My_Ref Fremen Edition - Beta build/Fine tuning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dario, I saw in post #11 that you are using r-core transformers. I've been reading on a few sites and the consensus appears to be R-cores for DACs and Preamps - toroids for power amps. Is there anything about the FE that would dictate a preference for either type?

My choice of R-Core is indipendent from the My_Ref or th FE.

In fact I'm using the same two 120VA 2x24VA R-Cores since my first gainclone.

R-Cores perform great in all applications, power amps included.

They sound full like an EI, radiate much less than a toroid and they're deadly silent (both in acoustic and electrical noise)

They're usually preferred for low voltage application since the great noise performance is of utterly importance in those apps.

When I've had the opportunity to try the Evolution I've used a single 120VA 2x24V R-Core, it soundend fuller and louder than a 225VA 2x25V Noratel toriod... ;)

Sadly they're not easy to find nor cheap in higher VA rating.

And - other than the standard LM3886 specs, what would be your recommendation for the highest allowable trani rating for this design? Just thinking ahead on final build/chassis configuration.

I recommend 2x25V transformers over 2x24V since the double bridge have a higher voltage loss.

But between a 2x24V R-Core and a 2x25V toroid I would choose the R-Core, at the end, when loaded, the R-Core will have more voltage.

For R-Cores 120VA per monoblock are good, probably 200VA is overkill.

For toroids, to have the fullness and regulation to make the amp sing, I wouldn't go less than 250VA per monoblock, better 300VA.

Thanks, That's interesting cause I'm also using the first two ApexJr toroids I bought cause all the newer Antek stuff is being used with other builds. I will look around for a good deal and give the r-cores a try.

Not to beat a dead horse - but this is a sweat deal for the speaker test platform unification idea. This is the same designer that did the Sunflowers and they are the best I have owned over decades. I follow the DIY speaker threads closely and these babies have received only the highest ratings since their introduction. For those who haven't built speakers or might be intimidated, take a look at the video.

Overnight Sensations MT Speaker Pair Kit 300-706

Thanks, That's interesting cause I'm also using the first two ApexJr toroids I bought cause all the newer Antek stuff is being used with other builds. I will look around for a good deal and give the r-cores a try.

You're welcome, as always :)

eBay sellers Along and atopelec both have 200VA r-cores (RN-160) but you need one with only two 25V secondaries.

Very interesting link :)

But I'm fine with my Alphas ;)

my name is AndrewT and I'm a audio-holic oh, yea, he's got it. We all do around here.

She want's me to sell my LS1 RX7 because my receiver project is over $500 ! Geez, her new flooring was almost $1200 ! BTW, Dario was telling me a way I could use my old My_Ref C in the 7 to power some big soft domes.

Attachments

• Pino15.JPG
    Pino15.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 253
my name is AndrewT and I'm a audio-holic oh, yea, he's got it. We all do around here.

She want's me to sell my LS1 RX7 because my receiver project is over $500 ! Geez, her new flooring was almost $1200 ! BTW, Dario was telling me a way I could use my old My_Ref C in the 7 to power some big soft domes.

What year model is that? If I recall correctly, that style started in 86'?

It's a '93 FD , they made FC from 86 to 92 and then made these from 93 to 01. The car hobby is my first love, and video games. I'm into computers too, case modding and overclocking. That hobby makes me want to do my own amp chassis instead of buying one. Overclocking is what made me ask Andrew about extreem cooling a chip amp.
Dario, remember sending me a link about running a My_Ref in a automobile ? I think you said (if I may repeat) think you'll need a DC-DC converter that outputs 30V (like this one), well two of them per boards so to make a bipolar supply then you remove the diodes and go direct to the big smoothing caps.

Dario, remember sending me a link about running a My_Ref in a automobile ? I think you said (if I may repeat) think you'll need a DC-DC converter that outputs 30V (like this one), well two of them per boards so to make a bipolar supply then you remove the diodes and go direct to the big smoothing caps.

You're right! Now I remember.

It's similar to Soongsc's MyRef using SMPS.

Maybe he could give additional help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.