My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BTW the Caddock in R3 represent a significative improvement over the cement wire resisistor...

If the problem is cost you can order MP915 instead of MP930, same quality and quite lower cost.

thank you!

the thing is that i need only several Amstar caps and this Caddock, hence see no point ordering them from Mouser or other shop...
So was just curious about some other alternative like these Dales, for instance.

The repair work on my FE beta was cut short. My blood sugar hit 430, I am now officially diabetic. I spent my off days in doctors offices. :(

It's good to see so many people building the FE. I have faith that this is the highest current evolution of the 3886 based chip amp. Audiophile sound without the drawbacks of the Aleph series or 300Bset amps such as heat, cost or maintenance. How good can it get ?

I am a novice and I've had a few problems with mine so I hope some of you can learn from my mistakes.
1) clean your PCBs before starting work
2)use ChipQuick on SMD pads, use fine point tweezers and magnification to place SMD parts.
3)use 2% silver solder on SMD pads.
4)avoid over-heating LM318, BAV99, zeners and to a lesser caution LM3886.
5)on thru-hole parts, do not bend leads to hold parts in place before soldering and do not cut excess lead flush with solder joint. Cut your lead half the length of the stand-offs after soldering. This makes it easier to extract the part later if there is a PCB upgrade or mistake.
6)some parts need to be lifted a few mm from the PCB surface for better cooling
7)study the part direction arrows for the better tested orientation, including the SMD parts.
8)for those using styrene C13 caps, avoid overheating the leads.
9)trial fit the LM3886 to your heatsink to ensure your fastener will work as intended. Ensure that LM3886 is 90* to the PCB so it can attach to heatsinks and PCB can attach to stand-offs without stressing the solder joints.
10)plan your soldering session. Do not be rushed, plan quiet time. Have good lighting. Have pictures and thread replies nearby to consult. Have proto-board and cheap resisitors to get your iron heat just right and practice solder before touching the real thing. Warm the pad first, then roll to the lead and touch solder. When you get to the big smoothing caps you may need extra heat to solder to the ground plane.

Did I give good advice, did I omit anything ? Dario, Bob, can you guys add any advice to help RC builders be sucessful ? Since most of this thread deals with the beta build and there are differences with the FE RC will a new build thread be started.
When the main group buy gets going I may start fresh with new PCBs. Any chance they could be in the color Black ? I like the look of Black PCBs the best, blue second, green is just ok, orange is ugly to me.

Squalor, your openness is to be commended. Another way of saying "DIY' is "learn by doing". I cant list the mistakes and bone headed moves I have made (some here on the thread for all the world to see) in the last two years, but each time I gained some valuable knowledge. You are obviously highly intent on completing a successful FE build and I'm confident you will succeed. I have had to start afresh at least three times with various projects. Hang in there with us.

All of your points are valuable and accurate. I would only reemphasize double and triple check often and slowdown. Though at times it may feel embarrassing - never hesitate to ask questions and post problems. You and all the other folks here are some really good people - always willing to help and inform.

Good luck with your health. From what I know it is one of the most controllable conditions.

Last edited:
The repair work on my FE beta was cut short. My blood sugar hit 430, I am now officially diabetic. I spent my off days in doctors offices. :(

I'm sorry to hear that... :(

Did I give good advice, did I omit anything ? Dario, Bob, can you guys add any advice to help RC builders be sucessful ? Since most of this thread deals with the beta build and there are differences with the FE RC will a new build thread be started.

They're all god advices.

In the WE I'll open the thread while building my modules.

When the main group buy gets going I may start fresh with new PCBs. Any chance they could be in the color Black ? I like the look of Black PCBs the best, blue second, green is just ok, orange is ugly to me.

No, Joe, the PCBs will be blue.

PS
You have mail

Here are a couple links and some posts describing toroid vs R-core I did a few days ago. It is for a DAC but as you read, I'm also in the hunt for affordable Rs for my build.

This was discussed back on the beta thread and we even asked if linuxguru could find something in India - the shipping charges were still as much or more than the trani.

First impression
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a-199.html#post3098964

A/B Test
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a-201.html#post3100563

The size I bought for the DAC cary affordable shipping costs. The larger pieces are where the problem appears, specially for U.S. builders. If anyone finds something where the shipping is reasonable, please post.

atupi, I have enough needed parts that I could place an order early next week. If USPS will save you money I be happy to get what you want and send it along.

P.S. I just discovered Spotify yesterday. Could be a great tool for comparative listening for builders worldwide. Higher sound qualities require a $10 / Mo upgrade.

Last edited:

Exactly, you can see them on my brother's build:

292838d1343086555-my_ref-fremen-edition-beta-build-fine-tuning-dsc_0085.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.