My Take on Threshold NS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
best way is to buy some new ones-like Jensen or Audio Note (UK,not Japan:devilr: ) ,just because every old cap is sort of lottery.......not if you scavenge them,like me :angel:

maybe is better that someone outbid you; when you want to buy (any) cap-look for tested on leak and ESR

I just reinvented boiled water for ya hehe

I like oilers ,(and Iron,too) especially with sand parts,just because I dont run away from that sort of silky sound

anyway-I like sound with PIO and motor caps ; each one in adequate position

As a matter of fact, I really look forward to hear the NS10 Megaclone with the Pearl. It takes some rebuilding, as my Pearl is somehow attached to my BosoZ:) Take a look here;) :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=504780#post504780 It just might be a perfect combination, dont you think??

Steen:cool:
best way is to buy some new ones-like Jensen or Audio Note
Both companies are Danish:D I might get some for cheap then?;)

steenoe said:
Ok, just to keep you guys from falling asleep:D :D I am working on a more "audiophile"-like version of the NS10. Attached is a pic of Choky's shunt reg supply. One for each channel, ofcourse;) I used small schotky's as rectifiers then 2200uf Nichicons, 100r 2 watts, then some Black Gates. (cause I had them in my box of caps:D ) Followed by good old BD's and 220uF FC's! What do think, will that psu do? Guess it will:) Mainboards will be stuffed with good parts too, you see the outputcaps on the pic:) 22uF MKP's. (Jantzen audio) The rest is FC's and Rifa polyprops and so on;) Will keep you posted about listening results;) I have great hopes for this little linestage, thats no secret:)

Steen,

That Megaclone is looking just wonderful with those shunt regs. I’m sure it will sound wonders with your beautiful Pearl.:cool:

:boggled: :radar:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steennnnnnnnnn........
what's happenin' with Mega Clone?

ps-seems that Choky must take potatoes from fire in last time

hehe,not only that I'm biggest EMT fan in the world :clown: ,seems that I'm biggest greenhorn hanged on NP's neck , at least this days.....

"Master,where is NS10 schm..........

which values those resistors have.......

what is da Fet in J .....

can I make Aleph with BD139 in output ....."

etc

:clown:

meet Choky......clown in the Village....:angel:

but who cares ,when we have that good lookin' Santa....:devilr:

I finished the second edition of this preamp. It surprise me how good it sounds. It has a very crisp and clear sound, yet very, very pleasant to listen to. Not excactly what you are used to with these small transistor linestages. Parts used are Panasonic FC's for electrolytics, all filmcaps are Rifa PHE426 except for the output cap which is a 22uF MKP-roll, its the big black thing hovering over the boards. The feedback B2B cap is bypassed with a 470nF Rifa. Transistors are MPSA18 and the pnp device is a BC560C. Resistors if you care are BC metalfilm's. The psu is a 50VA 2x25v potted donut, connected to Choky's "shunt reg" supply.
Its described a bit earlier in this thread. I used small schottky's for the rectifier and good quality electrolytics for the smoothing. With the better parts and a better supply, its like the curtain went up:) This little preamp actually sounds very good. I won't rebuild this one right away; it stays in the main system for a while.
(Except for a slight trace of buzz that I have to hunt down. I can hear it when I stick my ear to the speaker:cannotbe:)
To Choky: (and others who find it useful, ofcourse)
Current draw is 10ma on both the pos rail and the neg rail, so the current draw per channel is 20ma, as suggested earlier.
Here is, as usual, a piccy, of that little wonder.
Hope some of you find this information useful:)

Attachments

• ns10_megaclone_small.jpg
    ns10_megaclone_small.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 599
steenoe said:
I finished the second edition of this preamp. It surprise me how good it sounds.

It has a very crisp and clear sound, yet very, very pleasant to listen to. Not excactly what you are used to with these small transistor linestages.

The psu is a 50VA 2x25v potted donut, connected to Choky's "shunt reg" supply. Its described a bit earlier in this thread.

(Except for a slight trace of buzz that I have to hunt down. I can hear it when I stick my ear to the speaker:cannotbe:)
:)

Very nice indeed Steen, as usual, excellent work.:) :) :cool:

Most probably the buzz is coming from the power supply. Just to make a test, try bypassing the reference diodes (zeners) with a 0.22u MKP (if you are not using that already) and see what happens.

How about bass performance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.