My take to the "Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so you didnt consider using the SMD versions of the wima films you have used liberally? or substituting evox/rifa/kemet or new panasonic PPS or PET SMD films? the design looks very good to me, but I would think it would be even lower noise with the SMD parts

or you chose through-hole to make it more appealing and easier for people in kit form? that would be totally understandable, because strangely there seems a perception that SMD is hard, I actually prefer it. same with the references. but those SMD version 431 are pretty dinky little sot323

Last edited:
That´s the point. SMD parts a hard to solder for me. So in my design we have normal through hole parts.
All critical decoupling caps are 2,5mm ones, so the SMD caps aren´t much smaller. ;)

very nice mate!! looks great. right OK sure, I guess i'm just lucky to still have very good eyesight and fine motor skills at 36 years old., ask me in another 20-30 years if I still like smd ;) but then by then things will probably be so small, DIY will be the skill of programing your desktop pick and place properly.

not so much the size, though thats a factor; in high speed designs, as you know, the lead inductance dominates.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Some additional photos from the working modules

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The +/- Power Supply Modules

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Shunt regulator Modules for the TDA1541A & additional Digital parts
Circuit design by Salas

The TDA1541A DAC Module

The Tube-I-Zator Output Stage Module

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Project finished !!!

The small problems on the -15V line of the regulator are solved.
I made a cap polarity fault on the silkscreen.
Thank´s for your support to find the problem, Salas.

I made a second small bug at the 74HC02. Perhaps it was a little late at the evening, i insert the IC in the layout... :p
All not used flip-flops are grounded, but i grounded not only the inputs. :eek:
Result was a short-circuit current that drops the whole +5V line. So for now, i lifted the three flip-flop outputs.

Thank god, both bugs were no big things :)

Also to Salas advice, i canceled all Wima film caps on the regulators.
Furthermore i changed all 220µF from Panasonic FM to Nichicon FG.
The current for all 4 regulators is set via a 10R 1% 5W resistor to ~200mA.
I used Vishay NS-5 non inductive, wire wound resistors here.

On the Tube-I-Zator side, the Wima MKP-10 output caps are changed to a pair ClarityCap MR.

The digital input comes from my iMac via USB to my Teralink X2 converter and from its I2S output to the TDA1541A DAC-Module.
At the moment the X2 gets the power over the USB connector, but i will change that.
It will be also connected to the 2nd +5V regulator module.

Now it´s time to burn in and in the meanwhile i solder the 2nd DAC-Module... :D

:cheers:

P.S.: The first sound out of my horns was :worship:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.