My recent power amp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

Looks like an interesting design - However, I fear it may have a low gain margin (phase margin) and could lead to instability on some speakers...

Someone suggested a capacitor to form a HF feed-back loop just around the op-amp to avoid the phase lag of the output stage at HF.
Where would that go?

Jennice

got it!

sajti,

I got the schematic from the link! It really looks interesting, have you built it?

Here it is so everyone can see...

Attachments

• mjl300.jpg
    mjl300.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 553
I tried the suggested 33pf on the opamp output to the inverting input and experimented up to 150pf. When using 150pf, the high frequency response seems to be becoming less harsh. I'll try more values but have run out of caps to use :) I also soldered it directly under the pcb.

This prototype uses TO-3s for the ops.

Cheers!
JojoD

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 378
Jennice said:
Hi everyone,

Looks like an interesting design - However, I fear it may have a low gain margin (phase margin) and could lead to instability on some speakers...

Someone suggested a capacitor to form a HF feed-back loop just around the op-amp to avoid the phase lag of the output stage at HF.
Where would that go?

Jennice

Of yourse I didn't build this amplifier. I will do some adjustment to get the best stability.
The capacitor You asked, have to put between the -input, and the output of the opamp. Maybe some series RC network works too.

Sajti

So, I put together the amplifier, Yesterday evening.
It works good, but not sound as good, as my low feedback amplifier. There is something - maybe distortion- at the top end. I checked with scope, and there was no ringing or oscillation.
I will try to make some fine adjustment today.

Sajti

JojoD818 said:
Hi guys,

Thought I share this amp to my fellow diyers. Not that hard to build but it sounds good enough for me. :cool:

I've tested it with an OPA134 but even an LM301AN will work. Outputs in the prototype are MJL21193/4 (TO-264) but I've tried/tested MJ15003/4, MJ15024/5 (TO-3) with good results. That means it will work with anything you have laying around ;) .

Supply for the prototype is only +/-50V but has also been tested with a +/-70V. If you use the higher supply, better use a bigger heatsink.

Sound is, as I said, good enough for me. I'm planning on using this for mid-high applications but have also tried it for a 10" dual voice coil subwoofer.

JojoD

The reason that this circuit doesn't perform at higher freq. is the op-amp. Yes op-amps are wonderful, but there are so many transistiors integrated on the chip that miller capacitance will destroy your slew rate. I bet this circut has some harmonic distortion when pushed above 70-80 percent.

:angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.