My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As for safety, I would second the last post from Billo44. This is best practice for any DIY'ers and will best protect them in case of a fault (especially during first power-up) of an amplifier.

However, it does not mean one would be absolute safe just alone by earthing, so one must be as careful and cautious as one can be, double checking everything for proper connection, isolation of "hot" conducting parts, etc.

Only if several circumstances and conditions are met, one may build a true class-II device (or one with "functional earthing") that is reliably safe.

-------:-------

Mains transformer shields normally go (and must go) to Protective Earth.

-------:-------

Boards, yippieehh!

As for safety, I would second the last post from Billo44.
Hi Klaus,

Absolutely.

Can a floating amp with grounded case be suitable and safe?

Only if several circumstances and conditions are met, one may build a true class-II device (or one with "functional earthing") that is reliably safe.

Do you have some link to read for meeting Class II construction?

Mains transformer shields normally go (and must go) to Protective Earth.

Fine, I'll do that, thanks. :)

Just a curiosity:

In a certified class II device transformers are shield-less?

Boards, yippieehh!

WHOOPEEE ! :cheers:

Can't wait... :)

I'm not too bothered about the colour either.
Green is a fine colour...!

I'm nearly psyched up for a good soldering session...
problem is, some of these smd components are invisible to the naked eye!
A slight exaggeration perhaps, but you don't want to be dropping things that small on to my workshop floor if you are ever hoping to see them again.
I sense the need for a catch tray....

Still pondering the long term plan for passive pre etc.
Shunted pot, straight pot, LDR...?

Happy Holidays to our US forum fellows.... it's not a holiday we celebrate in the UK (or here in Japan) for some reason...!
Bill

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0028[1].jpg
    DSC_0028[1].jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 724
  • DSC_0029[1].jpg
    DSC_0029[1].jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 700
Boards look great! My guess is that they will arrive in the middle of a little motorcycle trip I have planned, so you guys will probably beat me to the finish line. That OK though. It will just give me a little something to think about when the road gets straight and boring.

Dario,

I agree with Bob's comment. Especially with the Euro exchange rate on the move, make sure you don't lose money on this. I would be happy to "correct" my contribution.

Jac

Multimeter

@SOIL4X4,

I was working on a little experiment to measure capacitor leakage current. That got me interested in meters for measuring small currents and voltages. I checked out your Amprobe AM-270. Wow! That's a great meter for a good price. Great accuracy, great functions, and I love how it measures from micro volts and amps to 1000VAC all in one unit. It also has one of the best capacitor measurement ranges of the handheld meters.

Nice pick. My 20 year old Fluke is starting to look lonesome.

Jac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.