My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Ah, you mean near-field vs. far-field frequency response. OK...

We will EQ this thing quite a lot, so expect more or less flat anechoic (near-field) response, the target is within +/- 1 dB.

When it comes to bass, we wish to try to put the -10 dB point around 25 Hz. Lets see if the woofer can handle that.

catapult said:
Hi guys. I'm late to the thread. Those looking for big OB bass arrays may be thinking of Monte Kay's theater project. He uses 24 x 15" subwoofer drivers in W frames for the bass and OB line arrays for the mains. :eek:

Thanks for the link !
enough never seems to be enough (I'd need another 20 of my 15" - too much - definitely)...

But to be serious - distrbution of that sub's is great all over the room - very impressive performance

StigErik - beautiful woodwork - looking foreward to your measurements

Michael

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Here's the latest development. I've finished one baffle, and mounted the drivers. The second baffle will be done tomorrow.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi StigErik,

They look really great! I look forward to see the measurements. In a previous post you stated that you aim at crossover points at 150 and 1500 Hz. I would definately try out a higher crossover point between the 21" and the 8" (e.g. 200-250 Hz). In case a higher crossover point is feasible without compromising the sound in the low mids, the higher mids will probably benefit from doing so:)

BTW: I have just purchased a pair of Beyma TPL-150H (the horn loaded version of the AMT driver) for my horn rig, and I am clearly impressed by this tweeter!

Best regards
Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
It will be 200 and 1500 Hz. We moved the XO up to 200 with the 18" prototype as well. 250 may be a bit too high for the 21", but we'll try anyway.

The TPL150 is truly great. It sounds absolutely wonderful, has very high sensitivity, and can handle LOTS of power. What other tweeters can do all that? I guess none.

StigErik said:
The TPL150 is truly great. It sounds absolutely wonderful, has very high sensitivity, and can handle LOTS of power. What other tweeters can do all that? I guess none.

More than enough sensitivity to match a W22EX001. Also it can handle a 1kHz crossover point and a lot of power..... ;)

*Power handling: 40 watts RMS/160 watts max *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 2.9 ohms *Frequency response: 800-20,000 Hz *Minimum crossover frequency: 800 Hz at 12dB/octave or more *SPL: 92 dB 1W/1m

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Thats a good one there, but consider that the Beyma has 7 dB (99 vs 92 dB) higher sensitivity and 3 dB (80 vs 40 W) higher power handling... thats a 10 dB difference.

An other good example is the Stage Accompany SA8535 ribbon, but its useless below 1700 Hz, and its not dipole.

StigErik said:
Thats a good one there, but consider that the Beyma has 7 dB (99 vs 92 dB) higher sensitivity and 3 dB (80 vs 40 W) higher power handling... thats a 10 dB difference.

And roughly another 8-10dB added if enough shouldn't be enough

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1840076#post1840076

StigErik, take special care on measurement of the resonace in the bass from your quasi U-form shape

Michael

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Yeah! The speakers are up and running now. Crossovers and woofer EQ is slightly adjusted by ear so far, based of course on the last prototype with 18" woofer. Only the woofer should be significantly different. Will do the measurements later! Just HAD to test them.... XO is at 200 and 1500 Hz.

The baffle with the drivers weighs approx 40 kg. I've added 40 kg concrete tiles at the base. The speaker is very stable now, very little vibration, and sounding *much* tighter and controlled than the last prototype.

And yes - the 21" woofer is awesome! Exceptional sound quality, and it can produce lots of bass without problems. The low B of a 5-string bass guitar (29 Hz) is reproduced cleanly even at high listening levels. The speaker can play VERY VERY loud, much louder than the last prototype with the 18" woofer.

The power amps I'm using right is all my own "Dvalinn" brand ICEpower amps. There's 1000W/4ohm for the woofer, 250W/8ohm for the midrange, and 125W/4ohm for tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.