My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

The design born as double sided to take advantage of ground planes, among other things, so sorry no single sided (or double sided) are available for diy PCBs etching.

But if you want the GB for boards is still open for a few days, see my signature, they cost 22€/pair shipping excluded.

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I can't afford that price :( , most specially the shipping fee because I am from the Philippines. Thanks anyways :)

1543, what a build, that looks stunning! if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the potted toroid's?

I can also report complete success with my own FE mono blocks now. I got a new 300VA transformer to replace the noisy one, it arrived just before Christmas and I have since fitted it. No hum at all now! I even tried connecting my old Phillips CD player up to the system and it was still dead silent when play was paused.

I even disconnected the PGND connections as Dario instructed, still dead silent and if anything I think the soundstage might have grown even larger.

The FE's continue to amaze me. Thanks everyone and a very happy new year to all of you.

Happy new year everyone! :)

I can also report complete success with my own FE mono blocks now. I got a new 300VA transformer to replace the noisy one, it arrived just before Christmas and I have since fitted it. No hum at all now!
I even disconnected the PGND connections as Dario instructed, still dead silent and if anything I think the soundstage might have grown even larger.

:up:

I can't comment on the Mundorf Supreme, no experience. One option in that direction might be the Rike Audio S-Cap. I reviewed them in post #1058 of this thread. If you have a pair of K71-4, I would compare the high end sparkle as similar in character to the K71s, but with a nice improvement in clarity and dynamic range. They have the largest sound stage of any cap I have tried in my system. Overall, very nice, but with a specific character.

You can get them at hificollective at about 20 pounds. That is a little less expensive that TCs, but definitely more expensive than Supremes.

Thank you. I used to have k71 in pre and in combination with FE it had clean, huge sound stage but lack a lot in bass.
So then audyn put everything in place, but now I have ldr based pre and soundstage shrunk a bit with top end recessed. My concern is how to improve top end and sound stage without changing coherent sound of true copper...I might give a try to your suggested rike.
And first I put k71 in place of c13 :)

Are we talking about the same cap. No support needed here. A dab of hot melt glue or silicone could be added but wasn't necessary.

Attachments

• Breakfix (7).jpg
    Breakfix (7).jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 238
May I ask you please what would be worthwhile alternative to audyn true copper with bit more sparkle in high end?

Strange... True Coppers have a very transparent timbre... it's also true that newer ones are a tiny bit less open.

As I understood, Dario.. Your preferred c13 now is m cap supreme ? Is this right ?

Yes but it wasn't for timbre (Supremes sound fuller and a tiny bit less neutral than TCs) but for a strange form of hardness in details that DC coupling and other caps did not exhibit (mine were the older blue TCs.).

In other words TCs sound incredibly good with excellent source material with lot of inner detail but with less good recordings they exacerbates defects and sound harsher than DC coupling.

They seem to somewhat magnify details (and defects).

Did you try to DC couple, just to be sure the sparkle you want isn't missing elsewhere?

Are we talking about the same cap. No support needed here. A dab of hot melt glue or silicone could be added but wasn't necessary.

Bob, Ivan has the much larger new ones.

No. I did not try DC coupling yet. Would be good reference though. What requirement for a source would be ?
Tbh I m back slowly to my system, did not have time recently. My amp is not even finished fully yet. No grounding, no switch. I was thinking about what to do with oversized audyn tc , to remove them or to drill holes in h/sink and attach to there. Ideally I finish all things and out it on a shelf before my big business project kick off ( wish me luck :) ) after I ll have no time physically.