My Take on Threshold NS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: +/-12V supply?

gene57 said:
I could use a +/-12V SLA power source for the NS10 linestage, instead that the suggested +/-25V.
Do you see any necessary mods (component value), or problem involved?
Thanks,
Gianluca

1.what is SLA?
2.just go and try- you'll have less headroom and maybe not enough drive for your next stage,depending what this stage is.....

I think that you can go without changes

btw-try to search through thread for my post,where I say something about NS10 working with low voltage (after powering off )......
I don't remember exactly what I wrote,but I'm sure that voltage is scary low....

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
not exactly on topic but.........

My friend Oly is one big (like he like to say ) "Grand Pa Borbelly's" follower ...hehe
his newest "Borbelly influenced" analog stage for sheeeetyyyyyy CD players,usefull also as line stage.....
just a oic for now,I'll try to convince him to share schmtc too.....

Attachments

• oli op.jpg
    oli op.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 567
steenoe said:
Wow, thats a nice looking friend you have there, Choky!! Seems like a very kind type of guy:cool:
His schematics looks just as nice:) I just love that Borbely kind of stuff:) My solder iron feels like firing up;)

Steen:cool:

Edit: shoot me a pdf of that board and I will give it a shot:) Pretty nice indeed;)

Hey Steen, you never seem to sleep…:bigeyes:

Beautiful link Choky, nice guy and schematics. How come he does a series reg?:xeye:

Ynd how would you estimate combination of Zen v4 and NS compared to other preamps you've tried with?
Hi Stabist:) I just read through this wonderfull thread and think I missed your question:xeye: Well I actually did compare the preamps with a ZenV4! Well, I have used my BoZ and my BosoZ and the X-CC-CCS-BosoZ as well as the NS10! Let me tell you, they all sounds great:) The BoZ family is a bit more romantic sounding than the NS10:) I totally agree with Choky on that! The NS10 is pretty brutal as Choky stated! I like the X'ed BosoZ best:) But I guess thats a matter of taste, in the end:) I might add that the NS10 is way more powerfull than one would expect from a small transistor circuit like that:devilr: It drives the Zen and the F2 with ease;)

Steen:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
apassgear said:

Beautiful link Choky, nice guy and schematics. How come he does a series reg?:xeye:

I think that he have some practicall problems with "missing voltage " inside of some shhhhheeeettty CD player,where he put that stage as finall output; something like 2x15V is available ,so solution was to use what you have ,with generic series regs (317 and 337) ,with something
higher Iq through Jfets,just to compensate....

now we do something together as "dedicated muscular series-shunt reg"......or something like that.....

I always have place (read-another case,if I want) and tooboollar :clown: approach,and Oly is somewhat more realistic than I;we'll see what we will make at the end
;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, Choky

I have a great interest in your psu of BOZ, and I am thinking to reinforce my BOSOZ with a similar psu, which is a zener follower + source follower.

How do you and your tube friend Oly see this? Any advice? Tks.

Regards
jh

Attachments

• bozpsu.jpg
    bozpsu.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 404
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
jh6you said:
Hi, Choky

I have a great interest in your psu of BOZ, and I am thinking to reinforce my BOSOZ with a similar psu, which is a zener follower + source follower.

How do you and your tube friend Oly see this? Any advice? Tks.

Regards
jh

you mixed things twice:clown:

tube friend am I,and Oly is SS friend ;)

it's better to use exact copy of my (Oly's) BOZ reg,just because first BJT is also current source for zenner string.....less noise and overall better results

anyway-your version seems functionall ,too .....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I am confused again - my bad habit. :cuss:

Thanks for the reply, tube man Choky, and I believe yours must be good.

I was thinking to use NPN transistor and other components already in a junction box . . . :scratch2:

And, I was thinking that the arrangement of a zener regulation combined with an emitter follower will reduce zenner resistance, i.e. due to Rz/beta, so to reduce the ripple in a better way . . . In addition, the following source followers will purify the output voltage once again . . .

Could you give me a hint how yours reduces the noise?

Regards
jh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.