My version of the G = 1000 low noise measurement amp (for Ikoflexer)

I don't have access to AoE till this weekend.
But I'll surely take a look.

But one of my question would be how to make sure the noise comes from the BJT itself,
and not from the supply (Vc) or the base (Ib).
One does need a constant and noise-free base current to bias the BJT, not ?

Patrick

I don't see how forced base current biasing is useful in this situation. Forcing collector current works fine the correlation is weak. I haven't seen anyone declare that there is some horrible inaccuracy in measuring the current noise of an op-amp by making a follower with gain and simply putting a big resistor in series with the non-inverting input.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yup, AOE uses a combination of precision resistors, feedback loop, and trimmer pots, to set VCE=constant1 with ICE=constant2. IBE is whatever it needs to be, to give the required ICE. They take pains to eliminate sources of noise other than the DUT itself. (DUT operates at room temperature).

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cooling is a whole lot of hassle for not much omprovement. If you arent doing IR maps of the cosmos there are easier ways to low noise. Quantech used trasformers on the resistor analyzer. Useful down to less than 10 Ohms.

I can supply the schematics for both the older and last gen semi noise analyzers. No magic. Good engineering and understanding of the problems.

A new generation of the transistor fixture using modern parts would be nice. Its complicated with several floating supplies and bias options.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, yes, a Peltier can get you down that far. As far as their necessity, I've only used them on EMCCD cameras, where we were down towards photon counting levels. The thermal noise reduction was absolutely necessary there, but it'd be awfully difficult to justify for *anything* audio.

Bipolars (silicon) don't work at 77K. For the most part only exotics work at cryo temperatures some even at 4K.

Aaaaahhhh! What the heck do they use on Mars for the Rover?

Did i mention the jesuit scholastic who got a kick of putting an oscar meyer wiener in the nitrogen flask, then hitting it with a mallet getting pork detritus all over the solid state lab?

True.

I couldn't remember if LN freeze-out was severe enough in Si to completely preclude minority carrier devices (i.e. thinking totally academically, not practically). Anyhow, I'll stop this sidebar, as it doesn't help further the cause of this thread. Cryogenic semiconductors are important in a number of fields, but except for a few folks' non-DiyAudio contributions, outside the scope of this forum.

It seems one can evade to SiGe BJTs.

< http://authors.library.caltech.edu/9341/1/WEIieeemtt07.pdf >

< https://hal.inria.fr/file/index/docid/253110/filename/ajp-jp4199404C616.pdf >

< Extreme-Temperature Electronics (Tutorial - Part 3) >

They are not exotic any more.

< https://www.infineon.com/cms/de/pro...html?channel=db3a30432b16d655012b1e9ec92d5b2d >

BFP640 behaves like a normal BJT, we have used them in masses.
Just a bit sqirrely, and their Early voltage is close to infinity. :)

Infineon bragged about extra low 1/f corners, but that was in microwave
context, nothing that would impress us here.