too late to do any good.

The bulb tester is great for first powering up after a modification. There it prevents the capacitors and circuits charging up if there is already an excessive current draw. That is also why I start with a very low wattage bulb and work upwards after I know there are no gross wiring errors.

Not really.
DC triggered relay to protect the speaker.

Semiconductors fuse too quickly to allow physical protection.
Electronic protection/limiting can work quickly enough for some abuse, but probably not all abuse we throw at circuits.

the "burn-in" should be on the bench ! and if necessary with a dummy load applied and if necessary a signal passing if some heatsinks need testing.

Not while speakers are attached and listening to music.

Last edited:
Too many beginners are asking for private help from me. I can cope with one or two a month, but when it's every other day !

I am tired directing them to the Forum to ask all the experts, that are there, to read and answer their questions, better than I can.

The beginners have not yet discovered the Email system !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.