My table project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all i have read most post with great intrest and got a great deal of inspration i had been toying with the idea of building a table for so time, after reading i decided to give it a go.

So the first thing i did was get a local engenier to make me a bearing i have ended up with a very close copy of the Teres Audio Bearing cost on this came in well under US$80 the outer portion made out of Bronze the inner out of Stainless

The platter and plinth are made out of layers of 4mm marine grade Aluminium and 19mm plastic chopping board all of these materials where scrap no cost

The spikes are maid out of modified brass plummig fittings cost less than US$12

The steel Ball Bearings dont do anything other than look cool

Any opinions good or bad are most wellcome.

My Table Project

GazzaFloyd,

I think you are well on your way if you have a bearing like the Teres. I feel the bearing is very important and can be costly to buy a good one. Are you using a ball bearing in the bottom under the spindle?

Your platter and plinth sound interesting. How many layers of each are you using and how ar they joined/bonded?

I have toyed with the idea of building or modifying my table, but the machining sounds expensive.

Can you post a picture?

Yes to the ball bearing

platter made of 2 plastic chopping board & 2 4mm aluminuim

plinith 1 4mm alum with a layer top and bottom of plactic

plastic layers are 19mm thick

the bulk of the machining I did my self not the bearing though

there is no bonding all layers are fixed with non reactive screws

I have just finished making a Clamp/weight out of Bronze which has a 70mm dia 55mm high weight 1.1kg

I dont know what i will do about arm

motor most likely a Gerrard

thanks fo the intrest latter

Picture

GazzaFloyd,

I saw your picture of your table in the "Lets make a DIYAudio TT" thread. Looks good. I like the plinth. What is the plate on the bottom for? I assume to mount the bearing and add mass.

How will you mount the arm?

Will you use a belt or thread for the drive?

progress on my table

I have made some progress and had a set back , on the side of progress my tonearm and pod are a resounding sucess made out of 100mm aluminum pipe with about 2kg of lead inside made the centre pivot out of brass with a steel rod sitting on a single ball have built in veraical height adjustment the counter weight is more brass on a threaded rod and is decoupled from main arm witch is made of more brass (tube wall thickness less than 0.5mm) wire silver.

The set back is the motor I could not get the Gerrard to run the platter at a stable speed I am currently playing around with a motor out of a 5" floppy disk drive it spins at 360rpm have made a pully with a diametre of 29mm my platter is 305mm and spining great so at this point my set back may be a blessing.

Over all the sound i am getting has blown away my old setup a Rega i keep hearing new things on records that i know very we the lack of noise from the table is amasing.

Any opions on my table welcome.

Attachments

• img_1210.jpg
    img_1210.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,535
Another Photo

Also having some luck with the 5' floppy disc drive motor listened to 5 or 6 records with no speed fluctions the belt has been changed was using cotton thread am now using a peice of DLT computer back up tape about 10mm wide truly amasied how well it grips the platter will start turing it from a cold start platter weight with record clamp is at least 6kg.

Attachments

• arm4shot.jpg
    arm4shot.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,899
Hi,

Great work.

One suggestion, if i saw it right from the pics, the internal cabling exits are 20 to 30mm further than the toneram pivot point. Get it as close you can to pivot, by doing it the cables will have the least effect on the tonearms free movement.

Cheers
Padel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.