My_Ref Fremen Edition - need help on PCB evaluation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems that boards have been shipped from China. No tracking number yet...

WooHoo ! Now if TeaBag ships the DCB1 pcb I can make one big Mouser order from all my saved projects. I ordered transformers tonight. I can't afford dual Selectronic's from France so I got the Antek AS series (shielded) 300va 2X24 and 100va 2X15 for the B1.

I ordered transformers tonight. I can't afford dual Selectronic's from France so I got the Antek AS series (shielded) 300va 2X24

Mmh, I'm not sure the modules will work with a single transformer.

Mauro, talking about the double diode bridge, stated that he thought that it would work only in a complete dual-mono topology.

In case Mauro is right about it you can populate boards with single bridges.

For the experts: any opinion on it?

Mmh, I'm not sure the modules will work with a single transformer.

Mauro, talking about the double diode bridge, stated that he thought that it would work only in a complete dual-mono topology.

In case Mauro is right about it you can populate boards with single bridges.

For the experts: any opinion on it?

Oh No ! Let me see if I can cancel the order. $22.00 shipping
What transformer(s) would you suggest for North America builders of the FE ?

soongsc

I may have missed it and it may not be all that significant, but I'm curious what source you are using for your listening tests. Are you using straight CDs or computer based uncompressed through a DAC.
Most of the time uncompressed upsampled CD rips without compression played through Indigo Echo io card via ASIO. At other locations, it depends on what they have. Today, there was Burmester player, pre and power amp. We just swapped power amps and interconnects. The speakers were lower end in comparison, but I cannot remember the brand. Due to the fact that those are current market items, in will not commend on any opinion related with their products.

But the owner's opinion on the amp I brought was that he felt some of the finer details were lacking a bit, and there was slight dullness in comparison with the Burmester amp. Some of this I know is due to the polarity of the music as I know, but also the slight lacking of the finer details was a comment that I thought would pop up. Personally, I did not like either setup mainly because of the polarity was in correct and the speakers were not on par with the other equipment. I think some more tweeks in my power will fix the detail problem, which also worried me.

The main purpose of this listening session was "what would happen if we put it in a setup like that."

Last edited:
squalor

I have purchased the 120-150VA 2x24V transformers from both Antec and ApexJr here in the U.S. They both work just fine with the MyRefs.

Antek - Transformers - Grid View

I don't see those listed. I Heard Mauro recomends a single Amveco 300VA 2x25 ? Dario, your Selectronics are 160VA 2x24V ? Does the FE bridge need the extra ground wires ?

I just got off the phone with Antek, nice people. Got the order changed to (1)AS1215 and (2)AS2224 Maybe better than the Ebay R-Cores and way better than the 220VA E-Core I use with the Twisted Pear boards.

When this build is over I thought about using the Twisted Pear boards in my car to run a pair of 4ohm tweeters; what would I need for that ?

Steve at ApexJr actually likes to deal with customers one to one over the phone. He even does his orders and invoices by long hand. He has a lot that is not listed and can zero in once he knows what the customer wants.

I'm sure you will be happy with the Antek units-as am I.

...and don't be fooled by Dario. I have it on good authority that he actually owns and prefers to listen to an old three tube Fischer receiver from 1966. :p

Last edited:
I don't see those listed. I Heard Mauro recomends a single Amveco 300VA 2x25 ? Dario, your Selectronics are 160VA 2x24V ? Does the FE bridge need the extra ground wires ?

The single transformer (either center tapped or double secondaries) is recommended for the oginal My_Ref.

The Fremen Edition needs two transformers with 2x24V (2x25V also good) secondaries.

Center tapped transformers are not suitable.

My R-Cores are 120VA 2x24V each.

...and don't be fooled by Dario. I have it on good authority that he actually owns and prefers to listen to an old three tube Fischer receiver from 1966. :p

Don't tell me he is trying to get tube sound out of this.:eek:

George,

rest assured I don't :)

Bob is simply kidding... ;)

BTW my real reference is Reader's Digest integrated hifi:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:rofl:

I wrote to the PCB manifacturer to ask the tracking number but no answer so far... :(

Today I've received the remaining parts from Mouser, including DN2540s (TO220 and TO92) to try the cascoded discrete CCS.

If temperature will be low enough to permit the use of TO92 only MOSFETs it should be easy to adopt them for the final release.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.