My Ref-T amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
panomaniac said:
Hey Brian,
Sorry to hear that you fried one, but that's what research is all about, right?
Maybe you found that weak connection between channels.

Yes, research is all about blowing things up and money ;) I'm pretty sure it was that weak electrical connection I was told about... Any idea why they are connected like that internally anyway? That doesn't make much sense to me.

panomaniac said:
Your idea of 2 regulators is still good, as I suspect a lot of the crosstalk on these amps is coming thru the power supply rail.

I can attest to that as the width and depth of the Ref-T's stereo image was better than my amp3.

panomaniac said:
I've been busy this week, bit should have some interesting tests to show for it.
A sneak preview:
Batteries may not be as quiet as you think.
Linear PSU is better than SMPS, but SMPS is very good, done right.
T-Amp pulse response is good and be made better. (Almost perfect)
Switching harmonics can be improved.
Noise comes from places you wouldn't suspect.
Most T-amps have a noise floor lower than your CD player.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to trying one of your Ref-Ts.

You have been busy! Don't worry, you'll be one of the first to torture one on your test bed :hot:

Awaiting Postings

I purchased an SI about 5 weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised with the clarity and breadth of soudstage. I went from the AA baterries; to a 9V 1000 MA walwart; and currently using a 12v 4 ampere linear VeCor power supply. The bass got better with each change of of the power supply.

I have, since, been assembling parts to mod the SI, and the transformer to complete an Amp6. I purchased 2 more SIs, and they showed up in less than 48 hours after ordering. I have been breaking them in awaiting parts so I can modify them.

I have been reading, and reading, and reading, regarding Tripaths. There is a wealth of information on the net. I am really most interested in the progress of the Ref-T AMP. I was saddened to read of the torched chip, but it seems that experience has yielded greater knowledge.

Panomaniac, your websites have provided me with a great number of ideas, and a consolidation of the various tweaks. Thank you. I really am interested in your latest set of measurements in light of the Ref - T Amp approach to PSUs. Thank you for sharing your measurments to date.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Re: Awaiting Postings

Davet said:
I purchased an SI about 5 weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised with the clarity and breadth of soudstage. I went from the AA baterries; to a 9V 1000 MA walwart; and currently using a 12v 4 ampere linear VeCor power supply. The bass got better with each change of of the power supply.
These little guys are pretty amazing. The price/performance ratio is really astounding considering some of the other stuff that's out there.

Davet said:
I have been reading, and reading, and reading, regarding Tripaths. There is a wealth of information on the net. I am really most interested in the progress of the Ref-T AMP. I was saddened to read of the torched chip, but it seems that experience has yielded greater knowledge.
Thanks for the interest Dave. I just got some more chips in today so the amp will be back up and running in no time. We've certainly learned some of the limitations regarding the power supply implementation if nothing else.

Davet said:
IPanomaniac, your websites have provided me with a great number of ideas, and a consolidation of the various tweaks. Thank you. I really am interested in your latest set of measurements in light of the Ref - T Amp approach to PSUs. Thank you for sharing your measurments to date.
I think we're all interested in seeing what else Michael can tell us about these amps. A big thank you is definitely in order for sharing all your findings with us. :nod:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Re: Re: Awaiting Postings

BWRX said:
I just got some more chips in today so the amp will be back up and running in no time.

She's alive and playing music! The replacement opration was tricky because the large caps are so close to the chips pins but I did it without melting the caps' sleeve too bad.

This time I have the 3 regulators of the Ref-T hooked up to a single regulator that's powered from my large linear supply. The overload light came on when I first powered it up and I said oh sh!t, but when I unmuted the amp the light went off and I was relieved.

I had to readjust the DC offsets - they're now 0.07mV and -0.03mV :) - because I adjusted them before I replaced the chip, but that was it. She's sounding good again. Can't wait to see how the new boards compare to this one. Expect to see some info on the new boards in about a week.

That's a UCD180 module in the top left corner of the photo. I still need to fix that too...

Attachments

• dsc01640.jpg
    dsc01640.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 708
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I'm sure both the chip and the components are a factor in the amount of DC offset. The tolerances of the input components obviously contribute a bit, as do the tolerances of the output filter components.

I only tweaked the pot on one channel after I fried the chip, so when I put the new one back on the offsets were something like 10mV and 150mV. Before I fried the chip they were basically 0mV.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The DC offset we talk about is the amount of DC voltage there is at the output terminals of an amplifier. To be able to adjust the output DC offset with the Tripath TA2020/21B/24 you need to add some simple circuitry to the input section. It can be measured by simply setting a multimeter to DC voltage and placing the probes on the output terminals of the channel you want to measure.

The adjustment circuit that is implemented on the Ref-T can found on page 13 of the Tripath TAA2008 data sheet.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
However, some multimeters don't read the DC offset very well because of the RF in the signal. The best way to trim the DC offset is with an oscilloscope, if you can.

Otherwise you might be able to build a little LC low pass filter to use in front of your meter, if it's a problem.

Ok, thanks but i think i wait with that mod...
Anyway i have-if i can read it right -0.031mv and -0.056mv.
Its thats something to bother about?

Is it important what mark you have on C10?
I read a lot about Panasonic?
I just put in one 1000 uF but not realy hear any difference.
Also ordered some Audyn-Cap Plus 1 uF.
Didnt take the 2.2 uF beacause my computer speakers dont go lower than 60 hz, but hope i get smother highs.

:)

Solve

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You don't have enough DC to worry about. So don't worry. :D

The Panasonic FM caps work very well for reducing RF noise. They should also be good for dynamics, as they are quick. Can you hear the difference? Maybe...

The Audyn 1uF should be an improvement for you in mids and highs. You'll get down to 60Hz, no worries.

Thanks panomaniac !

Have some stupid questions anyway...
What is RF noice?
Is it the clicks from another machine?
Just guessing...?

If i look at your site panomaniac

"Yeah!! The site is one year old last month. Look at the hit counter below. Wow! Over 220,000 hits in the first year"

So i think we ALL want to know more!
And in the easyway...
Maybe not so matematic but," if you change that you get more
bass or less".

We love to hear that!

Not to stop your conversation what the mass dont understand!
Please!
Its DIY.

Anyway, my impression from T-Amp.
Sounds very three dimensional, havent heard so good music
for a long time since a stumbled over a reading about T-Amp!
But i dont like the highs, its to sharp for me so i try some new
Audyn-Cap Plus 1 uF and see if its just bull or maybe just
that small difference that you audiophiles looking for.
Hope its not!

I love when it comes cheap things that you can DO something
with!
So, in somehow im an DIY by heart!
Keep going!
I be back with my listening result later.

Thank you.

Solve

Caps

Well i got my new Audyn-Cap Plus now.At first i was a littel dissaponted.I waited for more to happens...anyway i leaved it on for an few hours.I dont now when or what happend but suddenly
the bas range came!
And what an boost!
Almost to much for me.
But, do you realy have to burn in those caps?
Dont understand what happens.
It could be my T-Amp who also got "the hours".
But shure it was an nice improvement!
Everythings sounds much more smother now.
Im very pleased!
Thank you all for this mod tip.

Solve

Re: Noice

Solve said:
I have a lot of soft noice comming when i max the amp on iddel.
Is there anything i can do?
Sorry im alwayes gonna be an noob on this...

Solve

The amps noise is there 100% regardless of the volume setting. Put shorting plugs on the input jacks and see if the noise goes away. If it does you are hearing noise from your source. If you were hearing it only with the amp inputs open this means practically nothing as the noise is probably being picked up from the air and will go away if it is connected up.
There is another possibility I won’t go into unless the noise is still there with the shorting plugs installed.
Roger

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Some more good news and bad news. I managed to somehow damage the chip that I just replaced. I don't even know what I did but both the fault and overload LEDs are lit and I can't get them to turn off. There is 2.4 some volts bias on both inputs and both outputs float around 6.7VDC when the amp is muted but both outputs on one channel go to 14V when the amp is unmuted. It's possible that I shorted out the DCAP when I removed my metal heatsink but I don't know for sure. I may try to replace the chip one more time if I can gather the courage to do it again.

Anyway, the good news is that the new boards came in today! I'll build one up tomorrow and report back. The boards came out better than the last batch too because I enlarged the spacing between different signals by 4 mils and that removed all instances where the copper pour was very close to some pads on the Ref-Tv1.0 boards.

Here's a shot of the top and bottom of the new boards next to an amp3 board for comparison.

Attachments

• dsc01643.jpg
    dsc01643.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 497
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.