My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can show you how I branched mine (see attachment and pay attention on traasnformer's label and colors order).

Colors are written in French:
Violet/Gris -> Purple / Grey
Bleu/Rouge -> Blue / Red

Your transformer do have a label with secondaries indication?

The build seems fine but I can't see the input cap... are you DC-coupling? :D

And smoothing caps? :)

Attachments

• IMG194 Wiring.jpg
    IMG194 Wiring.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Unfortunately this toroid doesn't have that detail on the label. What's in the picture is what I've been using on the V1.2 and V1.3 amps as well as the BrianGTs. Red/Hot (outside on terminal) wires to AC1 & AC2 - Black wires (Neut on above photo - two inside wires) to grounds. On Siva's V1.3 I used two ground wires direct from the Euro style terminal to include the extra ground terminal he put on that board.

Attachments

• HOT.jpg
    HOT.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
In the picture on post #126 the black and blue wires from the transformer form a continuity loop. The yellow and red wires form the other. Does that help? I have an extra Antek unit with info on label but it is 34V

Do you remember transformer data (VA, code, etc.)

On Antek website there are datasheets with secondaries indications

What's in the picture is what I've been using on the V1.2 and V1.3 amps as well as the BrianGTs. Red/Hot (outside on terminal) wires to AC1 & AC2 - Black wires (Neut on above photo - two inside wires) to grounds.

When you make a center tapped connection from a double secondaries transformer on centre tap goes neutral from one secondary and hot from the other.

So that connection is not right for the FE, you should discover which of the wires tied on center tap on RevC is hot.

On a spare (twin) If I connect one probe to either white AC supply wire on the toroid, there is NO continuity to any of the secondary out leads. Don't know where to go from here. :scratch1:

In the U.S. black is hot and white is common. I can assure which is which from the house service box all the way to the toroid, but with no indication of continuity on the toroid itself, It's only a guess.

I can hold off till I get a proper unit from Antek if that's your recommendation. It would be here by the end of the week

Attachments

• WWire.jpg
    WWire.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 345
O.K. I'll try to trace it down. Can you explain what is different between this and the MyRefs. I'm not understanding. Why is it more critical in this case?

See this picture from Decibel Dungeon (double secondaries to center tap, like in RevC):

trafo%20wiring.jpg

The dot indicates hot (phase). (read this)

In Rev C a center tapped transformer is needed since it uses a single bridge, the FE uses a double bridge, each of these bridges needs a secondary.

In center tapped connection virtual ground comes from secodaries wiring, in double bridge (and thus double secondaries) virtual ground come from the bridges.

On the transformer you should have a label like this:

traffolabel.jpg

(picture from Decibel Dungeon)

Or at least a model number so that you canfind a datasheet on manifacturer website.

The FE is wired like double bridge Gainclones:

Attachments

• F02-LM3886-power-supply.png
    F02-LM3886-power-supply.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 255
  • snub.reg.psu.png
    snub.reg.psu.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Understood. This has been my guide and I now see the differences. These ApexJr toroids are of the blue highlighted type..

I'll contact Antek in the morning. I have two of the correct toroids in the Integrated build but I'm not going there :rolleyes:

Thanks for your time and support.

P.S. I looked last year and only number on the label is a customer number. That's what one gets when buying "surplus" goodies :eek:

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Sounds great, but how did you determine that?

As you can see on decibel doungeon picture the dot (phase) on each secondary in on the upper lead, as it is on the primary.

So upper wire is AC (phase/hot) and lower one NAC (neutral).

But I see now that phase in your picture is inverted (lower lead), so it is the contrary:

AC1 Yellow
NAC1 Red

AC2 Grey
NAC2 Blue

But probably it works also like in the previous post but it would be out of phase.

Any transformer guru can confirm it? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.