My take on a discrete shunt voltage regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hifinutnut, have a look at what John Curl had to say about the capacitor used in Vref and the output capacitor. You may find this useful.

link to post #2066

For me the Vref cap would not cause any problem like the output cap could. In v1 and v2 I see it providing a AC path as the input to the regulator.

He uses a 0.1uF at the output of the regulator.

I remember that you mentioned before that your regulator does not like a high Q film capacitor at the output. Have you tried it?

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"He even provided a MOD to his circuit so that for those who stubornly insisted on using local bypass could use it without having the resonance."

Hifinut, I did quite a bit of simulation on the Jung SR a few years ago and came to the conclusion that although it may have superb noise and transient response performance, it quickly suffers from phase margin problems when the output is loaded with a cap. I thing a simple series reg followed by a shunt is the way to go.

I replaced the output electrolytic capacitor with 0.5R + 4 x 2.2uF (MKT) ||. The sound further improved. The difference is not small.

Tomorrow, I will try 0.5R + 1.1uF (MKP). If it does not work, I will increase the uF until it works, otherwise,, I will reduce the R to 0.2R. If it still works, I will remove the R. If it still works (I don't think so), it will stay that way. The cap ESR is only 0.003R. Some of these will first be tested with no load because I worry about a severe resonance may kill the expensive OPA627 (or not?)

I will have 2-3 v2 regs for my XO/EQ circuits housed within the same chasis.

For raw DC, one transformer, one bridge (shottky diodes rated at 3A), 3300uF || 0.1uF ceramic, then for each regulator, 5.1R output. In front of each regulator, 2200uF || 0.1uF MKP infront of CCS-shunt. This is effectively a CRC for each regulator but the first C is shared, and the last C is installed on the regulator board (instead of the raw DC board) to provide shorter AC loop.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I have just done the 1.1uF (Vishay Blue box MKP) + 0.5R output cap experiment.

I did not expect any difference from the MKT but the result was otherwise.

The regulator now sounds as good as I can hope for. It is very HIGH-END! I am not sure if I can find any fault with it. So the 1.1uF stays. I may still push it to the limit by trying different Rs to get the optimal value.

Thanh, it should be Ikoflexer to answer your question. But the experts have been silent for a couple of days now. And I have my questions pending for answers, too.

I think the wima mkp10 2.2uF is good. You may try it without the padding resistor and report back. I have not done that yet.

When thinking about how my 1.1uF can be successful - the regulator has a low impedance until some hundreds of kHz. Below that an output cap / bypass cap would have little use. Since the frequency is high, we probably don't need a large cap in there. I am now thinking about perhaps a 0.1uF might do, as Ikoflexier suggested reading the post of JCarr and in his he used 0.1uF. I have not read the Blowtorch thread so I don't know what circuit JCarr referred to.

With regards to silver mica, I have a few of them but these days don't think of using them. They are good and linear and can work at high frequencies. But usually the frequency range concerned would be well above 1MHz region in which they may have an advantage over the ordinary MKP. But we can't hear that high. I would be happy to use a ceramic. I also read that an experienced guy adviced that silver mica should not be used for DC but AC only, because in a few years of time the silver mica would create a large leakage, or some other probelm which I can't remember any more.

Have you built a v1.5 or v2 yet? Used in analogue or digital circuit? If for digital, I would not worry about the output cap as much.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Ikoflexer, Could you explain the purpose of C3 in your schematic? I am wondering if it has a sonic signature on the regulator or not.

OK, just got back from groceries shopping (what a pain!). Anyway, C3 has a funny role here. Some people call it a bootstrap capacitor. It boosts the psrr quite a lot. I don't have any comments about how it affects the sound.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I replaced the output electrolytic capacitor with 0.5R + 4 x 2.2uF (MKT) ||. The sound further improved. The difference is not small.

Tomorrow, I will try 0.5R + 1.1uF (MKP). If it does not work, I will increase the uF until it works, otherwise,, I will reduce the R to 0.2R. If it still works, I will remove the R. If it still works (I don't think so), it will stay that way. The cap ESR is only 0.003R. Some of these will first be tested with no load because I worry about a severe resonance may kill the expensive OPA627 (or not?)

Good idea to test with a passive load first. I too always do that. It's different when you build something out of a kit, that's been built by hundreds of people and such. Here we're on the bleeding edge, so to say. So far I managed to build a prototype of each of these regulators and made sure it works as expected, but these are rough tests. I've had so many promising ideas for improvement lately that I couldn't stop at one version to test very subtle things like, say, the proper capacitor in a certain position. So I kept on moving. Hopefully I'm converging soon on a version and then start addressing these subtle issues. But you guys are already ahead, so I'll have a lot of catching up to do.

I used quite a few of these in my active line level filter circuit and they are great. They are 1% so they fit my application very well.

Polystyrene sounds very good. Only about 3 weeks ago I compared a pair of 1uF polystyrene to the 1.1uF Vishay blue box as the output cap of my opa627 buffer (for test only, otherwise I don't use an output cap) and there are tiny differences but they are at the same performance level. That pair of polystyrene sounded maybe a touch more musical but also a touch "too much" high frequency sparkle therefore I still choose my 1.1uF. It may be more system dependant rather than one is better than the other.

If you look at the technical specs, polypropylene is better in some parameters and polystyrene is better in others.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Some people use capacitor multipliers before the regulator. Something like this can improve the psrr even more, at the cost of a few parts and a voltage drop of a few volts. I haven't tried it yet in a real circuit, it's just to throw the idea in for discussion.

Attachments

• capmult1.png
    capmult1.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 465
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.