My Sachiko Build Process

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stuffed... I actually took about 1/2 of this out before i sealed them up.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/Speakers/DSC_3943.jpg

Test AN8's in.. and ready to go...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/Speakers/DSC_3940.jpg

yea... maybe not perfect.. but this is the testing room.. also knows as downstairs.. when the glue dries.. they go upstairs.. anyone wanna come help move them? lol

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167/jhmcat/Speakers/DSC_3942.jpg

WOW... amazing.. and i am sure i have airleaks all over the place.. i cant wait til they are dried and put in thier place.. The saound is amazing.. The bass is nice and tight.. (i only listened to a few tracks, i was too excited.. i wanted to glue them up). The misd and highs are fantastic. Its amazing the clarity i am getting out of these.

Scott.. :worship:

i will take some more photos tomorrow.. Now i need an amp.. Anyone out there with a tube "project" they want to sell on the cheap... (fingers crossed)

Does that mean you like them then Jeremy? :)

You'll find the LF will improve once you get the cabinets glued up. The AN won't have quite as much LF gain as the 206, but the cab isn't lacking from the gain POV, so the overall balance should be good -you should feel the LF in your chest when you crank them up, like a pressure-wave. What's the image size like?

BTW -love the veneer. Beautiful work mate. :cheerful:

Great pics
i am half thru my sachiko and hope to finish on wednesday

For now do you find you need a supertweeter to add presence in the top?

I am using my fostex 206 in my new constructed BVR Bruce and find them needing a super tweeter.

Dave/planet10
trying to get in touch with you, i want to get some of your phase plugs. Can you pm me to make contact. i need 2 pairs

THanks
nicholas

Hello,
As I am awake, thought I might comment. I have been using my Sachiko's since December and am still in love with their sound. Have tried a number of amps- kt66,88,el34, 6l6, and of course 300B, which sounds best to me. The imaging is simply excellent, both in height and depth as well as width. Sweetspot is quite small, as expected. I will not be moving these speakers on for some time I am sure.
I use 206 drivers. I have a pair of Foster supertweeters, if anyone coud tell me how best to connect these up i would be grateful, as would'nt mind adding them on for a trial-and of course because its something to do.
Cheers.

Sachiko in progress

I have been reading some of the comments from early 2008 (and prior) as I try to get the confidence built up to start assembling a pair of Sachiko's I am building for a friend. He gave me a set of plans in September and I began cutting and edging the plywood (3/4 inch cherry ply, edged with 1/2 or 3/4 inch cherry.) I just discovered your site as the source of these plans and was happy to see other Sachinkos finished or in production.
I don't know what effect the solid wood will have on the sound but it has been securely glued using floating tenons (Festool's Dominos, if you are familiar with the product) and no gaps exist. I flush trimmed the edging to the ply to get as smooth a surface as possible. I plan to post some pictures too as msoon as I learn how that is done. I don't think it is a one step process.
Anyway, this looks like an informative site and I'm looking forward to any advice you folks can offer.
Marc (in Millers MD)

Piece of cake!

Want to build a pair of these for a friend, whats the man hours involved if you considered it?

I've built two pair. Depends on how good of a woodworker you are. Took me probably 25 to 35 hours depending on if you count driving to the plywood store, unloading, sawing down pieces to manage for the table saw, measuring, measuring twice, cutting, cutting the pieces over again that get messed up, labeling the pieces so it isn't a puzzle laying it all out, sanding off the rough edges, laying the pieces out, measuring the pieces again, glueing all the pieces to one side, laying the other side back on and glueing up. Wait 24 hours, open it back up and laying caulk in all the edges just to make double sure there are no air gaps, putting the side that isn't glued back on, spreading the glue again, clamping up again, unclamping again...almost done but not really. Hours of sanding, finishing and then having someone help you carry them out of the shop since they are too heavy to manage by oneself. Mount the binding posts, wire the driver, mount the driver. Oh yeah, that's just one speaker...you need to build TWO. Ahhhh....piece of cake. Better be good friends! :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.