My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
mige0 said:

four 18" !
:D

Yes - within its limitations - the bass quality of OB is second to nothing IMO

Michael

I've listened to my OB prototype for a while now, so it was time to turn back to my reference - the big Gjallarhorn 418 towers with its four 18" in sealed boxes. Its was quite interesting.... and disappoiting! Especially the bass is nothing like the OB speaker at all. Yes, there is more LF extension, but the bass quality is far from what I achieved with the OB experiment. The OB also presented a larger stereo image with more depth.

I guess the next project will be to redesign my 4-way towers to become OB speakers. Maybe four 21" per side will do? :D

StigErik said:

I guess the next project will be to redesign my 4-way towers to become OB speakers. Maybe four 21" per side will do? :D

There was a guy who did *a lot* of 15" in OB - basically from side wall to side wall and to maximise count he did fold 'em slightly.
I was searching for his page but couldn't find any more.

I guess he found what he was looking for in bass...
;)

I's been Beymas as well IIRC !

Michael

mige0 said:

There was a guy who did *a lot* of 15" in OB - basically from side wall to side wall and to maximise count he did fold 'em slightly.
I was searching for his page but couldn't find any more.

ultimate_subwoofer.jpg

Bert Doppenbergs system at BD Design, but not OB:
Total 12" woofers used - 32 x Beyma 12BR70 (16 per channel)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I may be wrong, but as I remember it, it is originally a very big basshorn thats been rebuild and "reversed", with multiple subdrivers mounted in the horn mouth, using the horn as closed "box"
I believe its a BD customer, or member of his forum or something

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, it does sound like its Doppenbergs own last big basshorn, converted into this multi woofer arrangement

But though its not OB as mentioned, it very well could be :cool:
When I first saw it some time ago I actually thought of doing a similar multi woofer setup, but in a dipole design with AEs cheap IB15 :)
But I dont have the space fore it yet, but I may have in a few years
But I reckon I will consider it a bit too crazy

I dont know, but with better woofers, less than half the woofers might do just the same, if spread out a bit more

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Time is the main problem now... and the 21" Beyma woofers have not yet arrived. I've redesigned it a little bit to avoid too many weird angles, making it easier to assemble. The MDF boards are sitting in my garage right now!! Hopefully my and my buddy Lars will have time to work in the project again next week.

Below is the latest design, I call it Prototype MKII.

We will make the cutouts behind the mid and tweeter a bit wider than shown here to avoid cavity resonances.

Attachments

• dipol14.jpg
    dipol14.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 2,391
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
An interesting lesson learned from my OB project is that internal damping in closed boxes affect the sound a lot more than I though. My big Gjallarhorn towers are closed box, and I stuffed the entire volume, right up to the rear of the drivers. Bad idea! After removing most of the damping (leaving some to avoid resonance), it sounded more like the OB... especially the bass quality and stereo imaging.

Almost every time I do new project, there is something to be learned.... :)

Interesting observatrion..

I usually don't - well - didn't - stuff too much but its mainly been 2 way.
So from that I'm light at experience - despite I got mad by the "bong bong" sound creeping in after a while with anything I tried to get rid of it.

*But* there was a very early DIY closed speaker from my brother - guess it must have been 3 decades or more ago - that I remember having had outstanding bass.

When I disassembled I found it
- not really tight (no seal / not much screws - most pretty loose in the chipboard)
- stuffed by fibreglass completely (the stiff one used for bottom insulating) with hardly any room between the boards or towards the speakers basket

very interesting - no explanation - not measured anything - unknown el cheapo speakers

Depending on frequency range of interest with respect to box size you might get away with no stuffing at all - as done in many sub's

Good luck to both of you!
Michael

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Finally! I've had time this weekend to work on the second prototypes. The driver cutouts differ at bit from the drawings I've presented, partly because they would be too much work...

Here are some photos of the baffle plates. More will follow when its all assembled!

Attachments

• dsc_0553.jpg
    dsc_0553.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,876
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.